Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Navigation Radio

cmastriano
05-16-2005, 11:24 PM
I am trying to find out how to disable the safety feature on the 05 navy radio. I heard there is a cd that you put in and press disable and you can watch dvds while you are driving. It will play dvds in park but not once you put it in gear. Please let me know if anyone knows anything about this.

tonytone
05-18-2005, 02:11 PM
I am trying to find out how to disable the safety feature on the 05 navy radio. I heard there is a cd that you put in and press disable and you can watch dvds while you are driving. It will play dvds in park but not once you put it in gear. Please let me know if anyone knows anything about this.
What you describe can't be done on the nav radios found on the '03+ NBS GM fullsize trucks/SUVs; on these trucks w/ nav, you can buy an adapter that connects to the nav so that you can feed a video signal (e.g., DVD) that will display on the nav screen.

You didn't mention which vehicle you were talking about but I assume it's a Yukon or similar since you're posting in the Yukon forum...hence my reply.

cmastriano
05-19-2005, 10:39 PM
What you describe can't be done on the nav radios found on the '03+ NBS GM fullsize trucks/SUVs; on these trucks w/ nav, you can buy an adapter that connects to the nav so that you can feed a video signal (e.g., DVD) that will display on the nav screen.

You didn't mention which vehicle you were talking about but I assume it's a Yukon or similar since you're posting in the Yukon forum...hence my reply.

It is a 05 yukon denali and I appreciate the info although my radio does play dvd's and there is a way to do this but boy I cant figure it out. Worst case I will install a dvd player and use the radio as the screen. Thanks for any info you have.

tonytone
05-20-2005, 03:01 PM
It is a 05 yukon denali and I appreciate the info although my radio does play dvd's and there is a way to do this but boy I cant figure it out. Worst case I will install a dvd player and use the radio as the screen. Thanks for any info you have.
Really? You mean you can stick a DVD movie disc into the same slot that is used for the nav disc and the factory nav unit in your '05 Denali will display the DVD movie on-screen? Forgive me for sounding skeptical, but if the factory nav unit in your '05 Denali can load and play a DVD movie disc...well, your nav unit must definitely be different from the thousands of other factory nav units currently found in '05 Denalis (and retrofitted after the fact in '03-'04 Avalanches, Tahoes, Suburbans, Yukons, Escalades, Yukon Denalis, Hummer H2s). I mean, if what you say is true...believe me, it would have been all over the other GM truck/SUV sites already...and some of these folks have done a lot of homework on what can and can't be done with the factory TNR nav unit.

I think you you have it confused with the nav radios found on certain Cadillac vehicles (XLR, SRX)--these vehicles have a different nav unit that is capable of loading and playing a DVD movie disc. That, or like I said earlier, your nav unit is definitely not the same one as that offered in all of the other '05 Denalis--again, if it's a factory nav that could play DVD movie discs, you wouldn't be the only one talking about it--that's for sure.

In any case, even if what you said is true...how would you use the nav functions? I mean, you'd have to take out the nav disc in order to load the DVD disc, no? Not unless you're also gonna claim that the nav function (e.g., map view, address search, etc.) will still work even w/o the nav disc loaded... :wink:

YukonGMC
05-20-2005, 05:00 PM
I don't much about these as I have an '01 model. I think he said it will only play a DVD while trans is in PARK. He wants to disable this feature and be able to view DVD while in motion.

tonytone
05-21-2005, 07:58 AM
Still can't be done on the TNR radio found on the Denali/Escalade...not unless someone has found a way to reverse-engineer the TNR firmware in order to do so. Like I said in my previous post, the ability to play DVD movie discs (in PARK) is on the GM factory nav radios found on certain Cadillacs but not on the nav radios in GM fullsize SUVs/trucks, since they use a different nav model.

twhiting2000
08-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Still can't be done on the TNR radio found on the Denali/Escalade...not unless someone has found a way to reverse-engineer the TNR firmware in order to do so. Like I said in my previous post, the ability to play DVD movie discs (in PARK) is on the GM factory nav radios found on certain Cadillacs but not on the nav radios in GM fullsize SUVs/trucks, since they use a different nav model.

The description on GMBuyPower for '05 Yukon Denali TNR states that it can play DVD movies while in park. It doesn't. I would like it to work while in PARK, not while moving. Can it be upgraded?

tonytone
08-04-2005, 02:55 PM
The description on GMBuyPower for '05 Yukon Denali TNR states that it can play DVD movies while in park. It doesn't. I would like it to work while in PARK, not while moving. Can it be upgraded?
Unless GM has released a newer version (or perhaps upgraded the firmware) of the TNR since its release back at the beginning of the '05 model year...I reckon it's not possible.

I saw the description you quoted, and I've yet to hear or see of even one GM TNR that can "play" (as opposed to "display", with the addition of an aftermarket video input adapter) DVD movie discs straight from the factory.

Add your comment to this topic!