TOO MUCH BOOST!!! supercharger problems

shatter65
05-16-2005, 11:29 PM
i have a 97 gtp. my boost gauge on my car usually reads 7 lbs of boost when i am flooring it, but recently it has been reading 12 lbs of boost when it is about to shift to the next gear (only in high rpms). Because of this there is VERY loud knocking occuring. i believe it is getting too much air and not enough fuel and that is what is causing the knocking. i guess my question is, is how do i control how much air the supercharger is getting. is a valve stuck open or what?? i need to get the car back down to 7 lbs like it should be

Ripn12s
05-17-2005, 01:48 AM
How fast the rotors are spinning is what dictates how much boost you'll see. There is a boost bypass vavle that you can adjust to make the boost come on sooner/later.

If your hearing audible knocking I wouldnt run the car w/ the supercharger belt on till you figure out what is going on. Take the belt off and check how freely the pulley turns. Check all your vaccum lines. I take it this is the stock pulley right?? What kind of boost gauge, autometer??

shatter65
05-17-2005, 05:18 PM
yea it is the stock pulley and the boost gauge i put straight off the s/c vacuum line. also my neighbor said not to run my car w/o my supercharger because it will make it run rich and i will end up melting stuff
i took off the belt already and the pulley turns just as well as all the others. on the bypass how would i adjust the boost??

Ripn12s
05-17-2005, 07:15 PM
I wouldnt listen to your neighbor anymore

First off.

If you are running rich the motor will be cooler.

Second

The supercharger is a major heat source so running w/out it your motor will be cooler.

There is a vacuum line that runs to the fuel regulator. When the boost starts building the feul regulator senses this and add's more fuel.

Take the belt off and see if you can recreate this Knocking noise that you had before.

kustomkid54
05-17-2005, 09:46 PM
I wouldnt listen to your neighbor anymore

First off.

If you are running rich the motor will be cooler.

Second

The supercharger is a major heat source so running w/out it your motor will be cooler.

There is a vacuum line that runs to the fuel regulator. When the boost starts building the feul regulator senses this and add's more fuel.

Take the belt off and see if you can recreate this Knocking noise that you had before.

Tim,
Don't forget to tell him not to "get on it" without the belt. :2cents:

Ripn12s
05-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Why?

you'll be fine "getting on it" without the belt

kustomkid54
05-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Why?

you'll be fine "getting on it" without the belt

You'll just have no power. I had to drive mine for the week I had waiting on the new nose drive.
Sorry, after rereading my reply, it sounds like it would blow up or something. Didn't mean that. :screwy:

shatter65
05-18-2005, 12:21 AM
how would i recreate the knocking noise without the s/c hooked up?? i dont see what you are saying...you want me to spin it by hand at 4000 rpms?? idk what to do..this problem makes no sense to me. my check engine light isnt even comming on. im probably going to end up putting it in the shop. too bad i have no $$...gtp's suck mine has been nothing but trouble for me and i have had it for a year total cost of repairs to date = $4600 and that is just for parts anyone else have an idea of what i can do to fix this?? i REALLY dont want to put this in the shop because i cant afford it!

notladstyle@yahoo.
05-18-2005, 03:14 AM
how would i recreate the knocking noise without the s/c hooked up?? i dont see what you are saying...you want me to spin it by hand at 4000 rpms?? idk what to do..this problem makes no sense to me. my check engine light isnt even comming on. im probably going to end up putting it in the shop. too bad i have no $$...gtp's suck mine has been nothing but trouble for me and i have had it for a year total cost of repairs to date = $4600 and that is just for parts anyone else have an idea of what i can do to fix this?? i REALLY dont want to put this in the shop because i cant afford it!

if your shift steps at 4500 you are probably hammering your gtp. and he means take the belt off and DRIVE the car in the same manner you usually do to determine whether the SC is actually causing the prob.

shatter65
05-18-2005, 10:57 PM
i have driven my car without the s/c belt and the noise does not occur so the s/c is causing the problem. i figured that one out already...i was just asking if anyone knew what might be wrong with the supercharger and how to fix it...i am pushing 12-15 lbs of boost on a stock pulley

KX2000GTP
05-19-2005, 04:23 PM
have you checked the SC coupler? It could be worn a little and causing the knocking sound.

Add your comment to this topic!