Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Newbie here

Dr. Bob
05-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Hi there,

Bob Hagendijk from the Netherlands reporting, 22 years old, still a student, and sometimes I like to build models (depends on the mood, sometimes I build for months, then I let it for ages). I thought I was pretty crafty with modelling, but after I searched this board I was thinking it wasn't as good as I thought... I only build cars the way they wre meant from the box, however I just started my first kit that I want to modify. I suck at spraying the car, so I have 5 kits almost done, but not completely. I sometimes think I have to make a diorama of a body restorer so it doesn't matter if the paint sucks :P. However, I found some great tips here, I hope they will help me. I want to spray my Tamiya Enzo any day soon now, I know some of you already built it, but I will post some pics of the engine and interiour later for you guys to criticise me.

freakmech
05-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Welcome! paint takes lots of practice but youll get it down soon enough. just keep building. hope to see pictures of your Enzo soon!

blueboost
05-16-2005, 05:21 PM
welcome. Don't worry about being perfect. Build for yourself, and enjoy the build. The rest will eventually come with time. :D

tonioseven
05-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Howdy!:)

blubaja
05-17-2005, 12:23 AM
Hey Bob,

Welcome to AF!!

Frank X.

SchuberT
05-17-2005, 01:09 AM
'lo Bob, you have pie?

If you don't, I forgive you. Welcome to AF, can't wait to see some work from you. :)

mike united
05-17-2005, 02:11 AM
Wecome.............:smile:

Veyron
05-17-2005, 07:57 AM
Hi Dr. Bob, and welcome to AF!

I'm the one who pointed you in this direction(Dino Scuderia).

Enjoy your stay!

RunFlat
05-17-2005, 07:24 PM
Welcome Dr. B.

Veyron sent me here too. This is a great forum and you'll learn something new everyday. One other thing, if you can find a local hobby club your learning curve will jump to light speed!

Dr. Bob
05-19-2005, 04:40 PM
I don't have time for a club, I want to do it at times I want to build, and sometimes I don't do that for months. I have a few other hobbies that sometimes go before building kits. Every time I look here I see I'm only a beginner. Will take some pics tomorrow or saturday, don't have much time to get the kits out of the box and take pics and hook the camera up to the computer.
and hi Veyron, thanks for pointing me in this direction :)

Amazon
05-19-2005, 04:56 PM
Hello there. Be ready to drown in a pool of liquid glue and unhardened putty here! And don´t say that you´re a bad painter. There isalways someone who´s even worse :grinyes:

primera man
05-20-2005, 03:02 AM
Welcome along

Dr. Bob
05-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Well finally some pics here. First one is of my unfinished 360 Spider. Since I screwed up the body, I still have to think for away to use it, maybe as a parts car for in a garageshop. Second is my current project, a Honda NSX-R from Fujimi. Next time it will be a Tamiya again, because the kit is not very high quality IMO. As you can see I built in a spoiler and a rollbar, I was pretty proud of itfor the first time, but after seeing some stuff you guys pull of I think it sucks, but I will get there someday :D
Already thanks a lot for all guys writing the how to sections, I got a lot of ideas, and although I will screw up most of them, some should be nice.
I have a lot of problems with dust in my room, as soon as I spray somebig bigger than a wheel it will catch some dust, even when I put a box over it as soon as I finish a layer. I do not have money, or space for a special spraybox, since I am only a student with a small room. Any suggestions here?

pics:
http://www.drbob.sohosted.com/IMG_4566.jpg
http://www.drbob.sohosted.com/IMG_4437.jpg

FocusOnCivic
05-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Bad painter? I see not.

Keep us updated!

Dr. Bob
05-21-2005, 01:10 PM
the exteriour is more of a problem. But, when brush painting larger objects like dashboards or interiour, aspecially with matt black, I always get brushmarks, I know it is better to spraypaint, but is there any way to lessen those marks? I couldn't find anything on brushmarks in the FAQ

Amazon
05-21-2005, 04:32 PM
A tip for your dust-in-paint; I spray under the fan in the kitchen. Or you could go out and buy a A3-size paper and spray with the paper under,so the dust doesn´t whirls up!

Add your comment to this topic!