CIA and Exhaust help

Whumbachumba
05-16-2005, 11:24 AM
I wnat to know before I go out and buy anything, the pros and cons of getting a CAI or a new exhaust. The only thing bad that I've heard is that the CAI can lower gas mileage due to the sensors seeing more air and increasing gas input, but I don't know if it's true or not. So, pros and cons for CAI and exhaust would be helpful, and suggested companies for Accord EX v6 parts.

-Jayson-
05-16-2005, 12:42 PM
I wnat to know before I go out and buy anything, the pros and cons of getting a CAI or a new exhaust. The only thing bad that I've heard is that the CAI can lower gas mileage due to the sensors seeing more air and increasing gas input, but I don't know if it's true or not. So, pros and cons for CAI and exhaust would be helpful, and suggested companies for Accord EX v6 parts.

dont expect the car to just scream power afterwards. And no your gas milage wont decrease because of the CAI. It will prolly decrease cause you push the peddle harder trying to feel more power and justify spending 200 bucks on a metal tube and cotton filter. With both those mods, and that is if you do a full exhaust, header on back. Expect 10-15HP.

TatII
05-16-2005, 12:52 PM
bolt ons will give you better mileage when your not beating the shit out of the car. this is because the efficincy of the engine improved, it no longer has to struggle to breath. however if you beating on the car, since its making more power you will burn more fuel.

Igovert500
05-16-2005, 03:44 PM
Pros...your car is louder
Cons...your car is louder

They are good beginner basic bolt on mods, but as Jayson said, don't expect to be keeping up with Corvettes simply because you added an intake and exhaust.
You can ask for what brands are most popular in the Accord section...and chances are they will name companies that charge $200+ for an intake and $500+ for a catback exhaust. My suggestion would be to buy a $30 intake on ebay, and buy a muffler online that you like...take the muffler to your local exhaust shop and ask them to build you a custom exhaust (probably 2.5" mandrel bent)

You can get all that put together and on for under $300 and you'll get the same results as spending $700+ for name brands...but that decision is up to you.

Whumbachumba
05-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Oh come on, I was hopeing by buying a CAI and an exhaust I would be taking skylines and tt supras easily and barely keeping up with the McLaren.

Thanks for the replys. I'll look into them since someone who I won't mention decided not to get a exhaust for my birthday. Also, what about a dual exhaust, can the shop make the pipe fit that or not?

Igovert500
05-16-2005, 05:36 PM
There are 2 kinds of dual exhaust...

1) true dual exhaust where half the cylinders have their own exhaust all the way back

2) fake dual exhaust (what most cars that come with 2 mufflers stock actually have) This is where the headers join into one cat, and then split somewhere after the catylitic converter and come out both sides of the back bumper. This is the type the muffler shop can probably build for you with just a little custom work...they will have to fabricate a few mounting hangers...but they could probably do it all on the spot.

The true dual exhaust will cost more and require different headers and stuff that you would probably have to purchase via aftermarket suppliers. No offense, but the true dual exhaust gains probably wouldn't be worth the price or extra weight. The fake dual exhaust would be pointless unless you want it for looks...but you would just be adding unnecessary weight.

Whumbachumba
05-16-2005, 10:25 PM
Well the car is already fake dual exhaust, so I was thinking that I might aswell go with it since it looks pretty good.

Add your comment to this topic!