Cargo ACC Outlet

suvguy
05-15-2005, 02:10 PM
Has anyone converted the rear cargo area ACC outlet from switched to constant on? I would like to plug in a thermoelectric cooler for trips/vacations back there and would like it to stay on when the key is off. I am aware of the battery rundown issue, which is why I will put a low battery shutdown on the cooler unit.

Thanks

suvguy
'00 Rodeo LS 4x2 3.2L auto

Cat Fuzz
05-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Seems like an easy enough thing to do. Just find where the power is sourced and change the source to an always on source.

rodeo02
05-15-2005, 06:07 PM
W/out a schematic to work from, the closest/easiest power source back there would be the switched cargo area light. IIRC- that light can be kept on w/out the key. I wouldn't pull too much current from it, but running a cooler should be fine. There is a fairly big wire bundle burried behind where that cig lighter socket is, so I'm sure some possibilities exist.
G/luck
Joel

suvguy
05-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Gee, seems like it doesn't it. Guess I should have added that if you have done the switch to constant power, where did you find the switched power source for the ACC outlet circuit and were did you tap into constant power before the fuse box?

suvguy

Seems like an easy enough thing to do. Just find where the power is sourced and change the source to an always on source.

suvguy
05-18-2005, 12:38 PM
Yeah, that would be one possibility, but the ACC socket is rated for 120W. At that distance from the battery, I would want a conductor capable of at least 15A to supply the ACC socket with constant power. I was hoping someone would have done this before. I would like to locate the source of the power before the fuse box and switch it there. The wiring diagrams are not that detailed so that is why I asked the forum.

suvguy

W/out a schematic to work from, the closest/easiest power source back there would be the switched cargo area light. IIRC- that light can be kept on w/out the key. I wouldn't pull too much current from it, but running a cooler should be fine. There is a fairly big wire bundle burried behind where that cig lighter socket is, so I'm sure some possibilities exist.
G/luck
Joel

iskiuskiweski
05-18-2005, 04:48 PM
If you really need it put in a new one. One switched and one not. This way you know that the source and wiring can handle the load that you wish to run.

Add your comment to this topic!