Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Resetting Oil change reminder

Faze3
05-14-2005, 10:30 PM
So I changed the oil early. I wasn't due for another couple of hundred miles. I decided that since I was changing the oil on my wife's Camry, I'd do the truck too.

I went to reset the oil change reminder per the manual, only now it comes on instead of being reset.

I don't remember - am I supposed to wait until the battery light goes off before pressing the pedal? I tried both.

sportin83
05-14-2005, 10:52 PM
i am pretty sure that you just turn on the key and then put the pedal to the floor 3 times and then turn the key off and then start it and it should turn it off

BlenderWizard
05-14-2005, 11:05 PM
That's what I just did

Faze3
05-15-2005, 06:15 AM
Well damnit, that's what I'm doing and all it did was turn the message on. I tried doing it immediately and also waiting until I saw that the battery light had gone off. Its not like its the first time I've done it. But its the first time I've done it *early*

Shiat..

Guess I'll give it another whack when the family's awake and when its a little later than 0515.

This leads to another question:

5W30 or 10W30?

I've been putting 10W30 in despite the fact that the filler cap says 5W30. I don't really know the technical differences between the oils (except not to put 20W50 in any engine unless its damned old).

jethro_3
05-15-2005, 07:04 AM
Even if you do the reset the computer may take a few on off cycles including going down the road to acknowledge it. I got mine done and after a day I went to the dealer and the second I pulled into the service area it quit lighting up.

When you are board and have a LOT of time here is everything you need to know and a lot more than you wanted to know.
http://www.trustmymechanic.com/motor-oil-bible.pdf

Enjoy

jeep_cj4x4
05-15-2005, 09:04 AM
turn the key to the on (not start) position twice then leave it (on, off, on). Then put the gas pedal to the floor 3 times. I'm pretty sure you can do this at a normal pace, but I do know you need to do it before the batt light goes out. After the gas pedal thing, just sit and wait for the 'change oil' light to flash a few times then it will go back to the batt light. Thats when you know it worked. Good luck.

remember..... on, off, on, gas, gas, gas....wait for the light. It should flash with in ~10-15 secnds.

Faze3
05-15-2005, 10:12 AM
Ah. TWICE. I could swear my manual didn't say that. I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

BlenderWizard
05-15-2005, 11:26 AM
My manual just says turn it "ON" and hit the gas 3 times and the oil light will flash a few times. And that worked. I have an '02

Faze3
05-15-2005, 11:36 AM
Yeah, mine says that too. Unfortunately, when I turn the motor over, the light comes on now. I'll try jeep_cj4x4's suggestion and see.

Thanks.

Faze3
05-15-2005, 12:23 PM
That got it. TWO turns to Run.

I'll have to make a note on that page in my manual.

Thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!