A/C intermittently not kicking in

surferfletch
05-14-2005, 04:19 PM
I'm bad with A/C. Please help.

'97 Rodeo 3.2L

Air worked great until 2 summers ago. Got a little less cool, but a refrigerant top off restored it to good and cold. No troubles noticed until this week. When I was trying to find out which belt was squeeking, I was under the hood with the engine running and the A/C on. I noticed the compressor was kicking on and off too frequently. Didn't think much of it since it was still cold and, well, I'm bad with A/C.

Today the A/C didn't kick in at all when turned on for one trip during the day. Just blew warm air. After the daughter's softball game, it was running again.

Any ideas as to what is happening?

Thanks!!

rodeo02
05-15-2005, 03:29 AM
I dunno much about vehicle a/c, but low compressor suction press or hi disch press will cause the comp to cycle quicly or not cycle at all. Could be low system charge, a faulty press switch or a non-functioning condensor fan?!?
G/luck
Joel

surferfletch
05-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll check the refrigerant level. I just know if I take it to an A/C place that their estimate will include a new compressor, even if it really isn't needed. Been there, done that!

marcre
05-15-2005, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll check the refrigerant level. I just know if I take it to an A/C place that their estimate will include a new compressor, even if it really isn't needed. Been there, done that!

I went to use my AC the other day after helping a friend move, it blew nothing but hot air. I am going to take it in soon, just to see what the price is to fix it. Whenever I take my car in I say "if it's not to expensive I'll get it fixed." Hopefully this is going to be affordable because I like AC. My HVAC system has been noisy lately. I'll post what they find when I get it done. I am begining to get sick of repairs for this vehicle. I mean it does have 74k on the clock, but still. I keep a Microsoft Excel worksheet of repairs and in the last year I put 2k into this vehicle. That is a lot. Soon it will be tires and next year, rear brakes and who knows what. I love my Rodeo, but the repairs are killing my social life.

Marc

surferfletch
05-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Beats a new car payment!!

marcre
05-15-2005, 09:35 PM
Beats a new car payment!!

Yeah, but I am paying $235 a month for another year and a half. Don't get me wrong though, I love this truck. it just seems like things are breaking that shouldn't be. In fairness, some of the money I have speant is maintenance. I sure love this truck in the winter when the snow is deap. I actually wake up in the mornings with child like dreams of a huge snowfall.

Add your comment to this topic!