Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

weird idle/sounds and stuff

rez300z
05-13-2005, 11:33 PM
i turn the ignition to bring the powerful z32 to life.(manualtranny) Shoots to 2000 rpm then slowly drops to 1100/1050-ish rpm, right above 1000rpm....sits there for 2 minutes before going to 1000rpm.(does this every time car starts) If i start driving before the rpm needle hit 1000 or below i have to slowly get up to speed or else ill hear this weird clanking noise. When turning on the car and letting rpms drop to 1000rpm or below i can then drive as hard as i want to with no clanking noise. When i first started learning stickshift i remember hearing this sound when im goin ,for example, 20mph in 4th gear(1500rpm?maybe?)then i try to get up to speed and the sound is sad to hear cause i know its not a "healthy" sound, but anyway, does anyone know what this sound could be?

k3smostwanted
05-14-2005, 01:02 AM
i turn the ignition to bring the powerful z32 to life.(manualtranny) Shoots to 2000 rpm then slowly drops to 1100/1050-ish rpm, right above 1000rpm....sits there for 2 minutes before going to 1000rpm.(does this every time car starts) If i start driving before the rpm needle hit 1000 or below i have to slowly get up to speed or else ill hear this weird clanking noise. When turning on the car and letting rpms drop to 1000rpm or below i can then drive as hard as i want to with no clanking noise. When i first started learning stickshift i remember hearing this sound when im goin ,for example, 20mph in 4th gear(1500rpm?maybe?)then i try to get up to speed and the sound is sad to hear cause i know its not a "healthy" sound, but anyway, does anyone know what this sound could be?

first of all, you should not have your car in 4th gear going 20MPH. the engine was probably shaking so badly it was hitting something in the engine bay.

as for the RPMs shooting way up, if the engine is cold. thats what it is supposed to do. if the engine is warm it should shoot up and then fall down immediately. your idle should also be at about 700RPMs at normal operating temp not 1000. so you may have a sensor malfunctiobn causing that...TPS sensor, AAC valve maybe, MAF, etc....

as for the clanking when you drive only before the car drops down to 1000RPMs...its trying to tell you it doesnt like it so stop. :lol: but seriously, i dont really have a clue on that one...i got a few ideas that it could be but nothing makes total sense to me off the top of my head. i dont understand why it would do this only when the car hasnt fallen to what it thinks is normal operating temp. it sould be related to the high idle problem...

rez300z
05-14-2005, 03:15 PM
nothign shook in 4th gear goin 20, it just made that noise (btw this was when i first started to learn how to drivE stick) and i know that the rpms shoot up on start up. i forgot to mention that after driving 2min the idle will fall to the norm 700... haha ya i try to avoid makin that sound by waitin for rpms to drop. o well. hopefully this does not slowly lead to the destruction of my car=( , thanks for your imput anyway.

92rs25th
05-14-2005, 04:06 PM
Learn how to drive...-cough , cough.- Just kidding =D

k3smostwanted
05-14-2005, 05:07 PM
nothign shook in 4th gear goin 20, it just made that noise (btw this was when i first started to learn how to drivE stick) and i know that the rpms shoot up on start up. i forgot to mention that after driving 2min the idle will fall to the norm 700... haha ya i try to avoid makin that sound by waitin for rpms to drop. o well. hopefully this does not slowly lead to the destruction of my car=( , thanks for your imput anyway.

well 9 times out of 10 that sound you heard when you were doing 20mph in 4th gear was the engine shaking violently trying to not stall.

if it falls back down to normal RPMs i dont knwo what the problem could be besides the fact that your car takes a while for the RPMs to fall back down. does it do this when you start it up even after its fully warmed???

like if you shut off the car and then turned it right back on...does it still take it a few minutes to go back down or is alot shorter of a time???

rez300z
05-16-2005, 09:17 PM
yes it does this after it has been fully warmed and EACH TIME i start it it takes approximately 2-3minutes before its safe to start driving without having that horrible noise and unusual idle.

k3smostwanted
05-16-2005, 11:27 PM
yes it does this after it has been fully warmed and EACH TIME i start it it takes approximately 2-3minutes before its safe to start driving without having that horrible noise and unusual idle.

hmm...maybe its a sensor problem. i cant figure out why it is consistently taking 2-3 minutes. usually a sensor issue will scatter symptoms. it sounds like it may be a temperature sensor beings it is not reading that the car is warmed up when you start it after it is warm...

but that doesnt explain the wierd noises exactly...

the only way i can figure is that clanking noise is exactly how you described it...an engine shaking noise trying to not die like when your in 4th gear doing 20mph. your engine is violently vibrating causing it to hit the back of your bay or something else.

well this could be the same idea...if you have a failed Coolant Temp Sensor it will send the wrong air/fuel mixture to the engine causing it to want to die and sputter. the reason why it goes away after 2-3 minutes is that it could be that this sensor goes into a closed loop designation after the ECU knows the car is warm (after 2-3 minutes) causing the ECU to rely solely on other sensors for its air/fuel mixture. therefore your car runs normal after the 2-3 minutes or after the ECT goes into closed loop mode...

like i said, this is just an idea, as i am just scrambling through my brain to find soemthing that makes sense. it could be a number of other sensors too but this one could possibly fill in both blanks (the clanking sound and the cold start idle even when the car isnt cold).

if Hodo gets on here, he is pretty good a diagnosing problems like these, as he has the experience and he deals with this kind of stuff on a daily basis.

Add your comment to this topic!