Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Chevy Lumina Tranny

tblake
05-13-2005, 10:43 PM
hi all. No, my tranny is still as strong as ever, I just have a question about it. When in overdrive, and cruzing at speeds of about 25 to 30 mph, and I floor it, it seems almost as if its double downshifting. I gave my friend a ride one day, and asked about this. He knows more about cars than I do. I was in overdive, floored it, and it did its "double downshift", and he said that it was just kicking out of overdrive, and then just downshifting. So, I clicked it into Drive, and did it again. She did the same. My question is, is this truly a double downshift, or am I just losing my mind? thanks.

jeffcoslacker
05-14-2005, 07:09 AM
Count the upshifts as it accelerates. At 25 or 30, it would probably go all the way to first. At that speed, OD probably hasn't kicked in yet.

Mine, if I hit it hard, would go for second, then first if I was really on it. That's when it would nuetral out on me if I was taking a high-G turn, like I described last week.

I'd say yes, you are double downshifting.

Try pressing just hard enough to get a single, then stretch the cable to get one more, that'd answer your question.

Am I making any sense? (it's early)

tblake
05-14-2005, 03:30 PM
perfect sense. Thank you.

Add your comment to this topic!