Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

newbie here with some s10 questions

cutter875
05-13-2005, 07:54 PM
ya, im a newbie to the whole american scene, i have been working on hondas for a little while so i know a decent amount about cars...but i found an s10, something in the 80s with a 350 small block and turbo 350 tranny and dual straight exhaust for 2800$...is that a good deal? the truck is in okay shape, not much rust and only minor things that need fixing(most of it is gonna get gutted anyways)

and what will let up some ponies for relatively inexpensive...maybe like 500-1000$...im only 17 and am makin barely 1000 a month so its definantly a budget build that i want to do everything myself and learn it all...any suggestions comments and anything would help me so much thanks

jackass#1
05-13-2005, 08:13 PM
2800 is kinda steep for an 80s s10. check it over really good a 350 doesnt come stock in an s10. get as much info as you can on the engine swap.

cutter875
05-13-2005, 08:15 PM
ya i know the engine was swapped, it runs real good...i test drove it...maybe a fouled plug or something, a little valve tap i think, but its also got giant tires on the back, like 12 inches wide and maybe 24-36 inches high, and it comes with a second set of regular rims too, and the guy who im buying it from is going to give me a discount on sandblasting the body and he will let me take whatever scrap s10 parts hes got for it

jackass#1
05-13-2005, 08:26 PM
well thats a better deal than i thought. what do you plan on doing to it? with a 350 your options are about endless. fuel injected or carb?
a couple of ideas to you would be k&n coolair intake and a flowmaster exhaust.

cutter875
05-13-2005, 08:51 PM
ya its not that bad of a deal because also im helping this guy out doing bitch work for him, but hes a champion tracker puller and does all his work him self and hes teaching me some stuff...ever heard of the sandman? well anyways...its carb, i want some good horse power...doesnt have to be drag racing but id like a good umph that will smoke most these rice burners. i was thinkin a new intake...maybe air gap single plane? roller rockers? new carb maybe...dunno thats why i need some ideas. i wanna lower it bout 3 inch, shave the door handles and rear gate and hot rod stuff pretty much just to practice...and if i can find a 9" ford rear differential i might do that...pretty much just looking for ideas right now, any suggestions?

OverBoardProject
05-13-2005, 11:04 PM
IWelcome to the forum.

It sounds like your in good hands. He'll probably show you how to build BIG, and reliable power.

A bodyman friend of mine just finished a first generation S-10 and he was offered $10,000 canadian (and turned it down in front of another friend of mine). So that would mean that if you do the job right your truck will be worth something.

cutter875
05-14-2005, 11:26 AM
ya, he should be good help but hes more into fuel injection over carbs, so thats pretty much why i need more ideas from u guys...whats a good amount of horsepower to shoot for? 300? 400? even that?

OverBoardProject
05-14-2005, 02:32 PM
350hp is a pretty good, and reasonable goal to aim for.

That should be possible with a good cam, headers, intake manifold and a holley carb.
A stock bottom end (with updated bolts like ARP) should be able to handle that much power.

Try researching the intake manifolds, and headers through edelbrock http://www.edelbrock.com/
Weiand manifolds (web address unknown)
And Holley http://www.holley.com/
Plus comp cams http://www.compcams.com/

dmbrisket 51
05-15-2005, 11:19 PM
first and formost welcmoe abord, glad to have ya, im doin a swap, slowly but surly getting there, im shooting for 300 horses at the wheels and with the at thats about 330 at flywheel, my cousin only had 290 horses, but damn it throws your ass back... good find if the body doest have holes in it, sand it and re paint her, best of luck to ya, hope to see ya around again

Add your comment to this topic!