Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clutch pedal feeling VERY loose

1Bad89GT
05-13-2005, 01:23 PM
My friend has a 95' scort and he and a neighbor replaced the clutch a week ago. But after doing this the clutch pedal feels exactly the same as it did before the job and is not stiff and has tons of play in it. I know when i got the clutch replaced in my ranger and stang i got the cars back with stiff pedals. Any suggestions??? thanks

mustang302
05-13-2005, 09:51 PM
The clutch is hydraulically actuated in that car, the wimpy feel you describe could possibly be air in the system, or maybe even a bad master or slave cylinder. I would suggest he bleed the clutch slave cylinder first and see how the pedal feels afterwards. If it is still no good, he can try to rebuild or replace the slave cylinder, especially if leaks can be seen from it. The master cylinder could also be bypassing, look for fluid from it leaking in by where the pedal pushes it.

I ended up replacing the master cylinder and getting a great pedal, but the whooped slave cylinder couldn't handle the better pressure and spewed on me too. I would definitely try bleeding it first though.

Good luck

Add your comment to this topic!