FYI - Akebono ceramic brakes

Ramblin Fever
05-13-2005, 09:54 AM
are MUCH improved over stock!

I always thought the original brakes stopped good, but these one's are excellent! I have the Pro-ACT ceramic (heavy duty) on front and rear, and this thing will put you through the windshield.

Just FYI incase anyone's close to needing a new set of flintstone stoppers.

SOLSTER
05-13-2005, 02:09 PM
I have the Pro-ACT ceramic (heavy duty) on front and rear, and this thing will put you through the windshield.

That's a "good" thing? hehehe, just joking!

How much were they, and if anyone can say, how much are the OEM ones for comparison. Thanks! SOLSTER

iskiuskiweski
05-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Oem $46.00

SOLSTER
05-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Oem $46.00

$46 per wheel, or for a set to cover all 4? Sorry for my lack of knowledge!

marcre
05-13-2005, 05:52 PM
$46 per wheel, or for a set to cover all 4? Sorry for my lack of knowledge!

$46 for the front and $46(I think) for the back. I recently bought the OEM pads from St. Charles for my front wheels, next year it will be the rear.

Marc

rodeo02
05-13-2005, 09:53 PM
Yep. It was $102 for pads all the way around for my 2002 from St. Charles. I'm sure there are plenty of great aftermarket pads out there, but the OEM's come with all the shims, clips and even the grease!
G/luck
Joel

Ramblin Fever
05-14-2005, 02:01 AM
Akebono's come with all shims, grease, and clips as well. They were not "cheap", I think $65 for front set, $50 for rear set.

However OEM "replacements" here at Tynan's Isuzu in Denver wanted $67 for front and $56 for rear, and I found out they were semi-metallic and not the original OEM brakes that came on my Rodeo at production.

I am not against getting OEM replacements, I was just not happy to find out they were not the "same" type of brake as my actual OEM set - at least not at this Isuzu in Denver. And I thought they were kind of $$$.

The Akebono's were not cheap either, but they did come with clips, grease, and shims, and they are thicker then the OEM pads.

Also, FWIW, these brakes do not squeal, at all :grinyes: No brake dust experienced in 1K miles anyway, and no pulling in any which direction. And they are being used on the same stock rotors that have never been turned - never needed to - (knocking on wood).

Bonzmobile
05-14-2005, 10:55 AM
Ramblin',
Where did you purchase these Pro-ACT pads? I was wondering if any chain stores carry these or if they are mail order only. My rear brakes just let me know they need my immediate attention. Thinking I might give these a shot.

rodeo02
05-15-2005, 02:56 AM
Akebono's come with all shims, grease, and clips as well....

Cool! good to know of a viable alternative to OEM. Those caliper slide clips take a beating and pretty much need to be replaced at every pad changeout.
G/luck
Joel

ibew595
05-16-2005, 01:23 AM
At the rate the stock pads wear, I may hit 200k before it gets its first brake job.

Bonzmobile
05-20-2005, 02:43 PM
Ramblin'
Where did you get these? The only places I could find online show the pads with shims, but no clips. The prices you quoted are great too.
Thanks.

Ramblin Fever
05-21-2005, 12:47 AM
Ramblin'
Where did you get these? The only places I could find online show the pads with shims, but no clips. The prices you quoted are great too.
Thanks.

I apologize for not getting back sooner, been doing a lot of work around the house.

Want to apologize, after speaking to my mechanic/friend, he informed me that these brakes, the Akebono Pro-ACT ceramics front and rear, came with shims and grease, but not the clips. At the time I purchased them, I didn't have the time to install them and had him do it, I glanced into the boxes before taking the truck to him and just assumed the clips came with - but they don't.

For that I apologize, as it appears I've mislead some.

I purchased the brakes from "Thepartsbin.com"

part #'s

ACT580 (N1010-125354) and ACT579 (N1010-125353)

If you're looking for brakes with clips, the OEM's from dealership do come with them - the brakes, clips, shims and grease, as Rodeo02 (I believe) qouted earlier. If you're not doing a lot of towing or mountain driving, the OEM's will provide good life. Even if you are, they are still good brakes.

I just personally feel that mine stops MUCH better and faster with the Akebono's.

tygger
06-10-2005, 08:16 AM
Are the parts from St. Charles Auto the exact same parts that you find at the Isuzu dealer?

Canucklehead
06-10-2005, 08:25 AM
Are the parts from St. Charles Auto the exact same parts that you find at the Isuzu dealer?

:grinyes: St. Charles Auto IS an Isuzu dealer.

Add your comment to this topic!