Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Thinning model paints with lacquer thinners...

ToMiNAToR333
05-13-2005, 06:38 AM
has anyone here done this?
ive been contemplating giving it a go, but i think itts kinds risky...tho i know the risks involved, but it sounds very interesting....
i have a few questions, i was hoping someone could answer
does it make the paint dry faster? could u give me a rough estimate?
does it work for both acryls and enamels?
will the paint be susceptible to acryl and enamel thinners(depending on which aint used??
will it make acryls dry harder?
has anyone used tamiya syntheic laquer to do this?
and lastly, what is ur general opion and feelings towards using lacquer thinners with model paints

thanks in advance!!!!

mike@af
05-13-2005, 06:44 AM
You can only thin lacquers with lacquer thinner. I wouldnt use it to thin any paint because the main use of lacquer thinner is for cleanup. Use the correct reducer/thinner for paint.

tonioseven
05-13-2005, 06:55 AM
I've used lacquer thinner to thin Testors enamel paints with success before but I wouldn't recommend anyone else to do it unless they used lacquer primer to prep the body. I got the technique from wkma7six (do a forum search). I hardly ever use acrylics for anything so I couldn't help out with those questions. *I stress that these are only my personal experiences and I can't be held responsible for any ruined models that could realistically result from the experiment.*

sjelic
05-13-2005, 07:28 AM
Acrylics will not work for sure, 100% sure
Enemals (Testors, Revell, Humrol) like Tonio said could work but testing is absolutly nececary.
I wouldn't even bother, I mean why? I know it is cheaper but.....

scaleracecars
05-13-2005, 07:36 AM
has anyone here done this?
ive been contemplating giving it a go, but i think itts kinds risky...tho i know the risks involved, but it sounds very interesting....
i have a few questions, i was hoping someone could answer
does it make the paint dry faster? could u give me a rough estimate?
does it work for both acryls and enamels?
will the paint be susceptible to acryl and enamel thinners(depending on which aint used??
will it make acryls dry harder?
has anyone used tamiya syntheic laquer to do this?
and lastly, what is ur general opion and feelings towards using lacquer thinners with model paints

thanks in advance!!!!

I use Gunze Mr Leveling thinner in acrylics and lacquers all the time with no problem. I don't use enamels so I am not sure all though others have told me it works fine. I would say the acrylics work better with Mr. Leveling thinner than they do with their "brand thinner"
http://tinyurl.com/7vrw7
Best Regards,
David
http://www.scaleracecars.com
http://www.hobbyexport.com

ZoomZoomMX-5
05-13-2005, 07:42 AM
I can only answer this question in regards to model enamels, such as Testors, and Tamiya acrylics. GTMike's answer is logical, considering his age/experience and "going by the book".

I've been airbrushing for 25 years and was clued into using lacquer thinner w/Testors by a guy named Henry Gonzalez who painted all the cars for Testors promotional material back in the 80's for their Model Master line and car colors...he painted a ton of Corvettes etc. and was thinning the paint w/lacquer thinner and buffing the bodies w/Bare Metal Foil polish (which turns out to be Novus #2 plastic polish).

So yes, you most certainly can use lacquer thinner to thin Testors enamel. I've been using the technique w/o any problems whatsoever. It helps the paint dry a bit faster, has no apparent effect on gloss level, and the main advantage is cost savings. A pint sized tin of Testors/Model Master airbrush thinner costs more than an entire gallon of lacquer thinner that you can buy at Wal Mart, Home Depot, etc. The brand I've been using as of late is Kleen Strip, and it's great for thinning enamels (as well as my Black Gold lacquers), and cleaning my airbrush after spraying lacquers, enamels, and Tamiya acrylics. I don't think Testors Acryl is compatible w/the lacquer thinner for thinning or cleaning, but you can use the lacquer thinner to thin and clean up Tamiya bottle acrylics. I have never had any problem w/the lacquer thinner attacking plastic when it's airbrushed w/enamel or Tamiya acrylic. On models painted w/enamels, I generally prime them in a solid enamel color that's similar to the final color (I used enamels to custom-mix pearls and metallics-if I shoot a solid color these days I use a Tamiya spray can). Again, I never had any problem using enamels thinned w/lacquer thinner and I was not using a lacquer primer over the plastic. However, I was always careful and watched the surface of the models carefully as I painted to make sure there were no problems like crazing or fisheyes, and to make sure the mixture was laying down smoothly.

Many times I'll paint an interior in a combination of acrylics and sometimes use a Tamiya spray color for accent. I'll clearcoat the whole deal w/Testors Dullcote, cut w/lacquer thinner-it dulls down gloss colors and gives the interior the correct "satin gloss" finish and I've never had the paint attack the paints below it.

As for drying faster-lacquer thinner helps, but a food dehydrator is the best tool for speed-drying paint and bodywork, and warming the bodies and paints before spraying. I can't say how long the paints take to dry w/o a dehydrator, but I used to spray enamels cut w/lacquer thinner and was able to wetsand them after 24 hours or so.

360spider
05-13-2005, 08:37 AM
Great info Bob. Thanks!

Porsnatic
05-13-2005, 09:50 AM
OK, David, let me ask you a question. Can I use Gunze Sangyo Mr. Color Thinner to dilute Gunze's acrylic line? I think I've heard so!....can it be use for tamiyas( acrylics and lacquers) too?

Do you know what percent of Mr. Retarder Mild it's included in Mr. Leveling thinner?... I''ve been experimenting adding 50% of the total paint/thinner mix, instead of the 10-20%, obtaining more shine and less bufing.

Let me know! :confused:

I use Gunze Mr Leveling thinner in acrylics and lacquers all the time with no problem. I don't use enamels so I am not sure all though others have told me it works fine. I would say the acrylics work better with than they do with their "brand thinner"
http://tinyurl.com/7vrw7
Best Regards,
David
http://www.scaleracecars.com
http://www.hobbyexport.com

RallyRaider
05-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Another sucessful user of laquer thinner with enamels here. Works a treat, I believe it makes them dry faster, but still a bit slower than proper laquer paints. Never tried acrylics because I never spray them.

ales
05-13-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm with Phil et all as far as enamels go, and I've also successfuly airbrushed Tamiya acrylics using laquer thinner.

Murray Kish
05-13-2005, 04:19 PM
I use lacquer thinner with Testors and Humbrol enamels all the time and so far no problems. Stinks like a bugger though - that's the downside...

Murray

scaleracecars
05-13-2005, 04:27 PM
OK, David, let me ask you a question. Can I use Gunze Sangyo Mr. Color Thinner to dilute Gunze's acrylic line? I think I've heard so!....can it be use for tamiyas( acrylics and lacquers) too?

Do you know what percent of Mr. Retarder Mild it's included in Mr. Leveling thinner?... I''ve been experimenting adding 50% of the total paint/thinner mix, instead of the 10-20%, obtaining more shine and less bufing.

Let me know! :confused:

I have been using Mr. Leveling thinner with several brands of acrylic paints. Tamiya, Gunze etc.. No problems so far. I have no idea how much if any Mr. Mild Retarder is int he thinner but I keep that here also just in case I need to slow paint curing a bit more. I recommend it highly. :smile:

ToMiNAToR333
05-14-2005, 05:58 AM
ok guys, thanks for the help....
the reason i ask this is coz i heard that tamiya syntheic laqcuers r not true laquers, only modified enamels (meaning they use another thinner), so i though id try and make my own modified enamels ;)
im not really doin it to save moeny, im just trying to find a good medium between acryls (fast dry time) and enamels (hardness of finish)
has anyone here used tamiya synt lacquer thiunnner to thine enamels or acryls?
anyways, ill keep u guys posted on any testing that i do

Add your comment to this topic!