Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 malibu power steering pump removal

thoedpimp
05-12-2005, 01:25 PM
my power steering pump pulley wheel has cracked completely off the bearing wheel. so now im trying to take the power steering pump off to see if i can replace the pulley wheel itself or if i have to replace the whole pump. so far ive gotten the belt off and 2 of the 3 mounting bolts. the third is giving problems.... i see that the motor mount is slightly in the way. i was wondering if anyone knew if i had to remove that motormount to fully remove the power steering pump?

BeatnikTermite
05-13-2005, 07:28 AM
Yes you do.

Gather a piece of plywood and a floor jack. Use the wood between the jack and the oil pan on the bottom of the motor to spread out the load. Jack up the engine just enough to relieve the weight, but not enough to lift the car off of the ground. You should be ok when the engine mount bolts move fairly freely. Remove the engine mount. then you can get to the pump. Be sure to go to the library and copy the torque specs page out of the Hayne's or Chilton's manual before you go to reinstall everything.

This is also the time to replace the accessory belt, since you need to take off the engine mount to get to that as well. You may also want to look into doing the water pump as well due to accesssability.

Hope this helps. Have fun.

thoedpimp
05-13-2005, 12:54 PM
thanks... i figured it out... ive replaced the belt b4 so i knew if i was to remove the motor mount on that side i would need to hold the engine up.... but not using the oil pan, it specificly says that on the bottom of the engine, so i used the block. now my problem is the air in the lines, i dont know how to remove all the air without going thru a bunch of cans of fluid.

mcquadey
05-13-2005, 06:12 PM
to bleed the air out of the p/s system,set the parking brake, raise the front wheels off the ground. take the p/s reservoir cap off, then get in the vehicle, turn the key on ( without the engine running. do not take the vehicle out of park) cut the steering wheel all the way to the left, then all the way to the right. do this about ten times. this is how you bleed the air out. then lower the vehicle and fill the reservoir back to the normal level if the fluid level went down excessively. you should be good to go after that.

Add your comment to this topic!