Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

obd II tuning

Igovert500
05-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Hey, I'm just curious what you guys with turbos and obdIIs are using for tuning, etc. At this point I'm doing some researching for the future round of upgrades (turbos, injectors, fuel pump, larger MAF, etc) and I'm just considering a few different options.

Standalone ECU(AEM EMS) is an option I'm considering..but I'm more interested in what piggyback options people suggest.

Without being able to monitor knock, what do you value. Wideband o2s, timing control (E-Manage) or just fuel control? I know there are a bunch of options, and I'm basically just trying to decide what path to take. Really just any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.

Hit_N_Run-player
05-11-2005, 11:26 PM
im not really good in the fuel area, but it sounds like a tuned ECU would help you out alot...im not sure what companys offer tuning for mitsu though, i can only recommend companys for a 240...sorry, but good luck

nissanfanatic
05-12-2005, 12:57 AM
Well, obviously stand-alone is the optimal route to go. Complete control of all parameters(timing, fuel, ect). OBDII woudn't even be an issue then as your stock ECU would be in the circular file. You should also convert from a MAFS to a speed density system. Much better for setting certian functions for certian boost levels, enables the running of open atmosphere BOVs, overall a better choice for turbocharged applications. Tuning does cost some money for an EMS though.

For piggybacks, an Apexi SAFC-II is the standard choice. Simple device that adjust MAFS voltage to compensate for larger injectors. Messing with MAFS voltage does affect timing a lot as the computer uses "load" to determine timing advance. You can most definately monitor timing. Plus side is your car is already set up for boost stock. Timing maps are designed around forced induction. So a SAFC prolly won't mess with timing a whole lot. Scenes how you are running a very popular car, people have prolly already determined what timing values are optimal. Greddy Emanage is a waste of money IMO. No matter how you look at it, it is still a piggyback. In closed loop operating, the stock ECU still wears the pants in the family. With the money you spend on that, you shoudl be able to get a tuned stock ECU custom tuned for larger injectors. Cool thing is it will have custom tailored timing maps as well. It will be pretty much plug and play with the injectors and MAFS.

Definately invest in a wideband O2 sensor. www.streetrays.com has some good deals on PLX widebands. I bought the PLX M-300 and it is/was worth every penny. Nice display, and super easy to hook up. Another device you may want to look into is a scan tool. Get one that shows base and total timing. This way you can watch timing. Gotta watch fuel and timing or else....

Teh thing you really have to ask yourself is how much power you want. Obviously a piggyback isn't gonna be 1000whp friendly. Adn obviously an EMS is overkill for 50whp more. Should prolly just look around on some other forums and see what people are doing with their 3000gts. www.stealth316.com has tons of info. I read there and I own a 240sx KA24DE-t.lol And its even stickied on one of the other forums I go to.

And OBD1 or 2 wont really make too much of a difference in modifying. Not from what I've seen anyways. Maybe throw a couple more codes, but nothing serious.

Overall, I vote tuned ECU. Very flexibile tune. Go with very large injectors when you send the ECU off so that you always have room to grow with larger turbos, mods, ect. Good luck.

Igovert500
05-16-2005, 03:34 PM
Oh, I'm very well aware of what other 3S owners are running, I'm a member of multiple forums, and try to stay on top of everything, and probably know Jeff Lucius' site like the back of my hand :biggrin: I was mainly asking just to get a general consensus on what other obdII car owners go with.

I've been debating on which mid-level turbo/injector setup to go with. And with that decision comes the decision of what electronics to use. In general, I think the EMS would be overkill for the 3 options I'm considering. I know a few people who successfully run E-manage with each setup and are very pleased with it. SAFC2 was another option, but I feel that wouldn't be sufficient simply paired with a MAF tuner, and wideband, if I went with the largest of the 3 turbo options.

So yeah, basically, I was just debating between a few setups and wanted to see other's opinions without limiting it to only the options I had been considering. But anyway, thanks for the replies guys.

beyondloadedSE
05-16-2005, 05:44 PM
My pcm is dyno tuned from SCT. The EEC-V engine management in the contour is far more advanced than a standalone. However, there are a few people using e-manage.

Add your comment to this topic!