EGR How hard to move should pintle be?

billqs
05-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Hey!

I'm trying the EGR valve clean suggested on this forum. I used the instructions provided in the FAQ and the "EGR Cleaning for Dummies".

The valve looks really grungy and the pintle won't move at all. I've been spraying cleaner fluid into it but still no movement.

Just how free moving should the pintle be? Should it move easily up and down inside, or should it take a lot of pressure to get it to move.

Thanks for everyone's help :smile:

Bill

amigo-2k
05-11-2005, 10:57 AM
Pretty freely.

I would stay 2-3x as much spring as a ball-point-pen.

I just stick a screw driver in and bounce it a couple of times. Then spray. Then bounce and so on.

billqs
05-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the quick reply... A kind of stupid question though... Where should I spray. I was spraying on top of the pintle. I noticed that in the larger hole that is for the exhaust I seem to see a spring and the underside of the pintle. Is this the best place to spray?

Thanks!

Bill

amigo-2k
05-11-2005, 11:20 AM
I usually spray both of them out.

billqs
05-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Well, I did the EGR clean...

I emptied the whole can into the EGR vacuum port. The car did NOT like it. I upped the idle so that it ran while emptying the can. It was still idling rough. I guess it will idle better after I run it awhile?

I reattached the EGR once I got the pintle cleaned out nice and clean to where it moves in and out perfectly. Thanks on the advice to keep trying. I finally got it working!

I disconnected the negative battery terminal to reset any codes per the olf 2fisheye instructions and it broke on me... go figure.

Should I have continued to force idle the car with the EGR valve off until it returned to steady idle?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm new. I think all things considered I did a good job...

Bill

amigo-2k
05-11-2005, 01:51 PM
once everything is clean you should be able to put it all back together and start it up and take it for a spin.

SOLSTER
05-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Wow, the EGR cleaning for dummies I wrote up still gets a look from time to time, nice to hear!

I thought I'd post it hear for future newbies:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=329006

billqs, Let us know how it all works out!

SOSLTER

billqs
05-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks Solster! The EGR Guide for Dummies was very useful, as was amigo's FAQ. I got it back together and after running it for a bit the idle smoothed back out and it seems to be running well! I'm still going to replace the spark plugs in it and put some NGK's in. Hopefully, this will take care of my intermittent power loss.

Thanks

Bill

4x4Ro-d-o
05-14-2005, 10:25 PM
I just cleaned my EGR valve too. Used the whole bottle of intake cleaner on just the small tube. I got adventurous and pulled the throttle body off and cleaned the tube in the intake manifold using a long screwdriver and a small wire brush. Got rid of my CEL throwing the 0401 code.

Superdave37076
09-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Okay, did all this and still have 0401 cel. The pintle moves freely, but have the same code. What next? Is there a way to check th EGR valve as far as voltage?
Thanks,
Dave

trooperbc
09-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Okay, did all this and still have 0401 cel. The pintle moves freely, but have the same code....Thanks,
Dave

what, exactly, did you do? . . .please. . .

Superdave37076
09-14-2006, 10:17 PM
I removed the EGR and cleaned it with carb cleaner. The pintle moves freely and there was very little carbon buildup. I also cleaned the tube. Still have CEL with code 0401 EGR flow insufficient.

amigo-2k
09-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Did you remove the battery connection for 15-30 minutes to clear the codes before checking them again?

Superdave37076
09-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Yes

trooperbc
09-14-2006, 10:48 PM
I removed the EGR and cleaned it with carb cleaner. The pintle moves freely and there was very little carbon buildup. I also cleaned the tube. Still have CEL with code 0401 EGR flow insufficient.

OK, and after, did you test the operation of the EGR.
i.e.

**did you visually observe the piston moving up and down as you increased rpm -- from under the hood?

**did you test for vacuum at the vac hose? hot? cold? idle? rev'ed?

**did you test at idle by removing the vac hose and observe poorer running and decrease in rpm?

inotherwords, the basic egr tests?
and the results?

you know, but to make sure, the codes are meant to point you to the system that's causing the code, not necessarily the specific part. it might, for example be the vacuum switching valve, or vacuum line leaks, or . . .but you gotta do the basic preliminary testing to start to narrow it down.

hth

//bc

P.S. ADD: i just saw in your profile that you have a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo, so above checks may not be as possible as egr valves i'm familiar with and as on my 1992 trooper. . .but try what you can; it'd be informative.

amigo-2k
09-14-2006, 11:16 PM
You might want to try cleaning out the tube and EGR again. Maybe shoot a little compressed air in the tube and see if you can feel it coming out the tube in the intake.

It is rare for an EGR to die, but it does happen (there is some details in the FAQ's about opening up the EGR and resodering some connections.

Add your comment to this topic!