98 Camry glassy rattling sound when accelerating

Alenka
05-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Hi guys,

Wondering if anybody might have a suggestion for a 98 Camry sedan that's making a rattling noise somewhere to the front/right side during acceleration. Sometimes you can faintly hear it when the car is idling, too. Sounds kind of like letting a chain dangle into a glass jar.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Alenka

Brian R.
05-11-2005, 10:02 AM
Sounds like your engine is pinging. Try a tank of 93 octane gas and see if it changes the situation. If so, you are probably running lean or you have dirty combustion chambers. If you get relief from 93 octane, try some fuel injector cleaner (like Chevron Techron) in a tank of gas. That may help clean your injectors and give your engine more gas - no longer lean.

If you don't find this helps, run some SeaFoam (from NAPA or other car parts store) through your engine as the directions indicate. Normally, you suck it in to the intake manifold. Your neighbors will love you when your combustion chamber deposits come pouring out your exhaust pipe, so do it away from home.

If these don't help, come back.

cutiger62
05-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Alenka...I've got the same issue. 160,000 on this baby and still going strong......the clanking noise is probably the timing belt/chain inside the housing. Start the engine and go to the passenger side of the engine. Just inside the fender well on the front of the engine is the timing belt area....you may want to listen close...cause I'm betting that's what's happening. Now I have a question...my front turn signal lamp lens does not open up to reveal the bulb like the Chilton's manual sez. It is either stuck or there are other screws that need to be loosened.

Any ideas!

Alenka
05-12-2005, 12:53 AM
Thank you, Brian, I'll suggest those to my properly qualified friend. I wouldn't mess around under there for a million dollars. I have hands that break things. :)

Alenka
05-12-2005, 01:56 AM
Alenka...I've got the same issue. 160,000 on this baby and still going strong......the clanking noise is probably the timing belt/chain inside the housing.

The timing belt was supposedly changed right before I bought it four months ago ... so if that's the problem, there's an ass I need to go and kick. Good luck with your headlight. :)

Brian R.
05-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Try the high-octane gas first - easy test.

Add your comment to this topic!