Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

what swap for tubo app in eg hatch?

miltime_eghatch
05-10-2005, 10:52 PM
I am new to this but i have looked around and cant find what i am lookin for. i got a 93 hatch vx and want to do a swap with in the next year. I do want to turbo at the same time as build. I was looking for some opinions on what motor is best for turbo in the eg hatch, whith what tranny and other extra's. :screwy: Could use any help!

97integrals
05-11-2005, 11:53 AM
I am new to this but i have looked around and cant find what i am lookin for. i got a 93 hatch vx and want to do a swap with in the next year. I do want to turbo at the same time as build. I was looking for some opinions on what motor is best for turbo in the eg hatch, whith what tranny and other extra's. :screwy: Could use any help!

I would suggest swapping in a B18c1 if you are looking to build the bottom end of the motor. If your looking to stay stock internals and keep it at or under 300whp I would go with a B18b1. Tranny I would go with either a gsr or a si depending on what kind of driving the car is going to be doing. We need more info to help you better like your budget, HP goals, is this going to be a street car or a track car. If it is a track car are you looking for a drag car or more of a road race car. Give us more info and we can help you out more!!

turboEKhatch
05-11-2005, 04:39 PM
For the price of a GSR swap you can almost have a turbocharged LS swap with good parts, it worked out that way for me. No brainer IMO.

miltime_eghatch
05-11-2005, 11:01 PM
Sorry about not giving specs! It will be a daily driver. i dont think i will be doing any road racing but would the drags. i think that within the next year or so i could save maybe $6000. I would like to be around 350-400 whp. whatever to get me into the 11's. i do have to pass emoissions at the same time as well, i asume that it is strict as cali.

miltime_eghatch
05-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Is it easy to do just the ls swap then vtec later on or is to much to deal with? And how much does the vtec really help say with a 400whp LS with turbo?

miltime_eghatch
05-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Can i also add the turbo set up later on as well. Still planning on building the motor to start though.

97integrals
05-12-2005, 12:03 AM
With your goals I would suggest swapping in the ls and going turbo, new rods and pistons with a gsr tranny. AS far as emissions in cali your not going to pass with 300-400hp however your could file for exemption under 5000 miles and get a new gauge cluster to swap in when emission time comes around! If you don't know what kind of set-up to go with for your goals I would suggest talking to fulll-race.com or evans-tuning.com for some help. The full-race manifolds (in my sig) are probably going to be out of your budget but they are the best around. If you don't buy their manifold the guys at full-race are really cool and they will help you with your set-up anyways. Good luck, and research as much as you can. Check out the forums on the Evans tuning web site it will show you what kind of power different set-ups are making.:wink:

miltime_eghatch
05-12-2005, 01:08 AM
Why does making 3-400 hp effect your emissions? i thought that that the ls tranny is good with turbo, is the gsr better?

97integrals
05-12-2005, 01:34 AM
Why does making 3-400 hp effect your emissions? i thought that that the ls tranny is good with turbo, is the gsr better?
300-400whp is going to effect emissions, because first you are not going to pass the sniffer, and second you definitely are not going to pass the visual inspection unless you know someone that works there. The whole LS tranny is better for boost is a long running myth in the Honda community it has been covered in many debates, this is from boosted hybrid (a.k.a. Jeff Evans founder of Evans tuning):

Gear ratios are merely a way to trade torque for rpm. With a higher numerical gear ratio, you are putting more rpm at the wheel. With closer gear ratios, you are able to stay at a higher rpm in between shift points. Something like the LS transmissions are suited more towards the broad torque curve/low reving LS engine. It keeps you in the peak torque area in between shifts. The ITR/SI/GSR transmissions keep the rpm's built up in between shifts, to stay in the more peaky powerband.

Having said that, for the track the itr/si tranny is the best hands down. Most high whp turbo engines are operating between 5.5-9k, and having their shift points in between. In combination with a tall slick size (24.5"+), and the high shift point (8.5-9k), you are able to keep the engine operating within the optimum torque curve.

With the LS transmission, between shifts it would possibly drop you out of the optimal powerband and therefore make you slower. Gearing simply put allows you to stay in the powerband of your engine in between shifts.

The myth that you stay in gear longer with the LS transmission makes you faster is purely false. Think about that statement for a second. Acceleration is the measure of velocity over a unit time. Watching the rpms climb on the tach during a 3rd/4th gear pull, they would be climbing slower than with the si/itr tranny. Looking at the definition of acceleration as a measure of velocity over a unit time, the engine would be getting to the same velocity over a slower time lapse. This would yield slower acceleration, and simply put make you slower.

Having said that, the gsr transmission is probably the best balance of a street/strip transmission. The gearing is a little less aggressive as the itr/si transmissions, which will yield a little more traction. For all out acceleration si/itr tranny wins hands down. For a slower car, go with the LS transmission.

miltime_eghatch
05-12-2005, 04:35 PM
Last ? for now.
Can i do the VTEC conversion later or will it screw things up? and what about the turbo?

kris
05-12-2005, 08:13 PM
H22 + boost. Why mess with the smaller motor?

miltime_eghatch
05-12-2005, 10:37 PM
I like the price of the ls swap! and its a good application for a turbo, at least what ive heard.

97integrals
05-13-2005, 12:28 PM
H22 + boost. Why mess with the smaller motor?
I think the h22 swap in the hatch is great, but I think it is a more difficult swap than a b series for someone's first or second project. But I am also bias towards the b18.

miltime_eghatch
05-13-2005, 01:21 PM
is the h22 really that much more wight? does the prelude suspension reverse the problem. and i thought that it is not as good as the LS for boost.

Add your comment to this topic!