No Idea What To Look For...

Pages : [1] 2

SRP | Lucian
05-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Hey,

I've searched and looked at the Stickies but I have no idea what to look for. None, zero, zip, nada. Anyways, I've looked around Ebay, Autotraders, etc. and found a lot of cars that I like but just have no idea what I want, so I was hoping that you guys could help me out if possible.

I would like a car that's fairly easy on the eyes (Look's pretty decent) and has a pretty decent engine. I don't need a car that's ridiculously fast but I also don't want one that's going to get beaten by a 5 year old a tricycle. :) I would also like it to have a fairly hefty amount of aftermarket parts. Finally, I would like it to be under $10K, the cheaper the better. I would also like a 2 Door/Coupe.

Anyways, since I have no idea what I'm looking for so I'll probably get laughed at but I've been looking at:

-Honda Del Sol
-Honda CRX
-Mitsubishi Eclipse (Which variant?)
-Mitsubishi Lancer (Not the Evo, sorry, too expensive)
-Nissan 240SX
-Nissan 300ZX
-Eagle Talon Tsi AWD (Not to fond of the looks, but I've heard good things about it)

If I've missed any cars that you highly recommend, please, speak up. I'm really sorry that I've got to make a post like this but I've no idea what to look for. Even if you could just point me in the right direction, I would be extremely grateful. Moderators, if you feel I should search more, please feel free to lock this.

Thank you!

-Stephen

RACER D12
05-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
Nissan 240SX
Nissan 300ZX

drftk1d
05-10-2005, 05:03 PM
out of those i'd pick the eclipse/talon and the 240sx. Keep in mind the 240sx is FR while the eclipse/talon can be FF or AWD.

TheStang00
05-10-2005, 05:56 PM
5.0 fox body mustang, HUGE aftermarket, decent looks. and a motor with a lot of potential

SRP | Lucian
05-10-2005, 07:31 PM
Awesome, thanks for all of the replies! I really appreciate it. Just a quick noob question. What's FF and FR stand for? I know it's ridiculous how stupid I am but, um...yeah.

Also, just thought that I'd mention that this is just for racing from street light to street light with friends. Nothing serious and no drag here.

Thank you so much!

drftk1d
05-10-2005, 08:12 PM
FF = front engine, front wheel drive
FR = front engine, rear wheel drive

SRP | Lucian
05-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Okay, thanks. I've been looking around and now I'm really confused. I really like the look of the more modern cars so now I'm looking at:

- 90's+ Nissan 300ZX
- Honda Civic (Probably the Si Hatchback)
- Dodge Neon
- Eclipse GSX

I'm still leaning towards the Eclipse because I like the more rounded lines of the modern cars versus the "boxy" lines on the older one's but I still can't decide.

Also, I put the Dodge Neon and Civic in there because I've heard a lot of conflicting info. Some people say there great cars with lots up aftermarket parts while others say there horrible...

drftk1d
05-10-2005, 09:10 PM
depends on your circumstances. is this car a daily driver? does it have to be driven in the city alot? how expensive is gas near you?

Andydg
05-10-2005, 09:12 PM
How about an LT1 F-body (Camaro/Firebird)??? The GSX is kinda quick stock but for a little money it can be a very quick car. They're not the most reliable cars though.

SRP | Lucian
05-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Okay, thanks. I definately want a reliable car as I'm not the most...car savvy person. Anyways, I think I found the dream car for me, hopefully.

The 3000GT seems perfect for me. It's pretty cheap, from what I've seen. I've seen them on Ebay for under $10K. I was also looking at the Toyota MR-2 which seems like a nice car.

I've got a quick question about the MR-2 though, I've seen some that are listed as the Spyder MR-2 and other's that are just listed as a MR-2 but are obviously completely different cars. Which is the better?

Thank you so much for all of your help and I'm really sorry for all of the questions.

Edit: I'm really sorry but one more question, I've heard a lot of talk about the DSM. Is that just the Eagle Talon TSI? Thank you.

drftk1d
05-10-2005, 09:32 PM
85-89 mr2
http://www.supras.nl/images/Leon-AW11-1b.jpg
had a supercharged model
91-95 mr2
http://www.centmoto.co.jp/stock-japan/toyota%20mr2%20sw20%202.jpg
had a turbocharged model
00-05 mr2
http://zzw30.hp.infoseek.co.jp/0109AllJapanMrsOff/snap/DSCN7063S.jpg
thats the spyder (its a convertible).

you have aim?

drftk1d
05-10-2005, 09:35 PM
what we call a DSM around here usually refers to the 90-99 mitsubishi eclipse/eagle talon and 90-94 plymouth laser turbocharged models.

SRP | Lucian
05-10-2005, 10:10 PM
Wow, thanks for the fast replies. I think I'm leaning towards a Nissan 300ZX now because I really like the looks of the 1990 model. Quick question, are some years better than others or are they all nice? Also, does anyone know if there's a picture/poster that features all of the 300ZX's? One more thing, if I don't get the Twin Turbo, is the standard version still good?

DriftKid - Thanks for the pics. Are any of those yours? Oh yeah, my AIM is l337 SP4NG.

Thanks!

Edit: Now I was looking around at a lot of your posts DriftKid and now I kind of want an older RX7. Hehehe, I'm getting high on cars, there's just so many to choose from. Anyways, how would you say a 85-87 RX7 Compares to a 300ZX. Also, I saw someone mention a Z32 300ZX, how is this different from your standard 300ZX?

Thank you so much!

GritMaster
05-11-2005, 01:47 AM
Z32 is a 300zx. no difference. Z33 = 350z

youngvr4
05-11-2005, 02:14 AM
Wow, thanks for the fast replies. I think I'm leaning towards a Nissan 300ZX now because I really like the looks of the 1990 model. Quick question, are some years better than others or are they all nice? Also, does anyone know if there's a picture/poster that features all of the 300ZX's? One more thing, if I don't get the Twin Turbo, is the standard version still good?

DriftKid - Thanks for the pics. Are any of those yours? Oh yeah, my AIM is l337 SP4NG.

Thanks!

Edit: Now I was looking around at a lot of your posts DriftKid and now I kind of want an older RX7. Hehehe, I'm getting high on cars, there's just so many to choose from. Anyways, how would you say a 85-87 RX7 Compares to a 300ZX. Also, I saw someone mention a Z32 300ZX, how is this different from your standard 300ZX?

Thank you so much!

still good, but not so quick. i beleive there mid 15 second cars, maybe low 15 second cars. how fast are you looking to go. you want a 15 second car a 14 second car or a 13 second car. you want nice handling or just go straight fast. i can tell you that any turbocharged car is gonna be easy to modify.

from what i get from you, i think a mr2 turbo would fit you fine.
or maybe like someone said above, a LT1 Z28 camaro

http://www.socal-fbodies.org/images/nmidd95z.jpg

it has the C4 corvette engine in it, it runs low 14's in the 1/4 mile
talk about a fun car to drive, rwd burnouts and all, this can be had for around 8-9 grand with low miles. we got some up here for about 6500 with 80k miles on it.

or a mr2 turbo
http://www.sleepy-fish.com/d/images/MR2/Car%202.jpg

high 14 second car, 14.8-14.7, crazy handling, engine is in the back, like in a ferrari or a acura nsx, and can be had for under 10 grand

here are the specs
General Information
Miles Per Gallon: 20/27 mpg
Curb Weight: 2825 lbs
Layout: Mid-Engine/RWD
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Engine
Type: Turbocharged Inline-4
Displacement: 1998 cc
Horsepower: 200 bhp @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 200 lb-ft @ 3200 rpm
Redline: 7200 rpm
Performance
0-60 mph: 6.2 sec
0-100 mph: 15.2 sec
Quarter Mile: 14.7 sec @ 96 mph
Skidpad: .94g
Top Speed: 145 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph: 106 ft
Slalom Speed: 64.5 mph
Information

U

those are my idea's for you, hell go test drive em

TatII
05-11-2005, 07:53 AM
there is one reason why i would not recommend the LT1 F bodies becasue they have the worse interior i have ever seen. this guy doesn't seem to be very experienced yet, so i would not recommend any high powered rear wheel drive vehicle yet, esp a Mid engine rear wheel drive like a MR2 turbo.

i would say to start off with something that is relative slow ( low 16 second car ) but can be made to be fast with a few grand ( high 11 second car ) like a 240sx. its easy to drive with good tq, but he won't regret gettin it when he wants to add more power later on because its still a rear wheel drive. it has dones ot aftermarket support. you can add almost any engine to it, you can either turbo the original engine, or you can swap in the japanese engine which is a turbo 4, of you can swap in skyline engines, which are turbo 6 cylinders and it will be relative light ( into a 2800lb chassis ) instead of being in the original cars which weights 3200-33000lbs.

here is a pic of 240sx's.

heres a 1989-1994 S13 240sx coupe ( the japanese version )

http://www.versionselect.com/images/fusion9.jpg

heres is a 1989-1994 S13 240sx coupe ( the american version )

http://www.versionselect.com/images/neko2.jpg
notice how it has pop up lights in the front instead

here is a how a 1989-1994 S13 hatch back looks

http://www.versionselect.com/images/xat5.jpg

here is a 1995-1996 S14 240sx like mine

http://www.versionselect.com/images/JLine_S14_5.jpg

here is a pic of a 97-98 240sx

http://www.versionselect.com/images/tempura4.jpg

SRP | Lucian
05-11-2005, 09:47 AM
Awesome! Thanks for all of the replies, epspecially TatII and youngvr4. Thanks for all of your help guys, I really appreciate it.

I think TatII nailed it right on the head. Since I'm a novice I would like a car that will suit my needs (Nothing to fast) yet can be upgraded to be a good car later.

TatII - What are the main differences between the 240SX and the 300ZX? I kind of like the 300ZX body more so I'm kind of leaning towards that but some of the 240SX's you showed are very niec. I just like the one's with the body kits.

Anyways, would you also recommend the 300ZX or is the 240SX a better bet for me at the moment?

Thank you so much for all of your help.

-Stephen

Drifty
05-11-2005, 09:59 AM
definitly 240sx would be better for you now and its just like tatII said try not to get a high power car for your 1st car the 240sx is rather well rounded candidate being a light car with 155hp on the stock US. spec motor and those cars are easy to make quick and sexy looking

TatII
05-11-2005, 11:35 AM
a 240sx will have more power potential then a 300zx non turbo. however the 300ZX non turbo is much faster stock then a 240sx. however 300zx has interchangable parts with a 240sx. you can put the 300zx brakes into the 240sx with no modifcation. you can put the 300zx limited slip rear differential with very little modification.

the 240sx is the cheaper lower end model to the Z. think of the 240sx as a prelude, and the Z as a nsx. but yes the Z definitly has the better interior, and a more expensive looking exterior. but the 240sx can look very good with minor body work like what i showed you, and nothing cna beat that mean rear wheel drive staggered wheel look that you can get with a RWD like a 240 or a Z.

the main thing is that Z's are pretty hard to work on, theres really no room to fit your hand into tight spots to change parts. also the parts for the Z are generally more expensive becsaeu the car is more expensive when new. both have good aftermarket but like i said, a 240sx can be made to go faster for cheaper with only a few thousand invested. the non turbo Z's will need a turbo engine swap to get any real power out of it.

right now with probrably $4000 under my hood, i'm faster then a 287hp 350Z. i know a guy with around $7000 under his hood and hes running high 11's!! thats faster then a dodge viper and in the FORD GT category. his car is not even maxxed out yet. he can spin his drag radial tires that are 235mm wide down the race track in 5th gear goin 110mph.
now that is some serious power to break those tires loose esp at those speeds, his engine is making close to 500hp, and hes planning to hit 600hp by the end of this summer.

chexmixa
05-11-2005, 03:21 PM
I have been doen a lil research on a new car also, mainly because i wrecked my srt-4 :(

One car i have been toying with possibly buying is a focus. As of now i am looken at higher model focus's like the Svt and the ZX4 st. but you could get a base model ford focus zx3 with under 50k miles on her for less then 10k. The zetec that they have in there actually makes decent power. In Stock form you will run mid 16s. Wich imo that is a great starter speed. The motor is quite a strong engine and can handle boost very well. You can find S/C Kits and TC kits all over the place for em.

The SVT and the ZX4 St that i am looken at are pretty nice. the Svt is priced around 16k used and the ZX4 ST is priced 18k new. Both of them are high 15 sec cars, decently quick, but they handle very well and have a nice interior for a economy car. The Duratec in the Zx4 ST is a beast. It will take plenty of boost and its quite easy to make power out of that motor. The Zetec in the SVT makes 170 hp andrevs all the way out to 7k. It is a lil harder to make power out of that motor but it responds to boost resonable well.

My personal favorite budget car is the 92-95 civic coop 5 speed. You can easily get one for 1-2k with a quite a few miles on the odo. Then you drop in a diff motor and tranny wich will prolly cost you 4-5k total. With the motor + trans swap your looken at low 15s to 14s depending on what motor you picked and how good of a mechanic you are.

CivRacer95
05-11-2005, 04:53 PM
My personal favorite budget car is the 92-95 civic coop 5 speed. You can easily get one for 1-2k with a quite a few miles on the odo. Then you drop in a diff motor and tranny wich will prolly cost you 4-5k total. With the motor + trans swap your looken at low 15s to 14s depending on what motor you picked and how good of a mechanic you are.

That is all very true Chex. Truthfully though, if you plan on spending 15- 20K on a Focus, don't. There are plenty of cars that you can spend that money on. Your idea of getting the 5th Gen Civic is what I would hope you would do. The Focus really isn't worth the price you are looking to pay.

Lucian, as far as anything goes. Tat knows his shit. If I remember correctly, the stock motor on those 240's can handle a lot of Horsepower (or is that the SR motors?). Honestly, the 240's were one of my top choices of automobiles to purchase when I was looking around for one. I have a few friends that own them. They are extremely dependable cars, like most Nissans are, and everything Tat has said about them really is how they are. Go with the 240. You'll be more satisfied, and the RWD factor is a huge plus if you are getting into the racing scene. Good luck with your find :thumbsup:.

chexmixa
05-11-2005, 05:21 PM
That is all very true Chex. Truthfully though, if you plan on spending 15- 20K on a Focus, don't. There are plenty of cars that you can spend that money on. Your idea of getting the 5th Gen Civic is what I would hope you would do. The Focus really isn't worth the price you are looking to pay.

I totally agree but there are a few things stopping me going the way of the civic.

First: Parents, they don't want me driving a car older then 3 years old. I don't want to build up a newer civic mainly because it would be extremely expensive and not worth it.

Second: Price, the 2003 and up Civic Si's are too high for my price range, i am looken for a car with 10k miles or less and that would run me at least 18.5 for a used car. On top of that the 03 + SI's are not that fantastic. They have a pig of an engine and they aren't as easy to make fast.

Third: Insurance, The insurance on the SI is more then the insurance for my Srt-4. And with my rates goen up from the accident, (rates are goen up in september) i wont be able to afford those insurance payments.

I am looken at The SVT Focs, Zx4 ST Focus, and the VW GTI VR6. All of them have quite low insurance rates and have awsome platforms to build from. I don't want to get stuck with a dead end car. The previous 2 cars i had before the Srt-4 i couldn't build up without spending ALOT of money (Scion TC and Toyota Tacoma SR5). At least with the cars i am looken at they all have very nice suspensions and its pretty easy to make power outa em.

CivRacer95
05-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Then go with the VR6, much better than the Focus, and it's very well known to most that it doesn't take very much to pull it into the mid to high 14's. Plus they look so much better than the Focus too.

drftk1d
05-11-2005, 05:38 PM
i really wouldnt recommend a turbo rx7 off the bat. unless you really love the car. A NA rx7 is not a bad car though, if you pick up a 89-91 model its decently fast for a beginner, about as fast as a 240sx stock. Plus some models came with a lsd stock (well the 86-88 models had a clutch type, and the 89-91 had a viscous). you can pick up like 20 something hp with just an exhaust (no exaggeration, thats how restrictive the stock one is). plus it has great handling out of the box.

but i would go with tat's suggestion of the 240sx. If i didnt have such an infatuation with the rotary engine i would be driving one now.

SRP | Lucian
05-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Thanks guys. Guess I'll be getting a 240SX, just need to find one now and a sweet body kit for it. :) Quick question, does the 240SX come in TT or is it only the standard model? Also, what year would you recommend? I was poking around the 240SX forum and I know that I'm not going to be getting the most recent one (95?) as that's the one that's a convertible only.

Thanks!

Edit: Also, how's the older RX-7's compare to the 240SX's? I saw DriftKid's RX7 and now I'm starting to get tempted...

-The Stig-
05-11-2005, 06:01 PM
No, the 240sx never came in TT (twin turbo)... and no 240sx ever came turbocharged (in the United States).

Japan had all the cool motors in their cars.

drftk1d
05-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Thanks guys. Guess I'll be getting a 240SX, just need to find one now and a sweet body kit for it. :) Quick question, does the 240SX come in TT or is it only the standard model? Also, what year would you recommend? I was poking around the 240SX forum and I know that I'm not going to be getting the most recent one (95?) as that's the one that's a convertible only.

Thanks!

94 was the year it was convertible only.

95 was a completely different bodystyle.
personally i love the 95-98 240sx, might be hard to find though.

TatII
05-11-2005, 07:07 PM

Thanks!

Edit: Also, how's the older RX-7's compare to the 240SX's? I saw DriftKid's RX7 and now I'm starting to get tempted...

there is only one year the 240 came in a convertable and thats in 94 and those are the S13's ( 89-94 body style ). i personally own a S14 ( the 1995-1998 ) if you look at the picture of the white and black cars that i listed as a 95-98 are the later models. here is a pic of my actual car ( old rims that are too skinny )

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/293000-293999/293867_78_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/293000-293999/293867_81_full.jpg

here is my friends 97

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/625000-625999/625490_9.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/625000-625999/625490_8.jpg

here is a hooked up 95

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/541000-541999/541422_22_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/541000-541999/541422_14_full.jpg

here is a nice hooked up 97

nope no convertables here

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/320000-320999/320418_230_full.jpg

and no they never came turboed from the factory in the united states. they came turboed in japan, but a engine swap is easy. the engines start off with either 205-250hp depending which year. and after the swap they usually give you some goodies with the engine so a swapped 240 will start off with 250-330 hp.

chexmixa
05-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Then go with the VR6, much better than the Focus, and it's very well known to most that it doesn't take very much to pull it into the mid to high 14's. Plus they look so much better than the Focus too.

Agreed, only thing holding me back is finding one for the right price they are kind of expensive here.

TheStang00
05-11-2005, 07:50 PM
im probably gonna get beat for suggesting this in here... :chair: since we had a certain person make all of them look like trash with his antics. but you could find a 99-01 v6 mustang for under 10k, and with a stick they run mid 15's. and you can turbo those cars and get tons of power out of them, for when you want the car to go faster. and as far as aftermarket, probably as big or bigger than any car. and if you can find a really good deal you might be able to find a 99 mustang gt for under 10k. but with these cars your looking at much higher insurance. but i know a guy who put a stroker kit and a supercharger on his v6 stang and he has over 400rwhp. and civ... i actually like the way focuses look, and i have driven a stick zx5, its a really nice car. i liked it a lot. oh and lucian, unless its a srt-4, for gods sake dont get a dodge neon. you wont be happy.

this is just an idea...

TatII
05-11-2005, 08:09 PM
the only VW i would get is the 1.8t's. with very little money, they can whoop on a vr6 in every possible way.

CivRacer95
05-11-2005, 08:18 PM
I was just thinking about those. Audi/Jettas 1.8T's are pretty sweet. Look good overall, and you shouldn't have a hard time finding one for a descent price. Plus, chicks dig em'.

chexmixa
05-11-2005, 08:30 PM
the only VW i would get is the 1.8t's. with very little money, they can whoop on a vr6 in every possible way.

I don't like the 1.8t's tranny, it is made of glass. My friend has gone through one with moderate driving after 8k miles. I would rather have the vr6, 6 speed plus plenty o torque

TatII
05-11-2005, 09:25 PM
but you know how a turbo is. yes the vr6 is faster stock, but with the price difference of the vr6 to the 1.8t, you'll be faster then the vr6. however i wasn't aware of the tranny problem that the 1.8t's have. but since your coming from a srt-4, the vr6 will be disapointing in performance.

SRP | Lucian
05-11-2005, 10:04 PM
Okay, thanks for the replies. TatII, those pictures are awesome, is there some 240SX Gallery where I could check them out?

Also, how fast can a 300ZX do a 1/4 mile? I know it's faster than the 240SX stock and I was just curious...

Thank you.

Edit: So, how would an older RX-7 and a Prelude compare to the 240SX? I'm really sorry, they just kind of caught my eye...

TatII
05-11-2005, 11:38 PM
a non turbo 300zx can run a mid to low 15 second 1/4 mile. a twin turbo can run a 14 flat to a 13.7 trapping usually at around 102mph.

a stock 240sx is a 16.1 car, not fast but not exactly a slug either. you can find pictures of 240's but going to google and just type in nissan S14, or S13 or if your curious the S15 which never made it to the states. then click on image. that will show you plenty of S chassis cars.

SRP | Lucian
05-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Okay, thanks. I really like the look and styling of a Z32 300ZX so I may go with that, possibly. I'm so confused. If I leave that stock for a while, do you think I would get smoked by very many cars? Is a 14 Second car very fast?

Also, what's the differences between an S13 and S14? Are they both a 200SX? Sorry for my noobiness, but like I said, I've no idea what I'm doing. :)

Thanks!

chexmixa
05-12-2005, 12:05 AM
but you know how a turbo is. yes the vr6 is faster stock, but with the price difference of the vr6 to the 1.8t, you'll be faster then the vr6. however i wasn't aware of the tranny problem that the 1.8t's have. but since your coming from a srt-4, the vr6 will be disapointing in performance.

Nothing i get will compair to the performance of the Srt-4. I don't even want to touch a 1.8t cause of thier crappy tranny. Nothing but bad news. The Vr6 is faster stock but thats not what i am looken for. I want to go for more of a car that is an Autocrosser. The 1.8t is a spirited comuter. The Vr6 is a lil more serious with the 6spd and a better suspension. I would kill for a 337 or an anaversery addition gti but with the price thats outa the question.

Focus Svt costs less, better suspension and a superp 6 speed.

After driving a turbo car for a while i don't think i want another one. I don't really like turbos. I couldn't stand having to sit my car after driving it to cool down the turbo. I h8 the idea of all of you power coming from an object rather then your motor. I want a car i can beat the hell out of and then turn it off. I want to be able to do a 1/4 throttle run and not feel like i am towing a boat.

Don't get me wrong i would kill to get my Srt-4 back. But as a next car to have for a lil while, so my insurance to cool down i don't wanna have to worry about how well i took care of the turbo after 5 years.

TatII
05-12-2005, 01:05 AM
perfectly understandible, but if your lookin at autoxing, then i would rule out hte VR6. they are very noise heavy, and they're solid/semi rear trailing arm suspension sucks. they are too heavy to be lively. a 3rd gen vr6 would be a much better auto xing car since they are atleast lighter. i would definitly get a SVT focus if handing is what your after. well sorry to hear about your dislike for turbos. that problem that you have can easily be fixed with a turbo timer. and for me 1/4 throttle gives me like 5 psi on the highway. more then enough to take out most 4 bangers, i would expect your stock turbo to be more responsive then my T4.

you also have to remember, to make your vr6 even come close to your SRT4 your goni to need boost, so no matter how you slice it, your still goin to end up relying on a boost :biggrin:

youngvr4
05-12-2005, 02:16 AM
Okay, thanks. I really like the look and styling of a Z32 300ZX so I may go with that, possibly. I'm so confused. If I leave that stock for a while, do you think I would get smoked by very many cars? Is a 14 Second car very fast?

Also, what's the differences between an S13 and S14? Are they both a 200SX? Sorry for my noobiness, but like I said, I've no idea what I'm doing. :)

Thanks!

just got on here, a 14 second car is pretty dang fast. a 300zx twinturbo or a 2003 mustang gt, those are low 14 second cars, to high 13 second cars. i didnt even think about this being your first car otherwise i wouldnt have told you to get a camaro. but a mr-2 imo is till not a bad choice, though i wouldnt go any farther than that.
the thing is it all depends on you, are you young and uncontrollable, or are you responsible and able to controll yourself? hell my dads first car was a hemi roadrunner. he was fine, no scrathes, no marks. but he just wasnt an idiot and goin racing everything in sight(he raced in back roads were there was no traffic :evillol:)
tis why i say a mr-2 still isnt a bad choice depending on your person. but stay away from low 14 second cars.

as for you question about getting smoked if you bought a 300zx n/a. well, you could run with a svt focus, you could take out stock 240sx's, run with a xr4ti, but a eclipse turbo is gonna get ya, you might get ran by a girl in a turbo beetle lol(j/p kinda), there low 15 second cars. its not very fast but its not terribly slow, youd win some and loose some. but if you race some ricers, you'll win all day long :evillol:

drftk1d
05-12-2005, 05:16 AM
btw insurance is higher on a 300zx than a 240sx.

SRP | Lucian
05-12-2005, 09:45 AM
Okay, thanks. So would you recommend a 300ZX as my first car or should I lay off of something that fast? If so, I'll probably just with the 240SX I just need to find a way to still to make it really appeal to my eye. Whatever, that's my problem not yours. :)

TatII
05-12-2005, 11:52 AM
all 240's are the S chassis cars. 240's from the year 1989-1994 is the S13. 240's from 1995-1998 are the S14. and the cars that never made it to the states from 1999 to 2003 are the S15's.

the difference in the car S13's and S14's are the exterior, interior and size. the S13's are smaller and boxier casue they're older. the S14's are wider and alittle longer and rounder because its a new model.

nissans like to name the chassis in number order. this way when you say a S13, they know which 240 are you exactly talkin about. its sort of like saying, if someone owns a mustang, what year mustang is it? they've been making mustangs since the late 60's. so which year is it coming from? by saying like a fox body mustang, they know its the ones from the 80's to the early 90's.

another example would be the nissan skyline GTR

the GTR from 1989-1994 are the R32, the GTR from 1995-1998 are the R33's and the last of the GTR from 1999-2003 are the R34's. the 3 of them are pretty damn different. igor's GTR from AF is a R34.

same can be said with the Z. a 300ZX from the late 80's is the Z31. the 300ZX twin turbo or non turbo from 1989-1996 are the Z32. the 350Z is the Z33.

do you see the pattern here? same can be said with sentra's. the late 80's sentras are the B12's. and the first SE-R's from like 1992 to the mid 90's are the B13's. then the mid 90's to late 90's sentra's are B14's. and the current sentra's you see today are the B15's.

SRP | Lucian
05-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Thanks so much TatII. You've been such a big help in making my decision. So, I'm pretty much set on getting the 240SX I just need to find one. One final question, should I look for a certain model/year? The S14 is by far more appealing to me but is there any major difference in performance? Oh yeah, is the Silvia a type of 240SX?

Thanks!

youngvr4
05-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Okay, thanks. So would you recommend a 300ZX as my first car or should I lay off of something that fast?

an old grandma can handle a 300zx n/a, there not fast, not dangerously fast at all. if you want the 300zx then get it
wich ever looks better to you, and can also afford insurance then get it

insurance is not gonna be that bad on a n/a 300zx from 1991

either is a good choice

SRP | Lucian
05-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Okay, thank you. I guess I'll just get whatever I can find at a good price with low miles. If I can't get a 300ZX Turbo though, would you just recommend I stick with the 240SX? Also, kind of a dumb question but what's a T-Top?

If anyone sees a 300ZX/240SX for a good deal, please let me know.

Thanks!

TatII
05-12-2005, 06:34 PM
Thanks so much TatII. You've been such a big help in making my decision. So, I'm pretty much set on getting the 240SX I just need to find one. One final question, should I look for a certain model/year? The S14 is by far more appealing to me but is there any major difference in performance? Oh yeah, is the Silvia a type of 240SX?

Thanks!

the 240sx is called a silvia in japan. the reason why they're called 240sx in the states is becasue it runs on a 2.4 liter engine. the silvia's in europe and austrailia is called a 200sx becasue it runs on the 2.0 liter turbo 4, those are the same engine as the silvia that is commonly swapped.

again nissan likes to name their sport cars by their engine displacement.

rednecks 240Z is the very first Z car, and it has a 2.4 liter straight 6

then it grew to a 280Z which is a 2.8 liter straight 6

then finally the 300ZX which runs on a 3.0 v6

then the 350Z which runs on a 3.5 liter v6

the older S12's are called 200sx here in the states becasue they run on a 2.0 4 cylinder.

and there are front wheel drive sentra's called 200sx's becasue they run on a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder.

performance wise, the older S13's are a tad bit faster becasue they are like 200 lbs lighter with the same hp. also they can rev to 7000 while the S14's can only rev to 6500. but the S14 handles better becasue it is 6 inches wider, and is alittle longer.

SRP | Lucian
05-12-2005, 06:39 PM
So, if I'm going to get an S13/S14, they're so similar that I should just go based on looks?

Also, I'm really sorry to do this but I was talking to my friends who have a Honda Prelude, Honda Accord, and an Acura Integra and they say that they really love their cars and they recommended them to me. How would they compare to a 240SX/300ZX?

Thank you! I'm so sorry!

TatII
05-12-2005, 08:29 PM
it depends on what you want to do with them, and what year are you talkin about? the only problem i have with those cars are that they're FWD. drive any high powered FWD and you'll see what i mean. its nothing but wheel hop and lack of traction. however you will be fine until you hit around 280-300whp mark. i have a friend with a turbo integra and he refuses to race people from a stop becasue he knows that he has to play catch up. he cannot put the power down to the ground in the lower gears. its simple physics. when you acelerate there is goin to be weight transfer. the weight will shift from front to back. so under hard acceleration, your taking weight off the front wheels which also happens to be the drive wheels on a FWD. conversly with a MR or a FR when you get weight shift to the back, it aids in traction. also we can fit wwaaaaay wider wheels in our cars then the FWD cars. having 225mm wide tires are considered very very wide for honda standards. i can fit 275mm wide tires on the back of my car, and even wider on the back of a Z.

hondas are very very good beginner cars. all of my friends who drives EVO's, STi, and MR2 turbo all started off driving hondas. but they know all too well of their limitations and will never call a FWD a true performance car, esp if your gonna go power crazy.

heres my personal opinion with these cars

prelude 5th gen 97-01. very very nice cars, kinda heavy but the v-tec is very nice. they are as fast as a non turbo 300ZX. interior is almost indentical to a 240sx. you can stretch the gears pretty far past redline to around 7900rpm. very good low end tq surprisingly. love the looks

prelude 92-96 4th gen, i would only get them in v-tec. these are alittle faster then the 5th gens. it only makes 10 less hp but weights 200 lbs less, and has shorter gearing. not too thrilled about the interior, the plastic is old school honda plastic and i'm not too fond of the digital gauges in the middle of the dash. the car is kinda ugly. it looks like it has two nostrils up front gettin ready to sniff some crack. the front is too angular, the rear is too bubbly. but they are surprising fast

integra DC2 94-2000. kinda small, i'm not fond of the 4 circle headlight look. the front over hang is too long and the rear over hang is too short. this makes the proportion like kinda goofy if you look at it from the side. the roof is too tall also and the body is too short. the interior looks very ugly. the cluster looks like a toilet bowel, the shifter is too far forward and its very awkward to leave your arm fully stretched out front to shift. honda didn't figure out how to place the shifter back then. the prelude's shifters are very nice placed in good height. performance of a GSR rivals that of the v-tec ludes. decently quick, very good power potential as with all v-tecs. engines kinda weak too boost. block design is a open deck design that needs to be sleeved. compression needs to be droped to handle good amount of boost. which is another problem... high power + FWD = wheel spin. and the most major problem i have with them is how often they get stolen. i know 3 people who got their GSR stolen. they are all my good friend's brother or friend of a friend. they just park it in front of their house, and the car is gone. all 3 of them.

honda accord: depending on year, but hte newer years have no potential!!! the F23 engine has hardly any real aftermarket. they make no turbo kits for them, no super charger kits. nothing!! if you want real power yoru stuck with using nitrous. the older 89-93 and 94-97 accords are better choices. you can swap in a H22a from a v-tec prelude into them. but don't expect them to be rockets after you do the swap becasue they weight the same as a prelude. so with all that invested your stuck with a 4 door prelude.

how are they compared to a 240sx? power potential is the same, the ability to use them is not. the 240 will be more balanced once high power is applied. stock for stock, those hondas and acuras will flat out smoke the 240sx. but no body buys a 240 and keep it stock. its a very balanced platform that can do almost anything good.

SRP | Lucian
05-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Wow! Thank you so much! That definately cleared a lot of stuff up for me. So basically, if I'm going to leave the car stock, get one of the Honda's listed but if I'm going to be doing a lot of upgrading, go for the 240SX?

Finally, one more thing (I promise) I was just talking to my friend (The one with the Prelude) and he said that on his way home from work he got smoked by a Toyota MR2 Turbo. How would you say the MR2 Turbo compares to the 240SX?

Thank you so much and I'm really sorry for all of the questions! :(

TatII
05-12-2005, 10:01 PM
my best friend owns one. they can be made to go very very fast for cheap. he will rip me off the line because he is a mid engine. he also has a stiffer chassis then me, a better built interior, and looks better then me. the only problem i have with them is that they're loud. since the engine is right behind you, you really hear the exhuast when your cruising. it sorta annoys the hell out of you. but the exhuast sounds really good though. i was goin to get a mr2 turbo when i thought my car got stolen. its a very good car. and its a high 14 second car stock. but i would suggest getting a 93+ becsaue those have a revised rear suspenion so that you won't end up ass backwards in a ditch if you let off in the middle of corner at high speeds. also they come with larger brakes front and rear, and has a limited slip differential as an option, and comes with 5 spoke 15 inch alloy wheels compared to the older 14 inch ugly pos rims. i would seriously recommend that car too. very very nice car. alittle too unpractical as an everyday car. but great car.

SRP | Lucian
05-12-2005, 10:28 PM
Okay, thanks. So basically, the 240SX or the MR2 Turbo will be very nice? Also, if I don't get the Turbo, would you still recommend it?

I guess whichever one I can find a better deal on I'll get, although I've seen some VERY nice MR2's...

Thanks.

clawhammer
05-12-2005, 10:32 PM
i was goin to get a mr2 turbo when i thought my car got stolen. its a very good car. and its a high 14 second car stock. but i would suggest getting a 93+ becsaue those have a revised rear suspenion so that you won't end up ass backwards in a ditch if you let off in the middle of corner at high speeds. also they come with larger brakes front and rear, and has a limited slip differential as an option, and comes with 5 spoke 15 inch alloy wheels compared to the older 14 inch ugly pos rims. i would seriously recommend that car too. very very nice car. alittle too unpractical as an everyday car. but great car.

MR2s are really easy to mod. With intake, exhaust, manual boost controller and traction it will run very low 13s. Not recommended at all for a first car though, simply because it's not forgiving in the handling. Some people prefer the 91 handling, which in fact is actually better, but even less forgiving. I agree, they're pretty loud.

drftk1d
05-12-2005, 10:49 PM
surprised jekyl and hyde hasnt dropped in here yet.

SRP | Lucian
05-12-2005, 11:00 PM
So, for a beginner a 240SX would be better? Argh! I'm so confused! :)

chexmixa
05-13-2005, 12:11 AM
perfectly understandible, but if your lookin at autoxing, then i would rule out hte VR6. they are very noise heavy, and they're solid/semi rear trailing arm suspension sucks. they are too heavy to be lively. a 3rd gen vr6 would be a much better auto xing car since they are atleast lighter. i would definitly get a SVT focus if handing is what your after. well sorry to hear about your dislike for turbos. that problem that you have can easily be fixed with a turbo timer. and for me 1/4 throttle gives me like 5 psi on the highway. more then enough to take out most 4 bangers, i would expect your stock turbo to be more responsive then my T4.

you also have to remember, to make your vr6 even come close to your SRT4 your goni to need boost, so no matter how you slice it, your still goin to end up relying on a boost :biggrin:

I went to see a friend of mines dad autoX his car and i feel in love with it. I want somethen that handles well and has decent power. I would eventually S/C the Vr6 if i ended up getting that (i didn't btw i have my new car now will get pics and post eventually). Tubro times cost money, something i didn't have the luxory of with the Srt-4 payments, insurance, and gas. I used to think i really liked turbos, more then ne thing. But now that i have had it i have more love for a N/A motor. Something about achieving good HP numbers with engineering alone makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

CassiesMan
05-13-2005, 09:39 AM
Ya know what a great starter car is? A toyota Rav4. You can NDrop it from 6k more than a coupla times, and the tranny will still work five years latter. You can jump it over curbs, spin out, crash into your mom's ML, anything, and it'll run just fine. Shitm we still have mine, it has 90K+ on the clock (five year old car), been beatin to all hell and back, and still runs fine...

God I wish I had been more into cars when I got my first car and gone with the Supra. Sure, it was NA, but still...

Anyways, I agree with Tat here. Go with a 240.

SRP | Lucian
05-13-2005, 01:03 PM
Okay, thanks. Surprisingly, the older kind of sports car look (Older Mazda RX-7's and 300ZX Turbos) is growing on me so I'm thinking about getting one of the older 300ZX Turbos (Also because there much cheaper) and are they very different from the more current ones (1990+)? Do you still recommend it?

Thanks!

TatII
05-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Okay, thanks. Surprisingly, the older kind of sports car look (Older Mazda RX-7's and 300ZX Turbos) is growing on me so I'm thinking about getting one of the older 300ZX Turbos (Also because there much cheaper) and are they very different from the more current ones (1990+)? Do you still recommend it?

Thanks!

hahah yes the Z31 are dirt. the difference between those and the Z32's is night and day. the Z31 was probrably the worst Z ever made. and the Z32 being arguebly the best Z ever made.

SRP | Lucian
05-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Oh. :( So stay away from the Z31's at all costs? In that case, I think I will probably just go with the 240SX.

One more thing, how's the older RX-7's? Or are there any good novice cars that have that type of look? I don't know why but that look is really growing on me...

Thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!