Intermittant loss of power problem

billqs
05-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Hey!

I've really enjoyed this forum. I have a 97 Rodeo with 147K that ocassionally has this problem. When I am accelerating I will notice a couple mini losses of power, kind of like hesitation, then all will be well again for awhile.

I have been in the shop multiple times for multiple reasons. I replaced the fuel filter, air filter and had the fuel injectors cleaned and still have the same problem. The CEL comes on periodically then goes back off. The mechanic said it showed an air flow meter problem and an O2 sensor problem. He said that the Air Flow Meter would be a $600 repair, so if the car is generally running well, not to worry about it.

We are about to go out of town and I want to see if I can figure this out. I will replace the PCV and clean the EGR Valve and Port, and I just bought NGK Irideum plugs. The truck had Bosch in them so that might be part of the problem.

Is the air flow meter a likely culprit? If not, what is? And if it were the Air Flow Meter is that a DIY possible replacement project?

Thanks

Bill

amigo-2k
05-10-2005, 05:33 PM
I would check/clean up your ground points too.

a good EGR cleaning can't hurt.

Have you had the codes read?

Free at AutoZone.

billqs
05-11-2005, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the reply. You mentioned check/clean up ground points. Can you explain what this is? I pulled a search on the terms and got some info, but not enough to know for sure.

There is a screw missing on the valve cover and also a loose wire which I'm imagining is a ground. Is this it?

Thanks

Bill

Add your comment to this topic!