Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Security light on

JTrujillo86
05-10-2005, 04:36 AM
Today when I was leaving the University Library, my red 'SECURITY' light came on after the car had been started. I didn't notice that it was on BEFORE I started the car or even put the key in (I know that that can happen sometimes, too, but usually in that case, the car doesn't start). I had this same issue with my old 97 Malibu, but with that car, it failed to start for a few days. I know this is related to the ignition switch and the Passlock II system, but I was wondering how long everyone thought I could go before I need to replace the swtich -- meaning how long can I go before it just won't start one day. Today has been the first time the light has came on (ever) and after I shut it off, I wanted to see if it would start again, and it did, just fine and without a light. I'm really hoping this is just a small electronics glitch because I cannot afford the $300 or so that it costs to replace the ignition right now...

By the way, she is a silver 2002 GL1 V6 four door with just over 48K miles on it.

Thanks a lot guys,

Jeremy

JTrujillo86
05-10-2005, 04:53 AM
QUICK UPDATE:

I checked at GMPartsDirect.com for an ignition switch with the key and it is $100. If I do purchase this, is it something that I can do on my own or does computer crap in the car need to be reprogrammed and everything? BTW, is this a good deal for one of these or not?

Jeremy

Corynet9
05-10-2005, 05:34 PM
My car did the same thing the other day. I was just driving along and all the sudden the red security light came on. I pulled over and restarted the car and the light didn't come back on. It seemed to have happened after I took a sharp turn around a corner. Hmmm...

jamcllw
05-10-2005, 07:31 PM
I'd try and get another key cut from the dealer. Sometimes when the key wears down the ignition can't detect it as well. Try that first.

JTrujillo86
05-11-2005, 05:00 PM
I think I will try that. I just got a new key cut a few months ago for my roommate, which has never been used in the ignition.

Jeremy

mcquadey
05-13-2005, 06:19 PM
the theftlock system needs to be reprogrammed if u put a new lock cylinder in. sometimes u can do that by putting the key in the ignition and turn it on(engine not running) and leave it for 10 minutes. after that time the security light will either flash or go out. u start it then it will die out. then u start it again and it should run. i wouldn't recommend u replace the lock cylinder though cuz u have to switch the lock tumblers over.

Add your comment to this topic!