Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Distributor bearing failure

jeeper61
05-10-2005, 12:05 AM
Daughter's 92 Accord had noises that turned out to be the distributor shaft bearing on its way out. The shop she took it to says that when it failed, it caused the timing belt to strip off a few cogs and now there is no compression.

Anyone else seen this happen? She is 4 hours from where I live so can't put my eye balls on the situation. She is going to take some pics when they show her the car and parts tomorrow and will email them to me but any "prior experiences" would add to my understanding of what has happened.

Thanks.

Gene

mpumas
05-10-2005, 02:13 AM
There was a tech bulletin on bad distributors during that era and when it came out Honda replaced the bad ones. You might check to see if your year was involved and if it was ever replaced.
Sounds like the bearing seized, the cam stopped, the belt stripped and you have some bent valves.

jeffcoslacker
05-10-2005, 06:41 AM
I recall a lot of them having distributor bearing failures. Never saw one actually cause a cam to try to seize, but I could see it adding enough load to an already worn out belt to rip a few cogs off.

If it didn't go more than a couple of teeth off-time, your valves shouldn't be wrecked. (hopefully) If she drove it to them, it had compression, yes?

jeffcoslacker
05-10-2005, 06:45 AM
That distributor is direct cam driven, right off the opposite end from the timing sprocket. The ones I've seen, the distributor side of the bearing seizes, the distributor locks up, but the cam end of the bearing is still tturning with the cam. You could always tell when they were going bad, when you take the dist cap off, everything under it was covered in rusty red dust. Later they'd start making the weird noises you ere getting, just before breaking.

Add your comment to this topic!