Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Ignition Switch Replacement

mushhhy
05-09-2005, 05:38 PM
Can anyone explain to me how to find and re[place the ignition switch in a 97 balzer

Rick Norwood
05-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Can anyone explain to me how to find and re[place the ignition switch in a 97 balzer

Have you tried a search for ignition switch on this forum? It has been covered many times.

mushhhy
05-09-2005, 05:52 PM
Yes I have and am currently in the process can you give me a hand this thing is driving me nuts and it will be dark soon I would like to get it done b4 then

mushhhy
05-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Just found what I think I need.

Did you ever get help with your question? If not, I had the same situation with my 97 Blazer and I replaced the ignition switch to fix it. It's not to difficult to do.

Remove the lower dashboard, remove the two nuts that hold the steering column up, & remove the plastic shell around the switch area. I had to buy a special tool to actually remove the switch -- it was basically an inverted "star" socket.

The wires from the switch run along the steering column down to the firewall, where the wire casing is bolted into place.

I will let you know how it works.

Thank you

mushhhy
05-10-2005, 06:28 AM
Can anyone explain how to remove the Ignition switch? I have removed the lower dashboard and the covers over the steering column. I cannot get the switch off. there is what appears a bolt with an inverted stars head on it it is smaller than the smallest in my set where may one be purchased? I went to sears and Autozone did'nt have it am going to try another auto perts store today. Does anyone think this might be the Ignition switch that is causing these problems? I am getting a code PO300, and PO141. random misfire and 02 sensor bank one (I believe).
I am not getting much response so I do not know if these questions are nonsensical or that it may be that noone cares tohelp me out. this thing has driven me into the ground financially I have over $3,500 in it with the new engine and all the parts and labor at the Mechanics. I wish I could get some direction to help me get this problem solved.

CrooK CA13
05-10-2005, 10:08 PM
yes replace switch..i had 6 different problem codes that related to my transmission....did research on here and found ign switch was the problem ..so i took the chance...and now no more engine light or funny running blazer....120 bucks isnt to bad...i also installed it myself...some of those bolts ...just have to use some physical persuasion....know what i mean

mushhhy
05-11-2005, 06:25 AM
Thanks,
Where I am now is, I ran it yesterday to get what I think or thought was bad gas out of the tank. I filled it back up and put some sea foam fuel additivein the tank and it ran fine. The codes went out after a few miles. I let it sit a few hours and took it for another spin and it ran great again for about 15 miles then it just died. it sounds like it wants to turn over but when it does start it will only run very rough then die. where do you think I should look? Still yhink it is the ginition switch? I fso does anyone know what size the inverted starz bit is in the steering column it is smaller than the smallest in my set which is an E-6. I have the time an desire to get this fixed tody help please

mike2004tct
05-11-2005, 06:44 AM
Thanks,
Where I am now is, I ran it yesterday to get what I think or thought was bad gas out of the tank. I filled it back up and put some sea foam fuel additivein the tank and it ran fine. The codes went out after a few miles. I let it sit a few hours and took it for another spin and it ran great again for about 15 miles then it just died. it sounds like it wants to turn over but when it does start it will only run very rough then die. where do you think I should look? Still yhink it is the ginition switch? I fso does anyone know what size the inverted starz bit is in the steering column it is smaller than the smallest in my set which is an E-6. I have the time an desire to get this fixed tody help please

Check out this post from last year originally posted by Sfrid073 and CCCD;

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=287636&highlight=SWITCH+REPLACEMENT

mushhhy
05-11-2005, 07:17 AM
Thanks Mike2004tct will do NOW

mushhhy
05-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Well I just replaced the Ignition switch (not the problem) it wants to turn over and does, just before starting it dies. Any suggestions?

Rick Norwood
05-11-2005, 12:04 PM
So you're basically saying it won't start, or that that the starter quits turning?

If it simply keeps grinding away but doesn't start, I'd suspect the ignition module inside the distributor. It is easily removed and can be tested off of the vehicle at Autozone.

mushhhy
05-11-2005, 01:04 PM
No it will not start.
It will turn over and begin to start then chug a few seconds then die. Fuel filter, pump, and pressure are fine. Still think it is the module?

Rick Norwood
05-11-2005, 01:33 PM
No it will not start.
It will turn over and begin to start then chug a few seconds then die. Fuel filter, pump, and pressure are fine. Still think it is the module?

I might be the ignition module. I had the same thing happen to my 93 last week. It would start and run until it almost reached normal temp, then would die. I replaced the ignition module and all was good again.

Most mechanics/parts stores will tell you that ignition modules are either good or bad. The truck will run or it won't start, and are rarely intermittent. But I have seen it both ways. If you live near an Autozone, call and ask if they have the ability to test your ignition module off of the truck. If so, they'll do it for free and free works. If it is not the ignition module, you can rule it out.

mushhhy
05-12-2005, 08:20 AM
I am tired of this piece of s**tand my lack of knopwledge. I sent the Blazer to a real mechanic. I do not want to mess with anything else and screw it up worse than it is. I wioll let ya know what happens.

Rick Norwood
05-12-2005, 08:27 AM
I am tired of this piece of s**tand my lack of knopwledge. I sent the Blazer to a real mechanic. I do not want to mess with anything else and screw it up worse than it is. I wioll let ya know what happens.

Hey Bro, Don't be discouraged. We've all had a vehicle that we've pulled our hair out with. If you succesfully R&R'd the ignition switch, you've tackled a job that most won't do.

The trick is to now peek over your mechanic's shoulder if he'll let you, and learn a little bit more.

None of us hard working Stiffs can afford all of the high tech equipment to properly analyze and repair today's vehicles. Once you get the ol' dog running again, keep a good maintenance schedule and it should serve you well for years to come.

Rick :2cents:

Rick Norwood
05-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Any verdict yet?

mushhhy
05-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the words of encouragement Rick.
It has to get betyter there is not much left to replace on the dog.
I think the problem was solved.
The sensor codes were from a the engine misfiring that I assume was due to to factors 1. from bad gas. 2. From a screw coming lose in the distributor. I put a can of sea foam fuel additive in the tank and it ran great then the lose screw arched in the distributor and screwed everything up. I had the parts replaced and everything seems to be running fine now. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Again thanks for your help

Rick Norwood
05-16-2005, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the words of encouragement Rick.
It has to get betyter there is not much left to replace on the dog.
I think the problem was solved.
The sensor codes were from a the engine misfiring that I assume was due to to factors 1. from bad gas. 2. From a screw coming lose in the distributor. I put a can of sea foam fuel additive in the tank and it ran great then the lose screw arched in the distributor and screwed everything up. I had the parts replaced and everything seems to be running fine now. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Again thanks for your help

What exactly did they replace in the distributor? It sounds like it was the ignition module. (The ignition module is the flat piece approx. 1 inch wide x 3 inches long x 1/2 inch thick, with 2-3 wiring harness connectors on it, the bottom of the module is metal and is held in place with two screws.) If it was the ignition module, I am not really too sure about the loose screw theory. I have replaced the ignition module in my 93 S-10 blazer twice since I bought the truck. I think the heat kills them more than anything. If they are properly installed, the bottom of the module is coated with a special thick white grease, and unless there was some kind of frayed wire, I don't see how it would arc out, but anything is possible.

On both occasions when I replaced my ignition modules in my 93, the thing that I noticed was the absence of the white grease on the bottom of the unit. I theorize that when the white grease , (which acts as an insulator?) finally cooks away due to the heat, the module is soon to follow.

Glad to hear that your up and running. :iceslolan

mike2004tct
05-16-2005, 11:42 AM
What exactly did they replace in the distributor? It sounds like it was the ignition module.

Probably not the module. On my '97, it sits on a bracket with the coil behind the alternator, attached to the intake manifold. The module is exposed to open air, less chance of heat failure? compared to older internal distributor mounted units.

mushhhy
05-17-2005, 07:16 AM
Had it to the mechanic like I said it seems to be fine now. Had to replace the Cat conv. seems I blew it out when it was missfiring and not running properly. Just put the converter on yesterday, waiting to see what else goes wrong. Thanks to allfor the help and appologies for not keeping all info on the same post.

Schrade
05-22-2005, 11:58 AM
If you don't have the right size torx socket, you might get by using an allen wrench - try either metric or standard, but be careful not to strip it out. If it slips one time, go buy the torx socket.

Add your comment to this topic!