Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Loose Steering Column on 1987 Pacifica

weaverm
05-09-2005, 03:38 PM
I've got a 1987 Daytona Pacifica, and my steering column rocks around so loosely that it shuts off the engine when turning around corners and kills the radio intermittently. Not only is the column itself loose within the collar where it exits the dash, the cosmetic column shell also shifts back and forth as much as an inch or so. My manual defers to the dealer for working on tilt columns, but the dealer is out of my budget. Anyone advice?

Polygon
05-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Pick up a Chiltons manual for about twelve bucks at your local part store. It has detailed instructions on how to take apart the column. You will need a steering wheel puller, a lock plate compressor, and some various sized sockets and screwdrivers. It will take a good part of the afternoon but it isn't that hard to do. There are just a few bolts at the tilt that are loose. I would just suggest putting some thread lock when you tighten them.

For the book and tools you won't spend more than $25-$30.

weaverm
05-24-2005, 04:04 PM
Sounds like I should be buying Chilton manuals instead of Hayes. Thanks for the advice, and by the way, nice LeBaron from the back... Did you get your Chilton manual(s) from a particular parts store (ie. Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, or Pep Boys)?

Add your comment to this topic!