tapping noise

garybrill
05-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Hi, My 96 Passport makes the famous tapping noise for one mile when cold, then it stops. Another (clearly inferior!) forum mentioned that it could be the rocker arms or the timing belt tensioner. This posting also said there is an Izizu SB out for the tensioner, but I can't find it. Is it the tensioner, or is it the rockers?? Thanks!!

amigo-2k
05-09-2005, 09:42 AM
search here and try a couple of the suggested cleaning proceedures. If that doesn't help move onto the belt tensor. If you have never changed the belt tensor, I would keep that in mind during the next few years-months-days.

Ramblin Fever
05-09-2005, 09:51 AM
I think it's almost normal for a vehicle to tap for the first minute or so on a cold morning.

Now if it's doing it even in warm weather, that may be something different.

You didn't say how many miles you have.

Do you have an oil usage problem?

anthonyn
05-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Hi, My 96 Passport makes the famous tapping noise for one mile when cold, then it stops. Another (clearly inferior!) forum mentioned that it could be the rocker arms or the timing belt tensioner. This posting also said there is an Izizu SB out for the tensioner, but I can't find it. Is it the tensioner, or is it the rockers?? Thanks!!

Your case is clearly the hydraulic lifters, since it happens only when cold and goes away. Next oil change, try a thinner oil (5w-xx or 0w-xx). Isuzu has a TSB for lifter noise that recommends changing to mobil one 0w-30 fully synthetic oil for one oil change to free up the lifters. The thinner oil should help penetrate the oil passages in the lifters especially when cold. Many vehicles, not just isuzus, have lifter noise when cold. It is considered OK.

garybrill
05-10-2005, 05:32 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I have about 52K on the car now, and always use a thin synthetic, usually Castrol. I'll try thinner as it's about due. There is no oil usage problem. This tapping is WAY beyond anything I've experienced, and I'm an old guy who's driven lots of junk! Thanks again.

Ramblin Fever
05-10-2005, 09:36 AM
Wow! A 96 with only 52K miles. I love those two years, i.e. 96-97.

That amount of tapping does sound like a bit much.

I've never used synthetic, just regular 10W-30 Havoline.

Keep us posted on what you discover.

95RODEO95
05-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Had same problem with my Rodeo finally found an oil to supress the noise. I work at a Napa Auto Parts store and I had tried everything. Royal Purple 10w30 quieted my tapping immediately even upon start up. Very, very impressed with their product. Give it a try. I tried everything like I said Lucas, Mobil 1, Rislone, Redline, Marvel, Amsoil, Power Punch, Moreys, STP, etc. Royal Purple kicked their ass hands down no comparasion.

tygger
06-10-2005, 08:37 AM
What I've read is that most Rodeos have the ticking issue. What I don't understand is why 0w-30 would be any different than say, 5w-30 or 10w-30 in suppressing the noise. I thought that once the oil was at normal operating tems, the 30 weight was all the same in the different 0w, 5w, 10w -30 oils. Can someone explain?

Mine ticks no matter if it's cold or hot... I have about 110k on a 97 Rodeo and use Mobil1 5w-30.

Add your comment to this topic!