Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

front oil seal

johnschmitt
05-09-2005, 12:28 AM
I drive a 99 malibu with the 3100 V6 and my front oil seal's leaking, so I figured I'd replace it.

I was wondering if anyone else has done one, and if so, is there anything weird I should look out for.

Thanks a lot

p.s. This forum saved by V6's life. I never would have guessed it had an aluminum intake manifold bolted to two aluminum heads and an iron block with a shitty gasket between them in time otherwise.

johnholl
05-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Are you positive you want to poor even more money into that motor? Unless it's costly, I'd keep adding oil

bearcatdon
05-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Are you positive you want to poor even more money into that motor? Unless it's costly, I'd keep adding oil

Just think of the money you'll save in oil changes :)

johnschmitt
05-10-2005, 11:51 PM
That's probably what I'll do for a while. (adding oil, not changing it through a crank seal) I was just curious about the process beyond what's in the manual for when it starts leaking faster. The seal is $20 and if I need a repair sleeve for the pulley it's another $20. Autozone "rents" tools like those needed to remove and reinstall the crank pulley, by which I mean they sell them to me then buy them back. Not too much money in the malibu scheme of things.

Add your comment to this topic!