Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Eight or more....

jcsaleen
05-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Eight cylinders or more for these 4 cars in the top speed showdown.

Mclaren F1 - 12 Held the record for 10 some odd years still world renown for its speed an handling capablities, Also well known for its exclusivity and its pricetag....

Koenigsegg CCR - 8 Same based modular V8 as the ford GT but this ones supercharged :evillol: Recently set the world record.....

TVR Cerebra speed Twelve - 12 not yet tested believed to be uncontrolable with street tires...

Bugatti veyron - 16 Has reached 230 but had problems currently in devolopment....

GForce957
05-08-2005, 11:32 PM
uh the ford GT is supercharged too

NISSANSPDR
05-09-2005, 12:54 AM
Where's the Saleen S7TT, Enzo, Vector?

jcsaleen
05-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Where's the Saleen S7TT, Enzo, Vector?

The S7 TT will most likey be around 220-230 I highly doubt 240+. Enzo is only 217.5 but has recently broke to 228. Vector is a 3 speed auto and has never been reported on the est topspeed of 250.

porscheguy9999
05-09-2005, 04:10 PM
How come I havent heard about the Enzo going 228? Wouldn't Ferrari try to do somthing with that?

Also, this thread has somthing to be desired. Lamborghini Murcielago, Maserati MC-12, Chrysler ME-Four Twelve (I know it was just a concept, but still) are all 10+ cyl.

jcsaleen
05-09-2005, 05:09 PM
How come I havent heard about the Enzo going 228? Wouldn't Ferrari try to do somthing with that?

Also, this thread has somthing to be desired. Lamborghini Murcielago, Maserati MC-12, Chrysler ME-Four Twelve (I know it was just a concept, but still) are all 10+ cyl.

Mc-12 hasnt even been tested yet...

ME-four 12 will never go into production.

& the murcielago is pos that tops out at 206... not even remotly close.

finally look up the enzo new top speed post read your fax it happened at the gumball in nardo.

crayzayjay
05-09-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm sure the 228mph for the Enzo is B.S. There's a difference between what the speedo says and true speed, especially at 200mph+. An Enzo won't get beyond 220mph.

drunken monkey
05-09-2005, 07:46 PM
sorry to be a kill joy
but how is this different to all the other "who will be the fastest" threads?

and.... hahaha.. jcsaleen having a go at someone's "fax"?
a touch hypocritical don't you think?

for the record, the F1 is famously BAD handling at anything near and over 200mph.
whereas a lot of the near 200/200+ supercars these days are steady as a rock set in concrete.

the MC-12 HAS been tested.

also... cerbera speed 12?
all ONE of them?
if you're going to include cars where only ONE was ever made then what about the one in my sig?
what about the VW W12 car? the one that set a endurance speed record.....

VQuick
05-09-2005, 08:15 PM
The Dauer 962 could probably take the cars in the original post. It's pretty old, though.

The Maserati MC12 is basically an Enzo with different styling, more weight, and less power. Fairly obvious that it'll be slower.

I could be wrong, but I think the Elise GT1 tops out at 'only' 195mph.

There are a few Cerbera Speed 12s around, but it's doubful they're driven often. It's even more unlikely that someone would actually take one out for top speed testing. The new Typhon has a better power to weight than an Enzo, but it 'only' has a supercharged I6 and the top speed might not be all that high.

jcsaleen
05-09-2005, 08:28 PM
for the record, the F1 is famously BAD handling at anything near and over 200mph.

whereas a lot of the near 200/200+ supercars these days are steady as a rock set in concrete.

the MC-12 HAS been tested.

When has the Mc-12 been top speed tested?

Famously bad handing at high speeds please state some facts? I have seen 2-3 videos of top end runs of the mclaren and it seem pretty stable no jerking or lurching at all.

jcsaleen
05-09-2005, 08:36 PM
I could include tons of supercars that supposedly have reached 240+ but these are the ones that have the facts down. Also I picked these because there well known. The VW W12 isnt that well known thats why I didnt include it and the enzo and carrera gt etc really arent going to reach those speeds unless modified.

clawhammer
05-09-2005, 09:46 PM
At those high speeds it basically comes down to two things: aerodynamics and horsepower. I voted for the Bugatti because it has 1000 ponies, and I'm sure it will reach speeds close to 250 mph.

pre98zetec
05-10-2005, 07:50 AM
At those high speeds it basically comes down to two things: aerodynamics and horsepower. I voted for the Bugatti because it has 1000 ponies, and I'm sure it will reach speeds close to 250 mph.aerodynamics and horsepower are nothing unless they have the gearing to back it up.

drunken monkey
05-10-2005, 08:18 AM
i) the dauer isn't an old car.
dauer take an original porsche 962 chassis and rebuild it to modern spec, hence the new badge name Dauer 962.

ii) i stand corected on the MC-12; it set some kinda of 'ring record, not a max record.

iii) the final gearing on the elise GT1 is 264 mph.
the last i heard, graham morris was in the process of over hauling the car with the intention of putting it through max speed tests.

iv) with the exception of the race cerbera speed 12s thare was only ever one that got delivered to its customer.

iv) main point of reference, the words of andy wallace, describing the feel of the Zonda S compared to the F1, "the zonda is stable, much more so that the F1". so much so that he felt that he could afford to remove the gurneys on the rear wings to get more speed out of the car. admittedly this wasn't at anything near 240 mph but i don't think removing downforce was something he would've done to the F1.

the reason why the modern cars aren't likely to see those speeds is because they have so much more downforce engineered into them re: the stability issue.
i.e they sacrificed outright top speed for more stability.
the point is, if ferrari and porsche wanted to they can easily make 240+ cars (it;s not like they don't know how) but then how driveable would they be? could you buy and one and drive it out of the factory and blast away like you can in an enzo or carrera gt?
are you going to forget that mclaren had to have 'driving' lessons for people who bought the F1 (once again, lead by andy wallace)?

and before you go on too much about 'modifying' the cars to get top speeds.
the mclaren, while it was stock, had it's limiter removed, does that count?

i like the F1 if anything then because of it being a simple, not really aimed at fat arsed americans but just to make an ulitmate fast car. (hence it being less civilised than an enzo or carrera gt) but to ignore the flaws that are inherent when you aim for no compromise is just being silly.

..wait a minute....
"these are the ones who have the facts down"
but then before
"TVR Cerebra speed Twelve - 12 not yet tested believed to be uncontrolable with street tires..."
does that sound like a fact to you?

anyway.
once again, how is this thread different to all of the other "who is the fastest" threads?

jcsaleen
05-10-2005, 04:59 PM
I know one of the cerebra speed 12's was rumored to be owned by one of the band members of prodigy.

drunken monkey
05-10-2005, 05:31 PM
ru'mour: n. hearsay, common talk, unproved statement.

the rumour was that liam was very interested and had put down a deposit as was the norm for development tvrs.
as far as i know, only one car was ever delivered to it's owner.
this is not rumour.

has anyone ever seen any other cerbera speed 12 (race car not included)?

crayzayjay
05-10-2005, 06:07 PM
iv) main point of reference, the words of andy wallace, describing the feel of the Zonda S compared to the F1, "the zonda is stable, much more so that the F1". so much so that he felt that he could afford to remove the gurneys on the rear wings to get more speed out of the car. admittedly this wasn't at anything near 240 mph but i don't think removing downforce was something he would've done to the F1.

the reason why the modern cars aren't likely to see those speeds is because they have so much more downforce engineered into them re: the stability issue.
i.e they sacrificed outright top speed for more stability.
the point is, if ferrari and porsche wanted to they can easily make 240+ cars (it;s not like they don't know how) but then how driveable would they be? could you buy and one and drive it out of the factory and blast away like you can in an enzo or carrera gt?
are you going to forget that mclaren had to have 'driving' lessons for people who bought the F1 (once again, lead by andy wallace)?

and before you go on too much about 'modifying' the cars to get top speeds.
the mclaren, while it was stock, had it's limiter removed, does that count?

i like the F1 if anything then because of it being a simple, not really aimed at fat arsed americans but just to make an ulitmate fast car. (hence it being less civilised than an enzo or carrera gt) but to ignore the flaws that are inherent when you aim for no compromise is just being silly.

I agree with all of that. Criticising the Enzo & CGT for being slower than the F1 (as Clarkson did, for example) is an incredibly stupid thing to do. Ferrari & Porsche obviously put downforce and high speed stability higher on the priority list than top speed. And rightly so.

Edit:

Cd figures
Koenigsegg CCR: 0.30
McLaren F1: 0.32
Ferrari Enzo: 0.36
McLaren Mercedes SLR: 0.37
Porsche Carrera GT: 0.39

Pagani Zonda F: ??

once again, how is this thread different to all of the other "who is the fastest" threads?
It isn't really, but some interesting facts (and cars) are being raised so we'll keep it open for the time being ;)

drunken monkey
05-10-2005, 06:28 PM
oh yeah.... jay, did you see naseem hamed having crashed his slr?
didn't he wreck an F1 way back when as well?

crayzayjay
05-10-2005, 06:33 PM
http://img235.echo.cx/img235/4808/naseemcrash030505450x3608pv.jpg

http://img235.echo.cx/img235/4936/naz36kg.jpg

http://img235.echo.cx/img235/3691/naz28pv.jpg

The tosser piled into a Golf and fled the scene of the accident while the other driver was trapped in his car :disappoin

I've never heard anything of him crashing an F1 though.

drunken monkey
05-10-2005, 06:56 PM
it might've been some other annoying twat then.... it was quite a while back and it was er... in The Sun...

VQuick
05-10-2005, 08:55 PM
has anyone ever seen any other cerbera speed 12 (race car not included)?

TVR has at least one road car. It's metallic red. Former TVR CEO Peter Wheeler tried to drive it home one night, and turned around after only a few miles. It was just too extreme for the road. Keep in mind Wheeler is not the typical CEO; he often drove Tuscans in a one make series, and was known for throwing heavy objects around the factory when angry. Oh, and he's in his sixties.

drunken monkey
05-10-2005, 09:15 PM
W112 BHG
W312 BFV

jcsaleen
05-10-2005, 09:17 PM
I know that the veyron last topspeed run it clocked 222. Bugatti most likely will mostly attempt to break the record again.

Edit: here we are the run and how it will most likely be limited to 220.

http://www.cbg.ie/article.asp?listMode=review&ID=644

\/ wow

drunken monkey
05-10-2005, 09:23 PM
does that qualify for most reduntant post of the year?

my little edit:
the point being, seeing as being the fastest car is part of the reason for the existance of the massively overpowered veyron, doing a high speed test run in an attempt to break current records is a given.

it equates to me saying something like:
"woo... new plane, they'll probably want to try and make it fly".

Add your comment to this topic!