Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rims Corrosion

PoppyCharlie
05-08-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm having a problem that I don't know what to do about. I have already written to Cadillac, as they have refused to do anything but sandblast and have me pay for it. Here is the problem:
All four rims (on my 2003 DTS) are corroding from within. As a result, the tires are continuously losing air.
Does anyone know anything about this problem, or have any experience with the matter? Please, anything would be helpful.

MagicRat
05-08-2005, 09:56 PM
Uh.....are you sure?
Virtually all Caddys made recently have aluminum rims. Aluminum does not corrode very easily, and, unless you filled the tires with salt water, are especially unlikely to corrode from the inside.

Aluminum rims are notorious for bead leaks, that is, where the tire meets the rim. When tires are installed, it is VERY important that the installation mechanic takes an extra 20 seconds per wheel to place a coating of bead sealer on the rim.

Just ordinary tire mounting lube is often not sufficient.
So take the car to a decent tire dealer, explain the problem and have then re-mount and rebalance all 4 tires with bead sealer.
Make it clear to them that if the tires leak on the bead, you will bring the tire back for them to do again at their cost.

It is unlikely, but possible the rims have a porous casting. A good tire dealer may be able to detect this leak. If this is the case, you should be due new rims under warranty. This is rare, just for one rim. For it to occur to all 4 rims is very unlikely.

So, reinstall all the rims first. Do NOT sandblast them, this would ruin the rims.

free07110
05-09-2005, 09:50 PM
r the rims aftermarket? if so some have corrosion problems around the edges. the edges where the bead mates to need to be cleaned off with a wire brush to break off the corrosion, then your tire dealer needs to put bead sealer around your rim. this is the only way i know to do it or your rims will still leak.

ChvLvr
05-10-2005, 12:52 PM
If the clear coat on the rims is scratched, moisture will start to corrode (happened to my Pontiac Firebird rims), would be cheaper to replace the rims then to have them repaired. Doesn't take long for water to get between the 2 surfaces,especially with centrifugal force constantly in play.

Add your comment to this topic!