Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bass tubes

miata1.6
05-08-2005, 03:17 PM
Could someone tell me what goes into installing a bass tube?

CBFryman
05-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Lmao, forgetabout it. give us a budget and we will give you a good set up. right now the budget sub of choice would be either the Avalanche 12 or Atlas 15 by Ascendant Audio. AA pwnz joo.

but if you really want to know. it is usually a power wire, ground, RCA in's or Hi level in's. for high level ins you usually have to tap into one of your speaker wires.

CBFryman
05-08-2005, 08:21 PM
oh, BTW, that is for internally amped tubes, of it isnt internally amped then you just hook up the amp and then run speaker wire from the amp to the tube.

but like i also said, tubes are crap. they are cheap subs put into carpeted cardboard tubes, yes cardboard. and no, it usually isnt reenforced in any way.

UndercoverPunk
05-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Stop double posting!!! Also don't dump on him right away, he asked about a bass tube, which while it isn't the best thing, it'll probably do for him... Atleast you ended up answering his question.

Also I'd like to put in a formal request for you to stop it with the RE/AA pwnz joo shit... you're not funny

pimprolla112
05-08-2005, 11:58 PM
Hey hes right RE/AA does own, and bass tubes do suck, not entirely made one out of tubing used for a light post and coated it with spray on sound dampener sounded decent but not the best.

ngsm13
05-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Stop double posting!!! Also don't dump on him right away, he asked about a bass tube, which while it isn't the best thing, it'll probably do for him... Atleast you ended up answering his question.

Also I'd like to put in a formal request for you to stop it with the RE/AA pwnz joo shit... you're not funny

Agreed...again...please quit regurgitating stuff that's not yours... :(

And for you CB a definition ;)

3. regurgitate, reproduce -- (repeat after memorization; "For the exam, you must be able to regurgitate the information")

That is all...

NG

Powerefx
05-09-2005, 12:52 AM
Lol y are you guys bagging on CB, he was only trying to help clarify that bass tubes SUCK. YA i said it, theyre not DECENT at all.In other word, there for dumb shits (NOT POINTING ANYFINGERS) that think their enclosure is a bottle of NOS. Get you facts straight first, and then post your opinions.

UndercoverPunk
05-09-2005, 01:06 AM
Because he does this in every thread... While I personally would never find a bass tube to be acceptable, some people just want a simple solution for added lower frequencies to go with their factory system, nothing wrong with that.

Who needs to get their facts straight powerefx? I don't see anyone that's really looking dumb...

ngsm13
05-09-2005, 01:24 AM
Because he does this in every thread... While I personally would never find a bass tube to be acceptable, some people just want a simple solution for added lower frequencies to go with their factory system, nothing wrong with that.

Who needs to get their facts straight powerefx? I don't see anyone that's really looking dumb...

LMAO Jason...

He was the own who "called me a noob" when I first joined here...and he obviously found out later...lmfao that was a good one...right when the RE boner was hitting!

NG

UndercoverPunk
05-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Well, you know I'm a dumbass... my PC is under 50, how could I know ANYTHING with a post count under 50!!!!

PYLE PWNZ JOO!!!

L|_|da
05-09-2005, 12:58 PM
flame war?

but back on topic, bass tubes arent very good @ all. these guys can set you up with a very nice system for your budget. jsut let them know how much you want to spend, and searc hthe forums for information on installign and everything here, its all here you just gotta look.

CBFryman
05-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Id like someone to point out where i regurgitated any of that from anyone... Ive had my fair share of Bass tube experence. to tell you the truth most bass tubes do nothing but add a few dB's in the 40Hz range but it sounds like crap for the most part. especially with high level in tubes.
It was about a month ago a friend with a late 90's Mustang bought a pair of Bazuka bass tubes. im not sure which ones but they where 50w each, sapposeably, poorly designed ports, with high level ins. got both for $175. He had me help him install them, they added a little extra low end to his OEM speakers but it was boomy. He is dissatisfied and took them out last weekend and is now in search of new stuff. I was going to sell him my audiobahns (not that you all care) but the enclosure wouldnt fit with the top down, so oh well.

Powerefx
05-09-2005, 06:06 PM
ng dont throw yourself i want bagging on you anyway, and i believe i recall that Undercoverpunk was on CA forums, and i noe hes not a noob,so i didnt mean for the post to come out as a diss to undercoverpunk. Sorry you misinterpreted it like that NG.Back to the topic, i believe CB has got it on the MARK, bass tubes just add a few db's which most of them turn out sounding like crap. Plus dont mean to put all you tube lovers down, but usually on this forum we try to help others by telling them wut not to buy and saving their money for better stuff.

ponchonutty
05-09-2005, 07:23 PM
OK noobs. Basstubes aren't all that bad. You got to remember that not one system fits everyone's tastes.

Just like any system, you got to start with decent parts and know how to use them. Bazooka is really the only makers I'd shoot for. Fosgate use to have awesome tubs back in the mid 80's but they stopped.

I sell these a lot for people tight on space and for those that like eye candy http://bazooka.com/productAutoPassiveBTsRX.asp

They work great on convertables and other soft tops but you have to know how to mount them. You can't just throw them in and expect them to work like a 15" woofer.

To answer the original question....Depends on the tube. If you have an active tube(one with amp built in) you'll basically hook them up just like an amp. You'll get your signal either from RCA or regular speaker outputs. If you have passive (nonamplified) you'll hook those directly to an amp.

CBFryman
05-09-2005, 07:49 PM
In the Stang which is rag top/drop top we first tried facing forward, then rear then side. Didnt do much changing as far as SPL. the only time i owuld ever use a bass tube is if i bought a car with no audio that was going to be used for say, a track car. but i stil lwanted some tunes, this would also be the only time i would use coaxils and one amp to run my entire system simply for weight reasons. But even still i could have better low end extension from something almost the same size from a budget SQL woofer and a custom sealed fiberglass enclosure... Now im not dissing ALL bass tubes, there are some down firing HT bass tubes that do extend pretty far. and some bass tubes that are actually TL tubes, but they are LONG because they are TL...most too long to fit in a vehicle. but as i have already said, most tubes are unbraced cardboard with weak amps and crappy drivers and they are "ported" but really that port does nothing but cause cancelation and sloppy sound.

ngsm13
05-09-2005, 07:53 PM
cancellation ;)

http://img66.echo.cx/img66/4089/spellingdictionarynazigif0fd.jpg

;)

NG

pimprolla112
05-09-2005, 10:05 PM
Thats exactly what everyone wants a sub that looks like a damn nitrous bottle and sounds like shit. Yeah if you need the space then go for it but you can make a custom enclosure that would fit right behind the wheel well take up hardly any space and sound 10times better.

UndercoverPunk
05-10-2005, 01:50 PM
You mean DIrected doesn't have some schweet ass bass tube???? I'M SHOCKED!

miata1.6
05-10-2005, 04:38 PM
well then,how about some good quality speakers,I would like clean sound with good bass,Im not trying to impress anyone,I just want to have good souning music.and remember it is a MIATA,so there is like no space.

CBFryman
05-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Ascendant Audio Atlas 12" is $100 right now....if they have any left.
AscendantAudio.com
also, RE RE 12 or even 10 or 8. dependong on where you live depends on the price but direct to me an RE 8 was around $40 if i remember correctly. for a slightly more expensive and a lot louder ther is the RE SE never asked for prices except for the 15.

ponchonutty
05-10-2005, 06:06 PM
You mean DIrected doesn't have some schweet ass bass tube???? I'M SHOCKED!
Actually about 8 years ago they did. They only ran them for a short while. Basically, they were like any other decent tube. It didn't go over well because all of us "alarm" shops were already into high end stereos. At that time I was selling about 5 big named companies. People comming to my shop were and are looking for bigger and better things. I only bought one shipment of the tubes then dropped them later on. I think if DEI had them again, the chain stores would go crazy over them.

Yeah, if I were choosing a system, I'd always pick a regular driver setup and not a tube. But, like I said, for some people tubes work for them. Just like the the '34 Ford Roadster I did last week, he went with 2 NOS 8" bottles with a real bottle in the middle of them. I then redid the lables so they all looked the same. It was pretty cool looking. No, it didn't shake the shop but it did have an impressive, farely deep but not overly loud responce. The owner was thrilled.

UndercoverPunk
05-11-2005, 07:35 AM
RE RE anen't exactly sq subs CB, I'd suggest he look for some IDQ's used on ebay and such, the atlas would also be a good bet if they aren't sold out already.

Brandish
05-11-2005, 11:28 PM
OK noobs. Basstubes aren't all that bad. You got to remember that not one system fits everyone's tastes.

Just like any system, you got to start with decent parts and know how to use them. Bazooka is really the only makers I'd shoot for. Fosgate use to have awesome tubs back in the mid 80's but they stopped.

I sell these a lot for people tight on space and for those that like eye candy http://bazooka.com/productAutoPassiveBTsRX.asp

They work great on convertables and other soft tops but you have to know how to mount them. You can't just throw them in and expect them to work like a 15" woofer.

To answer the original question....Depends on the tube. If you have an active tube(one with amp built in) you'll basically hook them up just like an amp. You'll get your signal either from RCA or regular speaker outputs. If you have passive (nonamplified) you'll hook those directly to an amp.
OMFGLMFAO...

NOS8
Nitrous-Oxide inspired Tube Subwoofer MSRP: $299.00
Without question, the wildest and most original subwoofer enclosure design in the history of car audio...

...Or is it Nitrous-Oxide aspired? I almost split a side seeing that... In defense of Bazooka, we did put one of the 8" tubes in a Trans Am back where the T-Tops mount, and I have to admit I was very surprised by it's output.

Add your comment to this topic!