Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Question on exhaust note

clawhammer
05-08-2005, 12:56 PM
I really like the exhaust of an american V8 engine, that just sends chills up and down your spine. I heard this in Mr. Lous' videos. How come that a 4-cylinder Harley can have the same nice, low exhaust note, but my Honda makes a "bzeeee" sounds, no matter what muffler I put on it? Can a 4-cylinder Honda sound like a Camaro?

drftk1d
05-08-2005, 12:59 PM
has to do with number of cylinders, bore/stroke, and the length and shape of the intake/exhaust manifolds

-The Stig-
05-08-2005, 03:25 PM
I really like the exhaust of an american V8 engine, that just sends chills up and down your spine. I heard this in Mr. Lous' videos. How come that a 4-cylinder Harley can have the same nice, low exhaust note, but my Honda makes a "bzeeee" sounds, no matter what muffler I put on it? Can a 4-cylinder Honda sound like a Camaro?

Harley 4 cylinder?

All Harley's are V-twins... 2 cylinder. The reason why they sound 'similar' to an 8 cylinder is the crankshaft design. Both pistons are on the same throw of the crankshaft. They're not on opposite ends like most other motors. That's why a Harley sounds like it's always missing.

Moving on...

Inline-4 motors are generally less than 2.5 liters, 2.7 is the largest 4 cylinder I can think of and that's out of a Toyota Tacoma. Displacement and number of cylinders helps make the sound you like. Mr. Luos's WS6 has 5.7 liters of displacement, along with displacement he's also got large exhaust piping.

The larger the pipe, the deeper the sound. Most Ricer's you see that have the 'beeee' sound are using stock or close to stock size piping which is like 1.75-2" or some shit.

You put 3" exhaust onto a 4 cylinder with a quality muffler it'll sound deeper. But it'll still sound like a 4 cylinder, it's just the way they're designed. They're made to rev-out make their power. A V8 by nature makes it's power with less RPM due to displacement.

Also, Cams... A V8 like Mr. Luos has in his TransAm has a single cam. Which means to make that lumpy idle, he has to have a large cam. Inline 4 motors, usually are DOHC, which means they don't make the loopy idle sound. Especially with the use of Variable cam timing technology like Vtec, VVT-i and all that jazz. They're able to have econocam for around town, and racecam for racing all in one package.

There's alot more to it... but that's the easy answer...

So... to answer your question. Can you make a Inline 4 sound like a v8... No. But you can make an Inline 4 motor sound pretty bitchin, with high-lift, long duration cams and free flowing exhaust.

CivRacer95
05-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Truthfully, once I installed the camshaft in my Civic, that exhaust note changed dramatically. It used to have a low grunt. Like most cars with just I/H/E. But after the install of the camshaft, the exhaust note was much meaner, louder, and more "intimidating" (note the quotes) than before. And during high acceleration, the exhaust just sounded more fierce. I really can't describe it in words. But, really, I can tell you it was a gorgeous sound. Just the sound of it gave me goosebumps and I fell in love with that sound. Once I get the Civ back in action, I will have to get you a vid of what it will sound like :naughty:.

clawhammer
05-08-2005, 06:31 PM
That was a great answer Redneck.

CBFryman
05-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Harley 4 cylinder?

All Harley's are V-twins... 2 cylinder. The reason why they sound 'similar' to an 8 cylinder is the crankshaft design. Both pistons are on the same throw of the crankshaft. They're not on opposite ends like most other motors. That's why a Harley sounds like it's always missing.

I love the sound of harley's V-Twins. Put..put......put..put......put..put.....put..put. ....

Two Cylenders firing one right after the other then 540 degrees of scilence. :evillol:

However. 4cylenders can have a Similar sound to a fucked up chevy small block when. you take the header tubing from cylenders 1 and 4 and combine them and the tubing from 2 and 3 and run dual exaust with 2 3/4" tubing, no cat no muffler. Not exactly like a v8 but it does have a lower growl, what it is doing with performance as far as the funky back pressures is another story :tongue: .

TheStang00
05-08-2005, 09:04 PM
we started up our harley today...

uranium235powered
05-08-2005, 10:20 PM
Just wondering....how do muffler cut-outs sound like? Really loud? Are they even legal nowadays?

drftk1d
05-09-2005, 01:52 AM
no offense to harley lovers but i really hate how they sound.

-The Stig-
05-09-2005, 02:35 AM
I'm not a fan of Harleys myself... I like the way they sound stock. I just hate how ever jackass who has one has to grab a handfull of throttle for every gear and show EVERYBODY his screaming eagle balony cut pipes.

Fuck you asshole!:mad:

Especially when it's 3am and dead quiet and I'm trying to get some sleep... fuckers... makes me want to become a Cop and write em all up for "modified exhaust with no baffles".:evillol:

Drifty
05-09-2005, 10:22 AM
class is dismissed...good bye prof. redneck

Mr. Luos
05-09-2005, 12:29 PM
You like them sounding like this??

http://home.comcast.net/~mrluos/wideopen.wmv

CBFryman
05-09-2005, 04:18 PM
if anyone could get my truck to sound like that i would be very greatful, lol. but a little economy tuned 4cyl will NEER sound like that. but IMO 4cyl performance isnt "muscel" exaust. with 4cyl i like the quite deep monotone that raises to a triumphant roar as you asselerate.

drftk1d
05-09-2005, 04:41 PM
p-port idle > lopey v8 idle.

that ws6 sounded like tinfoil being crumpled at idle.
but was beastly after that.

v10_viper
05-10-2005, 12:22 AM
I'm not a fan of Harleys myself... I like the way they sound stock. I just hate how ever jackass who has one has to grab a handfull of throttle for every gear and show EVERYBODY his screaming eagle balony cut pipes.

Fuck you asshole!:mad:

Especially when it's 3am and dead quiet and I'm trying to get some sleep... fuckers... makes me want to become a Cop and write em all up for "modified exhaust with no baffles".:evillol:

Then you'd hate my dad's Dyna Lowrider custom :evillol:

He has Vance and Hines 2" longshots, very loud pipes, and a hell of a stage 2 performance cam with high flow air cleaner. When he revs it any higher than 3000 rpm and your within 10 feet your ears are ringing, and it'll set car alarms off even if he's a block away at full throttle. I have to say I absolutely love it but there is that point where it gets out of hand, unfortunately for me that'll never happen :biggrin:

CBFryman
05-10-2005, 03:38 PM
^^ :nono: :angryfire :cya:

loud exaust is good, well except for when you are trying to sneak out or it atracks attention from the popo's :dupe: but if you cant even hear you self think if your windows are down and you are revving it in neutral it is out of hand.

RedLightning
05-10-2005, 06:05 PM
^ but if you cant even hear you self think

Oh come on, when you can't hear yourself think you know its almost loud enough...

chevytrucks92
05-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Redneck, GM makes a 2.8L 4-cylinder. Its in the Colorado/Canyon midsizers. Its based off the 4.2L I-6 and 3.5L I-5.

Anyways, nothing beats the sound of a cammed V-8 in my opinion. I just love how every hit sounds like their last! I'll ta, hearing one at WOT from inside and wearing a helmet is pretty sweet!

Add your comment to this topic!