Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

FS: 1982 Diesel Westy - 65K - MINT! (IA)

civil_civics
05-08-2005, 12:08 AM
1982 Vanagon Westfalia 1.6 NA Diesel (translation for non diesel crowd: non-turbo :-) // 4 speed manual transmission // Original white exterior paint, white roof & classic tan/brown striped westy interior. // Paint is in extremely good condition, bordering on mint! // ~65K two owner miles // Engine rebuilt @ ~60K miles – new head (not rebuilt - NEW) complete w/ Raceware headbolts // Vehicle is immaculate – probably one of the nicest OG diesel Westys left anywhere, period. // 30-35mpg // Bus came from Alabama in ’01 – never driven in Midwest winters. Still has most of the OG paint in the wheel wells - NO RUST anywhere! NO seam rust, no rocker rust, no rust anywhere. Did I mention NO RUST?!?!?! lol... (read: PRISTINE coolant pipes underneath....) // Front and rear bumpers are about a 9 out of 10 - all rubber and plastic coners present - bumpers have a very slight bow in each. But still - extremely nice for the type of bumper and year. // All four westy hubcaps (circa: '82) // All camping outlets complete w/ lids // Comes with original sanyo radio (dealer installed I'm guessing) // Comes with all original booklets (owner's manual, camper manual, radio manual, etc.) - also has original purchase agreement (cost as much as a new Corvette in '82!) // Has both tables w/ legs - complete and 100% functional interior to include all curtains, snaps, etc... // No cracks in windshield - all glass in great shape. // "C" rated tires at 90% tread depth (light truck tires I think - new owner should seriously consider upgrading to a "D" rated tire // One key fits all the locks // No dents, never wrecked, clear title, yada yad yada // WARNING: If you've never driven one of these - they accelerate slowly! Not a race car by any means, and certainly a vehicle that can invite the one finger salute from the folks in a hurry...lol. // NO power steering, NO air conditioning, NO cruise control // 1st year of water pumper Type II in U.S. (gas would follow nearly two years later...)

I bought this vehicle in '01 from the original owner's son. It had been garaged (and not driven) for several years while his father declined in health. After his father passed away - the son drove Westy from father's home in northern Alabama to son's home in western North Carolina. On the way - the timing belt went out... (When they say change 'em every 60K, they MEAN it!) Thus, the new head, new timing belt, etc. etc. When I bought the vehicle - I too had the timing reset & new timing belt put on (paranoia I suppose), and Raceware headbolts installed. If you've been around VW diesels for a while - you know those are worth their weight in gold (and almost as expensive! lol) After much thought - I've decided to part ways with "Allie". I have far too many cars for starters, and my taste in diesels has become a little more practical. (Currently, a Golf, Rabbit Pickup and Quantum). My taste in Westys continues - but more along the lines of subhatches. I still have a Vanagon as well - it's my tow vehicle (TIICO). Thus, a real gem just became available for the right buyer. Drive her as is (top speed is 60mph, but it takes a while to get there...slower than my '60 Westy w/ a 40hp in her!) - or better yet - drop in a TDI and really enjoy what this Westy has to offer.

Interesting story about the OG owner. He supposedly bought the first VW sold in Alabama (per son) - a beetle in the first half of the 50's. He was a professor at the U. of Alabama's College of Law in Tuscaloosa. Later, he traded that off for an early 60's Westy (subhatch presumably). By the early 80's, he was retired and his wife really wanted air conditioning. When he came home w/ this Westy (no air, no power steering, etc.) - I guess it nearly cost him his marriage! But my oh my - what economy! And luxury truly is in the eye of the beholder - no better sleep if you ask me than in one of these beasts out on the road. (Van still has U. of Alabama staff parking permit on windshield, and Tuscaloosa dealer tag in back.)

I will be bringing the vehicle out of storage this week and cleaning her up - pictures will follow. I'm considering putting her on ePay, but thought I'd throw this feeler out ahead of time to (potentially) save the hassle of an auction.

Will entertain offers around $8000 (or best offer). I can deliver this vehicle (by driving it) anywhere in the US for $1/mile one way. Vehicle is located in north central Iowa. That's about all I can think of right now - feel free to ask any questions. Thanks for your time (and attention!)

Add your comment to this topic!