Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Just wondering crovette servo?

silveradoking
05-07-2005, 09:40 PM
So I finally got the servo in today.....seems simple...2 metal pieces, 2 bands (1 red, 1 blue), and 2 other black bands......But now....I know that it's not that hard to install...so anyone know a good set of instructions, on how to do this? I bought the servo from some guy on ebay....one of you guys showed me the link......

Jake795
05-09-2005, 10:16 PM
Here's the website I used when I was installing mine. Well I really just played it by ear, but I looked over this site to get idea what to do before I got under the truck. Once you get down there and start working on it, it will come to you what needs to be done. Make sure you clean up under your truck good, b/c if not you will get a lot of crap in your face and eyes. Unbolt the transmission from the crossmember. This will give you more room to work the old servo out and the new servo in. Been a few months since I did mine so I don't exactly remember everything I did, but I hope this information helps.

Jake

silveradoking
05-10-2005, 04:38 PM
you forgot to post the wensite and thanks alot......

Jake795
05-12-2005, 12:02 AM
Heh, sorry for the worthless post. I think i did that one while working with very little sleep. Well anyway if you haven't already installed it, here's the site. http://s-series.org/Sections-index-req-printpage-artid-29.html

silveradoking
05-12-2005, 06:17 PM
I put the servo in a couple days ago, I don't know there is not that much of a differnece, but the truck drive great know......thanks for all your help guys......

BlenderWizard
05-12-2005, 08:14 PM
I put the servo in a couple days ago, I don't know there is not that much of a differnece, but the truck drive great know......thanks for all your help guys......

How hard was it for you to install? Did you have anyone there helping you? How long did it take?

silveradoking
05-13-2005, 06:24 PM
It was very easy, took me a bit longer then normal, I kept getting dirt in my eyes.....If you do it clean the underside very good, or you'll be blind for the next couple days.....

jethro_3
05-14-2005, 08:45 PM
It was very easy, took me a bit longer then normal, I kept getting dirt in my eyes.....If you do it clean the underside very good, or you'll be blind for the next couple days.....

And what is normal? I tried a 12 pack and made 2 spark plugs normal time...

Joke aside estimate how long as that is tommorows job. I already got an under body wash.

BlenderWizard
05-15-2005, 09:08 PM
Ok, take a look at this and tell me, is this the actual Corvette servo, or am I wrong? Everywhere else I looked they were like $30.
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/TH700_R4_4L60E_Corvette_Style_Servo_Piston_p/350-000035952.htm

jethro_3
05-15-2005, 10:36 PM
Blendwizard,

It looks to be the correct metal parts. The o-rings should be RED and blue, don't know if that will make a difference.

Found it hard to get the teflon ring to stay when stabbing the piston back into place. Another note the directions don't really tell you about the second piston activator assembly. Be prepared.....

Good luck.

BlenderWizard
05-15-2005, 10:45 PM
Blendwizard,

It looks to be the correct metal parts. The o-rings should be RED and blue, don't know if that will make a difference.

Found it hard to get the teflon ring to stay when stabbing the piston back into place. Another note the directions don't really tell you about the second piston activator assembly. Be prepared.....

Good luck.

Did you get yours in today, jethro?

jethro_3
05-16-2005, 01:22 AM
Yeh, it took some help not a one person job to get the outer snap ring back in place.

Makes a drastic difference in how hard it shifts. My brother couldn't believe the difference. With the tune and the servo the truck will now peel out in first and chirp in second. If I am not careful it will spin the tires in a corner when I get into it. And I went for a gas mileage tune....

BlenderWizard
05-16-2005, 06:25 AM
Yeh, it took some help not a one person job to get the outer snap ring back in place.

Makes a drastic difference in how hard it shifts. My brother couldn't believe the difference. With the tune and the servo the truck will now peel out in first and chirp in second. If I am not careful it will spin the tires in a corner when I get into it. And I went for a gas mileage tune....

Hey, where did you get your servo? Do you have the AC/Delco part #?

jethro_3
05-16-2005, 07:06 AM
eBay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7973629362&category=33727

email me if you want more info.

BlenderWizard
05-16-2005, 07:11 AM
sent

Nigel215
05-16-2005, 09:28 AM
what exactly does the servo do? and how does it differ from whatever is in their now? i dont know too much about trannys but am willing to learn. Does the servo add power or just protect the tranny from heavy driving?

BlenderWizard
05-16-2005, 12:03 PM
From what I have read, it's more protection than anything. "Right away you'll notice faster and firmer 1-2 and 3-4 shifts. This servo will give your transmission 50% more apply pressure. Just what you need to keep from burning your transmission up under heavy load situations. This servo is easy to install and can be done with the tranny in the vehilce." That is from an item description on ebay

twomorestrokes
05-16-2005, 03:04 PM
eBay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7973629362&category=33727

email me if you want more info.

Thanks for the information. I bought one from eBay today for 15.99/ free shipping. Going to try it in my HD. The off road mags that I read recommended them for heavy towing also, as it reduces band slippage under heavy loads. Hopefully the improvement is what I'm looking for...the price is definitely right.

twomorestrokes
05-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Oh oh...I'm waiting for the servo to get here, and I don't even think my truck has the 4L60E. :screwy: It's a 6.0 HD model and I just assumed it did, but now I'm starting to doubt that it does. Anyone know what trans was hooked to the 6.0 HD? :confused:

jethro_3
05-17-2005, 02:54 PM
You need to go to your dealer and have them list your RPO codes from your vin. That will tell you all your options including the tranny.

twomorestrokes
05-17-2005, 03:14 PM
You need to go to your dealer and have them list your RPO codes from your vin. That will tell you all your options including the tranny.

I've got the VIS sheet from the VIN on my desk. It states "option code MT1- HD 4-SP AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION WITH TOW-HAUL MODE" but there's no servo cover on the passenger side. Not sure what it is. It'll give me an excuse to drop by the dealer I used to work for to say hi.

Looks like I'll have a Vette servo for sale soon.

twomorestrokes
05-17-2005, 03:36 PM
Mine looks like photos of a 4L80E on the web, so the servo I ordered won't work. Spend money foolishly when you ASSume instead of verifying.

silveradoking
05-17-2005, 07:31 PM
The servo will make your shifts shift quicker... People with tunes will usually feel even more firmer shifts, while people without, won't really notice that much of a difference, but you still will feel it a bit. The servo costs around $10-15 beans. In turn, since you will be having quicker shifts, which will create less heat, meaning your transmission willl last longer.

Twomorestrokes, I am almost 100% sure that all Heavy Duty's have the 4L80 transmissions.

If you tow a trailer you should have the servo....

Also, the corvette servo will only work on the 1-2 shift, if you want to reach the 3-4 shifts then you need additional pieces.....

Also the corvette servo is like a "mild" version, meaning that there is a stronger version......you can buy a billet servo, for about $70-90 beans. This servo has 30-40 more appy pressure. I have heard that with this servo, you don't need a shift kit, and people that have added the shift kit with the billet servo, have have really harsh shifts.....I think there necks snapped in half......

Blenderwizard, that's the one.....2 gaskets, 2 o-rings, and 2 servo pieces........4L60 transmission.....and looks like the cheapest place I have saw the servo's selling for.....$9 beans....that's a eggcellent deal.....

BlenderWizard
05-17-2005, 08:05 PM
well, I just paid $18 for mine, which included shipping

twomorestrokes
05-18-2005, 07:25 AM
Twomorestrokes, I am almost 100% sure that all Heavy Duty's have the 4L80 transmissions.

I believe that you are correct concerning the 6.0 HD's like mine. The Big Dogs have the Allison. I'm not looking for a real harsh shift as this HD is by no means a street racer. I just like firmer shifts like it does in the tow/ haul mode. I'd leave that on if it weren't for the 4.10's already sucking the gas down. :cwm27:

Jake795
05-18-2005, 02:01 PM
jethro, You mentioned that you got the gas milage tune. How much difference did you notice in fuel milage? I'm desperate for more milage in my truck. When I changed my tires I went from 18mpg to 13 and now i'm trying to get those miles back.

Jake

benzero
07-12-2005, 10:59 AM
so im thinking about this. those directions in the link are VERY confusing. how hard of an install is this giong to be and what tools would i need? ordered my servo from ebay today with the longer pin.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7985380497&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

somebody please tell me this is the right one.

jethro_3
07-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Jake 795, I gained 2 + mpg.

Benzero, You need no special tools. Another person to help remove some of the snap rings and get the snap rings back in is helpful. let the cats cool off or your hand will feel the heat.

Good luck

twomorestrokes
07-12-2005, 12:01 PM
Don't know if anyone's interested, but I have a new Vette servo that I bought on eBay that I'm not going to use. (My truck has a 4L80E...duh)Made in USA aftermarket. Never even opened the box. I paid 15.00. I'll sell it for that, shipping included.

benzero
07-12-2005, 12:34 PM
dammit, i wish you had made that post an hour earlier.

twomorestrokes
07-12-2005, 12:47 PM
dammit, i wish you had made that post an hour earlier.

Sorry. I would have taken offers back in May when I realized I had bought it by mistake. (scroll up) I had forgotten all about it until I was alerted via email that someone had added a post to this thread.

Anyone else interested?

BlenderWizard
07-12-2005, 02:27 PM
here's a real good how to:
http://www.gmfullsize.com/Tech%20Page/VetteServoTech.html
it's much less complicated than it seems before installing it

benzero
07-13-2005, 01:36 PM
cool, well it shipped out today. next weekend's project im sure. exhaust and intake are this weekend.

spudglo08
07-13-2005, 10:14 PM
All 3/4 tons and bigger have the HD 4l80e un less it has a duramax or an 8.1L big block

spudglo08
07-13-2005, 10:15 PM
If you have one of those it is possible you have the Allison 5 speed

jethro_3
07-14-2005, 12:11 AM
If you are doing the exhaust wait until you have the servo, it will go in easier if the cats are out of the way.

benzero
07-14-2005, 07:31 AM
cool. i think they will both be here friday. that's a good idea.

benzero
07-17-2005, 05:41 PM
got it all in. the servo was easy, but the snap rings are fucking hell.

Add your comment to this topic!