wtf does the Intake Resonator do?

Tylerc161
05-07-2005, 01:06 AM
i was reading therob.com and he took it out. i considered doing it, but i figured it was there for a reason. but now, with it out, my car is a little louder (which i like), and a little more responsive it seems. like, 3000rpm plus, its faster. anyways, whats the concept behind it? whats it supposed to do?

mysatilac
05-07-2005, 01:53 AM
It is supposed to quite the intake sound,
Yes it takes away HP, (like <1-2) b/c it slows intake, think of your intake like a vaccum and that as extra air that it has to suck out/turn into a vaccum before it gets to external air,
I had mine off till I got real intake, leaving the hole that it was connected to the filter box by open is like ghetto intake, (you dont bypass the filter, so its OK. If you dont like this idea, I was told that a milk jug cap fits the hole just right,

IMO Take/Leave it off if you want a slight increase, no harm done.

If your radiator hose is close to your intake filter box, check to make sure the mounting pieces from the resonator aren't too close, if they are, its recommended that you clip them off to prevent the radiator hose from rubbing against them, that person may have been overly cautious, I didn't find it necessary on mine

Tylerc161
05-07-2005, 01:05 PM
yea, i took mine off last night. i read on a website it makes it a little louder and might increase HP a bit. i like the increased sound, sound better above 3k rpm mainly.. but anyways, today, i cut back the intake tube(that goes into the filter box, from the outside) so its about only a inch long inside the housing. i am reseting my PCM right now, and as soon as my engine cools down, im going to bore my throttle body. I am really hoping all this work will pay off. Im calling around right now considering just going and buying a new air filter. The cone type. So i can get rid of that box completely. I am going to leave the stock hosing tho, because i want to make my own electric supercharger. I was looking at hobby shopps, and i am going to get a magnum 32000 RPM 12v motor, and then this seperate 3inch 5 spoke fan blade thing.. but since i will need to put that inside my tubing, or in a gap somewhere, thats why im not going for a full intake. because putting that supercharger on a intake thats got metal chrome tubing, would be really difficult. lol. anyways, thanks for the info man. you rock.

mysatilac
05-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Thanks, :biggrin:
I had the removed resonator (intake silencer), and the bored TB, made a good enough difference to be worth it,

That work should pay off, I've only heard bad things about the electric supercharger though,
If you go to the forced induction forum (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1199), or this search for electric supercharger (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=937386)
You'll see that the main arguement is that despite the flow (CFM) of the "fan" its the pressure that it produces (or doesn't produce in this case) that makes the difference. And that many of these actually cause a restriction in the system, I know I've thought about doing it, but haven't tried it, but from what I hear its a waste of time and money.

If you insist on doing this mod...Then please let us know your results

After much more reading, there are some people who swear by them (mostly people selling/manufacturing them, not saying this changes there claims), and alot of other people who throw physics at it, I'm undecided, they both make good points, so let us know your findings,

Tylerc161
05-08-2005, 07:12 PM
do you think if i took the intake resonator, and cut the top part off a bit, that since its right under the hood it would act like a ram air kind of device? i just thought about that. all that air rushing at the hood, if it went into the resonator, and into the filter box if it would make a difference.

sierrap615
05-09-2005, 12:22 AM
no, maybe if you cut a hole in the hood, but even then you won't get the full effect.

mysatilac
05-09-2005, 12:55 AM
I say its worth a try since you're going to throw out the silencer anyway, I dont see how its much different than having it removed,

I agree probably wont help much/at all, but all you have to lose is time,

koolkash_45
06-03-2005, 12:56 PM
Where is the intake resonator located and what is the extent of getting it off.

mysatilac
06-03-2005, 02:03 PM
it is attatched to the intake filter box it comes off the box and sits behind the radiatior,
It is very simple to remove there are two plastic clips that hold it in place that attatch to the flat metal piece above the radiator (the term elludes me),
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/500/278444Image_836_.jpg

Green Arrow = Plastic clip

Red Circle = The Resonator

sierrap615
06-03-2005, 02:11 PM
except on 91-94 S-series, where the resonator is a molded part of the intake tubing, underneth it instead of on the side, on 91-94s there is a peice on the side on the air box, but it serves a different propose. remove the resonator on 91-94 involves cuting the tube then pluging the hole.

koolkash_45
06-04-2005, 11:07 AM
i have a 92 sc so to remove this piece would i need to remove the intake tubing to cut this off or will i be able to manuver (spell check) around it. Is all this work enough of a gain to be worth it?

Tylerc161
06-05-2005, 12:20 PM
If you've got the time. its really no big hassle. Not like boring a TB at least. that takes forever and a half. It really adds a nice rumble sound. and it only helps power, it dosent decrease it. If i were you, id do it. you wont be dissatisfied

mysatilac
06-05-2005, 03:06 PM
boring a TB takes forever and a half.

:1:

Yeah, as mentioned before, all you've got to lose it time (and a resonator), and you can gain HP and better sound

sierrap615
06-06-2005, 12:39 AM
just found out a mouse was storing seeds in my stock intake for the winter.

with the right tools and a little skill and knowhow it wouldn't take long. granted its not as easy as the 95+ verson. don't expect anything noticible for preformance. you would need a srcewdriver to remove the intake from the throttle body, then something to cut the resonator off(its plastic), then something to plug it and seal the hole.

Not like boring a TB at least. that takes forever and a half.

not with air tools.... :biggrin:

mysatilac
06-06-2005, 05:55 PM
not with air tools.... :biggrin:

:grinno:
Yeah forever... With my 3HP 2 Gallon Tank compressor...

Works for about a minute before it doesn't have the pressure to stay up to speed, :rolleyes:

I have the buyers remorse...

Tylerc161
06-07-2005, 12:23 PM
well, i tried using a dremmel with the stock sand paper like piece it comes with to sand this thing down with.. that didnt work too well.. so i went and bought a metal removing piece for the dremmel, thing was, it was really narrow, and if you didnt have it exactly up and down, you would only shave off lines about the size of a pen writing.. so i ended up using 60grit sand paper or something.. took me a period of 3 days, and it dosent look near as good as the ones for sale online.. but it works

mysatilac
06-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Just a tip,

Wrap a generous amount of sandpaper tightly around a drill bit, and have at it,
If you wrapped several layers then after a few minutes remove a layer and its like new,

This works better for the finishing process,

My dremel with the sanding drum worked ok
But the air die grinder worked best and I bought 20 grinding stones/bits for $10, so they were cheap and I went through them pretty quickly

sierrap615
06-08-2005, 12:55 AM
maybe the three of us should buy a lathe...

Tylerc161
06-08-2005, 12:32 PM
thats actualy a good idea.. lol.. then we can charge for it.. well, i live in kansas. can you get any closer to being in the middle of shipping to everyone in the US? lol.

Add your comment to this topic!