Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Truck Cuts out at speed!!

weatherbee937
05-06-2005, 10:15 PM
got an 2001 chev 1500 5.3. Used to have a problem with it quiting on me and not starting and sometimes in the morning i would go to start it and it would not start. Eventually it didn't start and i had to take it to the dealership adn got the fuel pump replaced which set me back huge. Not i am a month down the road and once the truck gets warm it will stall on me. I will drive down the road and go to pass sombody and the truck will drop down a gear adn stall. I will put it into neutral and it will start up after a couple of seconds. It only does this at higher rpms and when it has been running for a bit. If it doesn't stall at high rpms then it just surges really bad before shifting. I went out 4x4ing the other day and got stuff twice in the mud because i would get in and start to spin then stall. I ahve no idea what is going on and the dealer doesn't sound so sure either. Does anyone have any idea of what is wrong. Also my computer doesn't read any coads or data stored either.
thanks
Chris

jethro_3
05-06-2005, 10:40 PM
When was the last fuel filter? The one in the frame under the driverside. What is the mileage?

weatherbee937
05-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Probably about 5000km's ago. But that was probably a stock one and it has 165000 kms on the truck

weatherbee937
05-07-2005, 11:12 PM
bump

kenny-1907
05-07-2005, 11:45 PM
I wonder if you are expierencing the problem that some are having with the fuel pump wires overheating. Basically causing the same problems. Just a thought.

weatherbee937
05-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Sounds like something. I wonder how i would find that out?. Also what do you think about maybe my injectors needing cleaned or something. I read somewhere that the injectors on that year of truck can be bad. Also i went to leave this morning and it took a long time to start, i would turn it over and it wouldn't start until a few trys later. Any more suggestions
thanks

Bill-SILV
05-08-2005, 09:45 PM
My Buddy and myself had a similar problem and the Fuel pressure regulator fixed both of our trucks for the same problems. Mainly it was the truck would have difficulty starting after it had warmed up and if you let the truck sit for about an hour it would be fine. But we changed the regulators on our trucks and it was fixed. Funny that same day I traded mine in for a newer one.

weatherbee937
05-09-2005, 06:36 PM
THe weird thing with is that it won't start after sitting for a while. It doesn't start when it's cold and stall driving when it's warm.

silveradoking
05-09-2005, 09:05 PM
I had the same problem on my truck.....I hooked it up to the computer....and it came out that the cam position sensor was the culprit...... I know of some other guys that were experienced the same problems, and no codes came out, they changed the sensor and it fixed the problem no problem......

silveradoking
05-09-2005, 09:11 PM
Forgot to mention that it cost about 200 beans canadian.....

weatherbee937
05-09-2005, 11:33 PM
Hey thanks i am gonna see about that

silveradoking
05-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Yah, cheak it out.....let us know what happens....

Raven2
05-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Ok
I had the fuel pump problem, and I had to change it out, like you said, not cheap.

when my pump went, other things started acting wierd as well. Ampmeter and fuel gauge both went "stupid".

If you see any "electrical issues popping up, get your money back on the pump, and get another.
Hope that helps.

silveradoking
05-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Just so you know, when I started having these problems, I took it to a mechanic, and there were no codes......long story short, he started telling me that the fuel pump was not good....there was not enough pressure....then the next day he told me, plugs.....ANd then I started fighting with him....he had kept my truck, for 2weeks, and still didn't fix it, since i had a extra key, I came out at night and just drove it away....I then took it to another mechanic, who was about 50 kilometres away, and I had 2 pay $200 beans for the towing...but this mec hooked it up and got the code pulled and it came out that the sensor was bad......So anywho.....

weatherbee937
05-10-2005, 11:04 PM
Thanks i think i am gonan take it in now and mention that cam position sensor. and i am also worried about the fuel pump again because sometimes in teh morning now i have to prime it to get the truck running. The only reason i am holding off taking it to the dealer is that they aren't going to be able to see the problem because it only does it after quite sometime of driving. so i am just scared of the diagnostics bill

Add your comment to this topic!