Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Chevy Astro with Starter Problems

da0acer0
05-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Hey Everyone,

So today my friend asks me if I could replace a starter in his moms car (a 1999 Chevy Astro), he told me it wouldnt start and AAA had it checked out and said that the Starter was fried (AND they estimate dthe cost of replacement at being around $800), so im assuimng that to fix the probem you would have to get a new starter, now is it hard to install a starter on a chevy astro? is there a website with diagrams so i know what i am replacing and where in the engine compartment i should be able to find this...any help would be appreciated!

thanks

CD Smalley
05-07-2005, 07:30 AM
It's very easy. I just did it earlier this week on my 95.

First step is to disconnect the battery.

Then there are three wires that attach to the solenoid on top of the starter in two different places. The larger of the connections will have two wires that attach to it. Remove this one first and leave the smaller one alone for now.

Next there are two bolts that hold the start itself in place. The bolt heads face directly down and are very easy to see. Remove these carefully. Be sure to hold the starter in place when you remove the last bolt. Now gently bring the starter down and remove the last electrical connection. Install of new starter is done in reverse. My new starter was less than $100USD, not including a core charge. It took me less than 30 minutes perform. Probably the only thing that is easy to change out on the Astro/Safari.

Add your comment to this topic!