Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 Classic fuel system from HELL

RedRoverRedRover
05-06-2005, 01:44 AM
Please let me play something by you.

1. 91 RR. 135,000 Runs good. Drove 4 hours last week in one stint. Nothing strange. Parked car.
2. Two days later car will not start.
3. Checked the spark to plugs
4. Checked the Gas
5. Checked the fuse to fuel pump
6. Now this is odd - Checked the Fuel pump – getting 5.4 volts from each of two leads to the pump.
a. Removed pump
b. Removed pump motor (being a genius, thinking that certainly it would be the brushes in the motor.)
c. Tested it just for kicks on the 12 volt battery. Runs great.
d. Reassemble and re-test pump.
e. Clear all hoses
f. Install in truck
g. Check hoses to fuel filter.
h. Replace fuel filter.
7. Turn the key on and not sound of a pump and nothing out of the pump.
8. Crank the starter no sound of a pump and nothing out of the pump.
9. Check all leads and connections to coil.
10. Checked the spark to plugs
11. Checked the Switched relays on the passenger side.
12. Checked the rollover switch and wires to it under the driver’s seat.
13. Threw my tools all over and screamed.

You got any ideas?
How much DC should be getting to the pump?

I’m stuck.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Joseph Cook

landorhope
05-07-2005, 08:30 AM
Hi Joseph
Would you believe I am going through a similar episode, 91 RR 92K miles runs excellent, park in garage, week later will not run.
1.Checked out ignition
2 fitted new plug leads
3 fited new rotor arm
4 fitted new dist cap
5. Fitted new ignition amplifier
6 checked TDC on number 1 and position of rotor arm relative to number one plug lead all ok
7. Checked ht ignition pulse to all cylinders all ok.
8. Plugs are wet with gas so in my case fuel is geting through but will not start.
So i think we chasing a similar problem, is there any measurements I can check on my RR to confirm your problem or help you out.
Alan Landor-Hope

Please let me play something by you.

1. 91 RR. 135,000 Runs good. Drove 4 hours last week in one stint. Nothing strange. Parked car.
2. Two days later car will not start.
3. Checked the spark to plugs
4. Checked the Gas
5. Checked the fuse to fuel pump
6. Now this is odd - Checked the Fuel pump – getting 5.4 volts from each of two leads to the pump.
a. Removed pump
b. Removed pump motor (being a genius, thinking that certainly it would be the brushes in the motor.)
c. Tested it just for kicks on the 12 volt battery. Runs great.
d. Reassemble and re-test pump.
e. Clear all hoses
f. Install in truck
g. Check hoses to fuel filter.
h. Replace fuel filter.
7. Turn the key on and not sound of a pump and nothing out of the pump.
8. Crank the starter no sound of a pump and nothing out of the pump.
9. Check all leads and connections to coil.
10. Checked the spark to plugs
11. Checked the Switched relays on the passenger side.
12. Checked the rollover switch and wires to it under the driver’s seat.
13. Threw my tools all over and screamed.

You got any ideas?
How much DC should be getting to the pump?

I’m stuck.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Joseph Cook

RedRoverRedRover
05-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Thank you for your response.

Sorry to hear about your Rover.

I'm wondering what the voltages should be at the pump:
1. ignition off
2. ignition on (pump starts and builds pressure)

I'm going to check out a few things now and see if I can confirm anything.

I'll let you know.

landorhope
05-08-2005, 05:54 AM
Hi Joseph
Your fuel pump should show 12 volts, when the ignition is on and the inertia switch is closed. I need to look round the fuel injection system starting today. I now am satisfied that the ignition system is OK. I really cannot believe that the RR was perfect last week and after arriving home it decided to die all on its own. The only job I did that week was to fit new distributor cap, rotor arm, ignition leads. They did need a change before the next long trip, so I have been locked into an ignition problem for a few days. yesterday I went through that with a fine tooth combe and found nothing untoward. So its the fuel injection system for the next few days.
What ignition timing order are you using? I have a Haynes Manual which quotes 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2 also looking at the engine block from the radiator the right hand cylinder bank is numbered 1,3,5,7 hence the left is 2,4,6,8 do you agree?
Right its time for the garage session.
bi for now
Alan

RedRoverRedRover
05-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Hi Joseph
What ignition timing order are you using? I have a Haynes Manual which quotes 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2 also looking at the engine block from the radiator the right hand cylinder bank is numbered 1,3,5,7 hence the left is 2,4,6,8 do you agree?
Right its time for the garage session.
bi for now
Alan

That's what I have also.

landorhope
05-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Hi Joseph
Spent the afternoon going through a number of test's on the fuel injection system, every test I have carried out does not show any faults. I cannot believe this.
I had to remove the ECU from under the right hand seat, that was a fiddle on its own. just to make it accessible for testing at the connector and to push the shroud back on the multiplug so I could insert test leads but if you do want to test from the multiplug you do need to do this job first.
Have you carried out tests from the multiplug located on the ECU?

If you have what reading do you have for the check from pin 27 to pin 5?

Do you have a cat or none cat version?
i would like to suggest following the Haynes manual section 13.37 para 107 through to 133 and post the results on this page so we can go through them together.

regards
Alan

landorhope
05-20-2005, 05:45 PM
Hi Joseph
Spent the afternoon going through a number of test's on the fuel injection system, every test I have carried out does not show any faults. I cannot believe this.
I had to remove the ECU from under the right hand seat, that was a fiddle on its own. just to make it accessible for testing at the connector and to push the shroud back on the multiplug so I could insert test leads but if you do want to test from the multiplug you do need to do this job first.
Have you carried out tests from the multiplug located on the ECU?

If you have what reading do you have for the check from pin 27 to pin 5?

Do you have a cat or none cat version?
i would like to suggest following the Haynes manual section 13.37 para 107 through to 133 and post the results on this page so we can go through them together.

regards
Alan[/QUOTE]

landorhope
05-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Hi Joseph, what happened, not seen any feedback since my last posted message, did you sort the problem?
I found my fault all is well and runnng good, faulty new parts.
Alan

Add your comment to this topic!