Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Question about diesel engine

Deacon328
05-05-2005, 06:01 PM
First if I offend any Mercedes Benz purists I apologize.

I am designing a really weird project. My goal is to build an environmentally friendly chopper. Why am I posting here you ask? Simple.

MB made some of the best diesel engines out there. What I would like to know is:

What would be the best diesel engine from the 50's or 60's (less emissions) that would still have parts available.

What I plan on doing is making a chopper frame that houses the MB diesel engine with a modified Boss Hoss type drive axle. Then install a veggie oil conversion kit. Next thing you know I'll have a veggie oil powered MD diesel chopper. Sounds easy but it's going to take a couple years because I'm poor!

Anyway what engine would be good, don't worry about HP because even if it were a complete toad in the car, after you lighten the vehicle weight by about 1000 pounds even a diesel might show some spunk!

The more simple the better, compact too!

Deacon

podunk
05-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Well Deacon, The fact that you are on a mission to put something where it don't belong to make the world a better place says that your the kinda car guy that this world needs, we have much in common. The purist can have their world, we can have ours. :biggrin:

To answer your question Mb made lots of good diesels, just about any one that you pick with Mb stampped on it pryor to 1985 was built to last, with no problems and low maintainance. older 300 D models have a smaller 4 cylinder diesel, some of these have turbo, I am a big fan of the inline 5 cylinder turbo, although a bit heavier than the 4 cyl. The 5 cyl turbo aint no dawg they have monster torque and can propell the 5,000 LB. 300SD land behemith at suprizing exceleration for their small cid displacement. Ihave seen these engines in wrecking yards running from $500 and up.
Good luck in your unique quest
keep us posted, your progress raises my interest :smokin:

Tame lad
05-16-2005, 08:20 AM
You kight also try the 240D (prior to 1985). It's a 4 cyl unit and was actually tested locally running on vegetable oil (sunflower oil). It came to no harm, so I have every reason to believe your idea will work.:loser:

Add your comment to this topic!