Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine Swaps

wind_dude
05-05-2005, 05:10 PM
I know there have been a lot of posts about this, and some angry people.

My 7M-GE is running realy rough(just bought it for cheap), and I'm not the biggest fan of Imports but like th body styling of the supra(mine is an 87) I want to replace the engine with something bigger, maybe domestic. I read in a previous post that a 1ZU? is an option. What vehicle is this engine from, are all the mounts the same, same flywheel patern and such, would i esentialy be able to drop it in? Someone also told me that the Tacoma engine uses the smae mount patern is this true?
Or if anyone has dropped in a domestic, or has any Info on it let me know, It would help out.

TcmaBoy
05-05-2005, 08:50 PM
You can swap in a 7MGTE which is the turbo version of the engine you have. That is where the direct swap ends. The 1JZGTE is close to a drop in swap. It is a 2.5L twin turbo I6 that was available in JDM Supras. You would have to change to a 90 or newer front subframe to accomodate the motor mounts. You could go the with the 2JZGTE, but they are expensive and require a fair amount of work. The 1UZ is a 4L V8 found in the Lexus line of cars. Any of the cars with a 400 in the model should have one. I haven't seen anything on the swap, but it seems to be a good way to go if you are not afraid of the custom work required, or if you have the money to pay a shop to do it for you. As far as the Tacoma engine it is the same type of mount found on your 87. I am not sure if the brakets are the same bolt patern on the engine block. They are definatly not the same on the frame side. I took some rough measurements off of my truck. I have the 5VZFE which is the 3.4L V6. I think it might fit. It would be a tight squeeze. The problem would be the oil pan. It is deep. That makes for a tall engine. That means to mount it you would have to mount it low. The 4WD model has a cut out in the sump for the front diff. This might fit over the rear bar on the front subframe. If so then you should be able to get it deep enough to clear the hood. Then you have to worry about the exaust manifolds clearing the rails that run down each side of the engine bay. It would be tight, but it might fit. I wouldn't recomend it. The V6 only puts out somthing like 190 HP with 210 Ft lbs of torque. It dosen't go up much from there. I went the 1JZ route. For cheap and easy the 7MGTE is the way to go. The 1JZ is the middle man. The 1UZ would be cool if you are up to the work. It shouldn't be too hard to find. Certianly easier than finding a 2JZ.

wind_dude
05-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Thanks for you're advice, I just don't think the 7M-GTE or 1JZ give me the power I want for the cost.
I've been looking at differnt engines, and have a couple questions. Will the 1UZ physicaly fit in the engine bay or do inner fenders need to be modified, suspension moved? What transmision is used?
Do you know the Hp or dimensions of the 4.7l V8 used in tacomas or tundras?
If the same amount of work is required to put in a domestic engine, why are people so against them?

TcmaBoy
05-07-2005, 11:13 AM
For the most part it is just an ignorant rivalry. There are pros and cons to domestic V8s. The biggest con is that they are still 2 valve pushrod motors. The The toyota engines are nice overhead cam motors. It makes them more efficient. You can get more power per cube. Its hard to find parts though. The biggest pro for the domestics is that they are cheap. The Chevy small block comes in evrery shape and size you can imagine for not a lot of cash. If you go domestic try using a LS1. That way you don't pay the weight penalty that comes with a cast iron V8. Plus there are plenty of parts for it. Finding a wrecked Z28 or SS Camaro shouldn't be hard.

wind_dude
05-19-2005, 11:17 AM
I've been looking at differnt options some more, and the weather is finaly warm enough to get outside and work. What Transmision do you sugest using with the 1JZGTE? What horsepower range caqn you get out of these engines, with what mods?

DRIFTER-XL
07-22-2005, 02:23 PM
hey whats up i recently own a 1991 toyota supra turbo and 2 days ago i blew my second motor alot of people say thoso motors came out very defected. so nom im going with the soarer`s 1jz-gtte vvt-i. can anyone tell me what they red line @ or the amount of boost the turbo`s have from the 1jz-gtte thanks 4 any tips

jamc1423
08-24-2005, 02:53 AM
for everyone out there the 1jz gte (which is both single and twin turbo) can be a hell of an engine. The main problem with them is avalibilty, but if you can get your hands on one get it because the stock bottom end from the factory was still under warenty up to 800 hp

Chevelle396
08-26-2005, 06:17 PM
is the coding different for single vs. twin turbo 2jZ's. ex:2jZ-Gte, 2jZ-Gtte, and is the variable valve timing 2jZ better that the non?(stupid question i know but i'm curious)

TcmaBoy
08-27-2005, 12:43 PM
No, the engine codes are as follows: 2JZGTE is the turbo model 2JZGE is the NA model. There are only twin turbo 2JZs as far as i know. The 1JZ came in twin turbo configuration in older models. In the late 90s it came in a single turbo with VVTi config. If you are getting an engine to modify then I would go with a non VVTi engine. VVTi is nice, but you won't be able to find cams or vavle train upgrades. You would have to end up ditching it anyway.

DataSpy
09-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Hello, I had a question and didn't want to start another thread. I have an 88 supra non turbo 7mge engine. I just wanted to make sure it was possible to swap a 1JZGTE into it? Any help greatly appretiated, thanx in advance!

Justinjj727
10-09-2005, 02:03 AM
the 1jz is a stout motor. 280hp. easily in the 300's with intake and exhaust. i've seen 330-350 with those mods.
Dataspy you can swap it in your car but you will need the 1jz tranny as well along with the 90-92 front sub frame as stated above.

PpDdAiDdDdYy
04-10-2006, 01:03 PM
Exactly how much work is involve in putting a 2JZ-GTTE into a MK3 Supra?

How much cheaper less would it cost to just go with a 1JZ-GTTE OR GTE?

mzdafrk
08-09-2006, 09:50 PM
first off the 7mgte is quite capable of making 550whp, or more of really get into it. the 1J is a great motor, but you lose displacement, but you gain rpms. The 2j is a very cool motor as well, but very expensive.

All the engines are good, if you are having a problem with your motors, I would say you probably turned up the boost a little to much. Start with HKS HG, ARP bolts, a nice open exhaust, turbo it up to 15 lbs, on the stock CT26, and let r rip to the note of around 350hp and tourque. if that is not enough power, look into turbo upgrade, fuel system upgrade, ecu upgrade, brakes, suspension, built head, custom cams, and about $10,000.

The 1J, is not as expensive as the 2J, but it still isnt cheap. also parts are not easy to find for the supras. It is not that they are difficult to find, they just are not easy, most wrecking yards don't have many parts for the MKIII's. So you are left with Forums, the dealer, or aftermarket. all of which can be expensive.

Don't bother with the 2j if you are asking about it. It is one of those things that you would probably have exceeded the limits of the stock engine, and learned from it enough, to know what is involved with the 2j, let alone the engines cost thousands of dollars. I have seen it done, it's cool, but not worth the money if you ask me.

hope that helps.

kachok25
08-31-2006, 03:46 PM
Will the 4.0 V8 bolt up to a supra six speed tranny??? If so that would be awsome.

TcmaBoy
08-31-2006, 10:45 PM
I am not sure which tranney they use, but the 1UZ and 3UZ will fit in MK IIs and MK IIIs.

DRAGONRACER76
08-11-2009, 11:14 AM
I've seen a 1UZ swap done where the guy used a ford c4 tranny with a adapter plate sourced from a company out in australia. seems that setup is popular down there. don't remember the name of the company though..:banghead:

ese951
09-08-2009, 11:26 PM
I've seen a 1UZ swap done where the guy used a ford c4 tranny with a adapter plate sourced from a company out in australia. seems that setup is popular down there. don't remember the name of the company though..:banghead:

if your looking for something to really build on, and have the budget for it, i would go with the 2JZ-GTTE:)... I've heard many times that converting the twin turbo to a single turbo, 9 times out of 10 you'll get alot more horse power

suprakid14
10-13-2010, 06:51 PM
How's it going, guys? Well, I'm new here, as well as the mod world in general. About 2 years ago, I bought a 1990 Supra base model wrecked. Over the two years I got it fixed, painted, and was about to fix the engine when I found a turbo engine without the car for sale with a cheap price tag so I jumped on it. It came with most of the parts needed and my Dad and I are doing our best to install them, but we found a snag. We've got no idea where the intercooler goes. We figured in front of or below the radiator but that doesn't seem possible due to so much being in the way. Any advice???

Add your comment to this topic!