Excessive Cranking, Engine Failure

BigCity
05-05-2005, 03:08 PM
Hi All,

My 1999 Rodeo 3.2 V6 is having an un-diagnosable problem. She suffers from excessive cranking and the engine occasionally shuts down. These problems happen at seemingly random times, but it seems warm weather increases the problems. I took it in back in November for these problems and excessive pinging. The dealer replaced fuel pump and filter (about $600) and everything was fine for awhile.

The engine shut down only happened once a few months ago and was never a problem again until the other night when I drove out of town on the expressway and it shut down three times and was difficult to start. I paid $100 to tow to nearest city that had a Honda Dealership. They could not find error codes and it started after they used jumper cables. They could not get it to fail or have excessive cranking ( I suggested they let it warm awhile and they drove it 77 miles). $180 bucks down the drain I still don't have a clue.

I read the FAQs concerning the fuel pressure regulator and mass air sensor but cannot tell which might be the problem, if either.

Also the Honda people said that, according to corrosion on fuel pump, that it is unlikely they changed the pump in November and they definitely did not change fuel filter. Would an Isuzu dealer be that dishonest??

I really want to keep my Rodeo but cannot afford too much repair work (small business owner, here) and the Honda people said I should dump the Rodeo.

Thanks!

amigo-2k
05-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Sounds like the fuel pressure regulator to me (the part is under 60 bucks or so and is a DIY job; see the FAQ's).

OR a wire that is shorting out (I think there is mention or it in the FAQ's).

here is a link to the elctrical problems:

http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/#faq61

Add your comment to this topic!