Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil Pressure Drop Van Cuts Off

antwan5
05-05-2005, 09:00 AM
I Have A 1990 Lumina Apv & Had It In The Shop 3 Days & He Said That When The Oil Pressure Drop The Van Cuts Off Can Some One Help Me?

jeffcoslacker
05-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Will cut off when no oil pressure is registered. A faulty oil pressure sensor can cause it to happen when it shouldn't.

meistermind
05-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Jeffcoslacker is correct. Shutting offf the motor when there is very low to no oil pressure is mostly a safety feature. The idea is if you get into an accident, your knocked out and your car dies,.....then the fuel pump won't continue to spray gas onto a hot engine through a potentially ruptured line. Different manufactures accomplish this in various ways, but GM typically momnitors the oil pressure switch.

Its funny, cause Ford used the accelerometer sensor in the back trunk space of a lot of vehicles. It would trip if the car got hit hard enough (like in an accident), and had a push button to reset it if so. There have been articles on how thugs used to come up behind these cars with old people or women in them. If no one was around they would hit the victims car with their bumper, just hard enough to trip the switch and kill the car. I actually had some old friend of the family ask me to bypass the switch for this reason. It was funny, cause I thought he was paranoid. But he was willing to pay me, so..........................

jeffcoslacker
05-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Those Ford inertia switches were a PTA, they'd trip when you hit a pothole, sometimes if someone bumped it in a parking lot, I've even had customers swear it got tripped by a loud motorcycle riding by!

Good thing airbag sensors aren't that twitchy.

I had an older Cavalier that was dying everytime I came to a stop or turned a corner, with the oil light coming on just before it died, replaced the pressure sender and no more trouble.

Add your comment to this topic!