Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 toyota supra vs. 1993 mazda rx7

xyz7
05-04-2005, 11:42 PM
To me between these two cars the overall best in the rx7, engine performance, dynamics and estetics, clearly rx7 is better. Check out their pics a www.turtlewaxtour.com/gwt_main.html

D3rELiC
05-05-2005, 06:40 AM
u a tool? the inline 6 can take 1000 hp on stock botom end

drftk1d
05-05-2005, 10:39 AM
probably better on a road course or touge.

spam master.

ghostrx7
05-05-2005, 01:14 PM
supra=more reliable, and heavy
rx7, lighter more nimble, less reliable.
supra is more expensive also.

BlindspottNZ
05-07-2005, 10:40 PM
the 2jz is a craaazily good engine, id take it over a Rb26 any day.. and id deffiently be tempted to take it over a 13b

but! bring on the 20B and let the supra boys feel the fury!! :smokin:

if anyones interested i can get a link to a FD a shop called SP Engineering in australia did, twin turbo 2JZGTE conversion.. and it is a VERY good job. Its very rare in aus/nz for somone to swap out a rotor for a piston motor but this one is just pefect :eek:

drftk1d
05-08-2005, 12:41 PM
yeah i think everyone knows about the sp supra 7.

btw sp engineering is in california.

Soyo
05-08-2005, 07:14 PM
lol

nothing else to say

BlindspottNZ
05-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Really? I thought it was over here because i had seen their cars before

So im guessing youve seen the car then? Its rather nice :)

ghostrx7
05-09-2005, 02:43 PM
ya, its yellow right? only in my dreams!that car must be f-ing rediculous!

drftk1d
05-09-2005, 04:27 PM
i'd rather a supra engine not be anywhere close to a rx7 bay. thats just me.

D3rELiC
05-09-2005, 07:10 PM
yea, theyre like sworn enemy

BlindspottNZ
05-11-2005, 09:40 AM
i didnt say it was right, but its got novilty value :P

at least its not a god damn 50 year old pushrod v8

tubjub
05-13-2005, 09:11 PM
personally i think with equal work, both cars would be quite capable, but the stock 2jz motor (correct me if i'm wrong) is somewhere in the neighborhood of 300hp ? with just as much torque to back it up. a 13b out of an fd is just about the same "horsepower" but not as much torque. as to commenting what someone said earlier in this thread, an inline 6 probably could take 1000hp on a stock bottom end, and its not that unrealistic... try to pull 1000hp out of a 13b and see how much trouble you have. there are 1000hp supras that eat vipers alive at 8 second 1/4 miles, i'm sure you guys have seen them in the sport tuner mags. an equally equipped 7 would be DAMN fast, but ported to hell and back and barely streetable in my opinion, and that's COMING from a rotary owner, rotary's rock but pistons rule raw hp and drags.... period.

now i've never seen the innards of a 2jz toyota I-6, but i know that turbo mitsubishi 4g63t engines have braced bottom ends, all main caps come off as one piece that's also part of the bottom of the block (anybody know what i'm talking about ?? ) i was at a local speedshop the other day, and they were assembling that engine, after flowbenching the head and they said that particular setup was stock... i was amazed

i do know the toyota i-6's will take a beating, a SEVERE beating, you will most likely bust a piston skirt or snap a rod before you will spin a bearing... as goes for most of their motors, but that's just my personal experience with about half a dozen of them

now i give my 7 a licking and its showing stress... i don't know how a freshly built rotary would hold up, i'm kinda new to the scene

anywho, read the signature....

BlindspottNZ
05-14-2005, 04:57 AM
there are 1000hp 13Bs out there, but not in streetable form... you can get 1000hp out of a regular street driven 2jz! there are several street driven 8 second supras in the world

Personally i believe the 2jz is superior to a 13b, but they are totally different so it really isnt much of a comparison. Stock for stock a Fd and a new supra should be fairly equal, maximum horsepower.. the supra has it.

But like a said before, bring on a 20B and bye bye mr supra :D and its not like rotors are limited in ANY way, if the 20B doesnt do it, go get a 26B. If that doesnt do it, then go bigger again :lol2:

D3rELiC
05-14-2005, 08:13 AM
there are 1000hp 13Bs out there, but not in streetable form... you can get 1000hp out of a regular street driven 2jz! there are several street driven 8 second supras in the world

Personally i believe the 2jz is superior to a 13b, but they are totally different so it really isnt much of a comparison. Stock for stock a Fd and a new supra should be fairly equal, maximum horsepower.. the supra has it.

But like a said before, bring on a 20B and bye bye mr supra :D and its not like rotors are limited in ANY way, if the 20B doesnt do it, go get a 26B. If that doesnt do it, then go bigger again :lol2:

but if we put the engine figure asside, the overall performance winner should be the rx7 if its driven on a track, but i wonder if stock, the supra still have problems putting their power down.

drftk1d
05-14-2005, 11:12 AM
the trade-off is the weight of the vehicle.

thats why a 500hp rx7 could beat a 600hp supra.

the supra motor is a monster, i'm not doubting that. but consider the weight difference between a 2jz-gte and a 13b. A 2jz weighs about the same as a cast iron v8 (with turbos and shit). Its obvious that a 2jz can make more ultimate power in the end.

tubjub
05-15-2005, 07:05 PM
yeah, you're right... there's no mystery to power vs. weight. you want a thrill ride a 150hp crotch rocket... lol

anywho, i really question 1000hp on a 13b... there's just not enough displacement. a 20b i could understand, sure.

there's a series of videos from down under called "high octane" ...
in one video there is a guy with a 1200hp 20b, and that's bridge-ported, MASSIVE turbo, i don't know the inner workings of the engine but they'res no replacement for displacemet, same goes for anything.

in my own personal experience i've seen 700hp 13b's, but that's about it. just for my own reference i'd like to see a 13b with more than 700 actual hp.

and another thing, what is a 26b ? a cobbed up e-shaft welded together quad rotor ? sounds like junk to me...

read the signature.

Soyo
05-15-2005, 08:38 PM
and another thing, what is a 26b ? a cobbed up e-shaft welded together quad rotor ? sounds like junk to me...

if junk wins the le mans, then I would have to agree...

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/mazdar26b.html

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/787B/

http://www.monito.com/wankel/lemans.html

BlindspottNZ
05-16-2005, 01:34 AM
yes figures are pretty useless, i would imagine the supra would have more traction issues then the FD but ill have to find some stock circuit/drag times

BlindspottNZ
05-16-2005, 01:57 AM
Ok i did a really quick search of the most powerful 13Bs in australia, and im not sure if these figures are even up to date but i think that the most powerful one is making 940RWHP

This engine here (running in a datsun with the plate AVENGE) makes (or made at the time) 930RWHP

http://www.turtle.net.au/ausrotary/avenge13BTT1.jpg
http://www.turtle.net.au/ausrotary/avenge13BTT2.jpg

Theres a RX3 over here called [EAT.20B] which is now running in the 7's (i have a niice video of it :) ) which i think might have even more power then these two others. There are plenty of fasties around here tho

tubjub
05-16-2005, 12:54 PM
well that's awesome, never seen a 13b THAT powerful...

and to "junk" i referred to earlier,

the motor you are referring to, that's a whole DIFFERENT engine.... quad rotor from the ground up... Producing over 700 hp the R26B quad rotor engine was peripherally ported and incorporated steeples variable induction plus three plugs per rotor (instead of the usual two). and, naturally aspirated i might add.

that's not even comparable... lol c'mon now. you try finding one of those engines.

i have seen guys that weld e-shafts together and essentially make two 13b's or a "26b" but that's just not the same in my opinion.

drftk1d
05-16-2005, 01:33 PM
no welding two e shafts togehter (which btw is impossible without cutting then) is a stupid idea, so they reforge a whole new e-shaft there are shops in australia and a shop in japan called Scoot who made their own custom 4 rotor engine. Scoot's uses the rotors and houseings from a 12a and a newly forged e-shaft.

displacement is not the only factor in determinning ultimate horsepower. Explain how F1 engines in the past made over 1000hp on a 1.5L piston motor? Why then is it so impossible on a rotary motor of similar displacement (and you can argue more if you'd like)

tubjub
05-16-2005, 07:31 PM
alright, i see what ur saying... but honestly, can any of us afford the bankroll to pull 1000hp from such little displacement ?

hell money makes anything possible, but cubic inches really help things... lol

i'm just speaking in terms of practicality, not wishful or dreamy.

and i know this is the wrong place to say this, but nascar has been pulling 800-900hp at 10,000rpm out of a small-block chevy or dodge engine for years, no more than about 360 cubic inches in displacement, at a cost of what ... $50k ? Maybe ? Maybe more ? i don't know about ya'll but i can't afford $50 for a car much less an engine...

just my $.02

Soyo
05-16-2005, 10:43 PM
for $50,000 you could get a 26B into an rx-7 and have a little change to spare so I don't see what is so special about nascar cars

D3rELiC
05-17-2005, 06:08 AM
displacement is not the only factor in determinning ultimate horsepower. Explain how F1 engines in the past made over 1000hp on a 1.5L piston motor? Why then is it so impossible on a rotary motor of similar displacement (and you can argue more if you'd like)

they were running 4 bar of boost in qualifying form, thats why these 4 bangers were making 1400 hp

drftk1d
05-17-2005, 06:52 AM
alright, i see what ur saying... but honestly, can any of us afford the bankroll to pull 1000hp from such little displacement ?

hell money makes anything possible, but cubic inches really help things... lol

i'm just speaking in terms of practicality, not wishful or dreamy.

and i know this is the wrong place to say this, but nascar has been pulling 800-900hp at 10,000rpm out of a small-block chevy or dodge engine for years, no more than about 360 cubic inches in displacement, at a cost of what ... $50k ? Maybe ? Maybe more ? i don't know about ya'll but i can't afford $50 for a car much less an engine...

just my $.02

i dont see your point. it takes money to go fast always.

tubjub
05-17-2005, 08:21 AM
my point is ... can anybody in here afford a $50,000 engine ? I know I can't...

some speak of terms that are hardly realistic. I don't know of anybody that can afford a 20b let alone a r26b. Maybe you guys are rich and i'm a fuckin broke ass, but ...

and if it really came down to it, i think i'd be putting that $50g's towards something more important than an engine for my car...

again, just my $.02

Soyo
05-18-2005, 12:02 PM
you brought up the nascar thing which costs $50,000 so I simply said I could do better with that $50k...

plus we all know that any race engine like that will need more money than that to use very much because they aren't made to be reliable so you would need another large chunk of money to be able to use it more than a few times

either way I'll take a rotary any day

Add your comment to this topic!