Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mirror Installation

airtight_python
05-04-2005, 06:05 PM
I have a Gentex mirror (GNTX-261) with autodim, compass, temp and passenger airbag display. I've started tearing down the headliner in the front because it seems to be glued down way to well. The headliner is getting messed up and I want to know if there is going to be a plug under it and if it will work for this mirror. How far is the plug under there? I didn't feel it in about the first 3 inches. I dont want to do screw up my headliner for nothing.

twomorestrokes
05-05-2005, 02:46 PM
I have a Gentex mirror (GNTX-261) with autodim, compass, temp and passenger airbag display. I've started tearing down the headliner in the front because it seems to be glued down way to well. The headliner is getting messed up and I want to know if there is going to be a plug under it and if it will work for this mirror. How far is the plug under there? I didn't feel it in about the first 3 inches. I dont want to do screw up my headliner for nothing.

I assume that you do not have the overhead console. I can only answer for the way my '02 was set up WITH an overhead console. After pulling the console down in front, I was able to see a small harness through the hole in the headliner where the map light wires come through. I tugged on it and out popped a small plug. It happened to be the correct harness, and although my autodim mirror with compass is out of an Oldsmobile, it still plugged in and works fine. I'd say that this harness was about 4" back from front center and the plug seemed to be secured by an unseen clip holding it to the inner bracing to not rattle around. I hope you have the same harness in the same place if you don't have the console, but I can't say.

airtight_python
05-05-2005, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I dont have a center console but also plan to add one. I've come to the conclusion that there is not a harness for the mirror. I noticed in the drivers side pillar there are only 6-8 wires wrapped in the electrical tap, 2 of those I would assume are for the dome light.. maybe the others for the 3rd brake light. I guess none for the mirror harness? I'll have to purchase a harness and temp probe... damn, that's gonna be a pain in the ass. Thanks for the help.

twomorestrokes
05-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I dont have a center console but also plan to add one. I've come to the conclusion that there is not a harness for the mirror. I noticed in the drivers side pillar there are only 6-8 wires wrapped in the electrical tap, 2 of those I would assume are for the dome light.. maybe the others for the 3rd brake light. I guess none for the mirror harness? I'll have to purchase a harness and temp probe... damn, that's gonna be a pain in the ass. Thanks for the help.

keep us posted.

Add your comment to this topic!