Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Yet a new noise on my Silverado

twomorestrokes
05-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Any ideas? Squeeling noise from under the hood shortly after turning A/C on. Goes away when turning A/C off. Lasts a few seconds then gone. Once it goes away, I can turn A/C on and off and it's quiet. A/C works fine, belt and pulleys looks good but sounds like belt or compressor squawk? Can't see it when it's doing it because it's intermittent and happens on light accell. :confused:

Heard rumors on a bulletin, but I'm not sure. It is getting embarrasing when instead of people commenting on my good looking new/used truck, all they have to say is "what was that noise I heard when you were pulling out yesterday?" :mad:

swift1069
05-04-2005, 08:14 PM
your tension pulley may not be keeping the belt as tight as it is suppost to be, which could be cause by a stretched belt or the spring in the pulley may be getting weak

twomorestrokes
05-05-2005, 07:35 AM
your tension pulley may not be keeping the belt as tight as it is suppost to be, which could be cause by a stretched belt or the spring in the pulley may be getting weak

I'll have them check that when I take it in. I've only had the truck 2 weeks. The salesman heard it while we were on a test drive, so it was noted as part of the sales agreement.

twomorestrokes
05-05-2005, 12:07 PM
I just took a better look at it and the belt does indeed seem loose. However, on this 6.0 the A/C belt comes directly off the crank pully and drives the compressor only. The main serpentine belt has a spring loaded tensioner, but this is a separate system. Can't see how to adjust anything but there's got to be a way. The compressor appears to be rigidly mounted to the bluck, but I need to take the intake tube off to get a better look.

swift1069
05-05-2005, 05:16 PM
well if all you have is a belt problem then your doing good so far. My dad has a 2004 silverado and he is having electrical problems with his, when he turn his blinkers on his flashers will come on..You have to turn the blinkers off then hit your flashers on and off then your blinkers will work right again. It doesn't happen all the time so when we take it to the shop they don't find anything wrong with the truck. It's starting to become a big hassel..

chuck16
05-05-2005, 05:45 PM
It also could be a bad bearing in the A/C Compressor pulley itself. But, my money is on one of the belts.
Get somebody to do it with the hood up and see if you can sort of sense where it's coming from....
Happy Hunting.... :(

Mork
05-06-2005, 08:30 AM
My 99 did the same thing. It is the drive belt for the air conditioning. When you go to replace it you may find the tensioner seized a little. Just work it back and forth to free it up.

Add your comment to this topic!