Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rearend Noises

Hauler
05-04-2005, 02:17 AM
Immediate problem:
Think of a pool ball in a tube laying across the back at the tailgate. As I zigzag across a parking lot I hear the clunk clunk clunk of the ball hitting either end of the tube.

After riding back there to hear better and ruling out loose body parts, it seems the only option left are parts enclosed ie. axle. Any axle/rearend parts that could be sliding back and forth? This has been going on for a while.

Additionally, and perhaps related, from day one (217,000 miles ago) there has been a clunk from the rear going over bumbs--speed bumps, curbs, rocks. Again, for ten years I have checked for loose body parts and found none. Could this be related? Could something in the axle be floating lose for 217,000 miles?

Thanks for any help

Canucklehead
05-04-2005, 06:05 AM
Have you made sure that your jack is stowed securely? If it isn't in its bracket nice and tight it can clunk around.

Hauler
05-04-2005, 06:15 AM
Yep, Jack was tight, I even wedged the washer res to make sure that wasn't swinging a bit. Checked spare tire rack too.

While doing the parking lot test we had the rear window up and the "clunk" sounded as if it were coming from OUTSIDE. I looked between fuel tank and body, but see nothing.

thnaks

amigo-2k
05-04-2005, 08:39 AM
worn out bushings in the leaf springs?

Hauler
05-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Leaf spring bushings??!!!

OOHHH!!
You meant LEAF SPRING BUSHINGS!!!! Like those little pieces of black rubber coming out and falling down from the ends of the leaf springs where I've been holding on to in order to crawl under this thing?? THOSE leaf springs?? Couldn't be them there not there!! I know, I just looked.

I'll come back after I put in some new leaf spring bushings. Thanks.

Hauler
05-04-2005, 04:10 PM
So, bushings for the rear shackles come in by 0800 tomorrow and the fronts will arrive by 1200. To prep I pulled what was left of the rear bushings out and pulled the bolt out of the fronts. The fronts don't look too bad and plus they are not two piece and are looking to be stuburn about coming out. Hate to do a lazy thing and leave them in, but...

Any body done this before and know of problems likely to visit me in the near future if I leave the front bushings alone? By noon tomorrow I'll have made my decision.

Many thanks for the bushing suggestion. I'm good for another 200,000 or so.

Hauler
05-05-2005, 07:57 PM
WOW & UGH
Wow, for $14.60 worth of rubber(I didn't change out the front two) she drives like a dream--I think I hit every speed bump in town on the test drive.

Ugh, for all the years I've driven dreading every speed bump and pot hole. I used to consider myself a pretty good Saturday mechanic. Thanks again folks.

marcre
05-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Awesome!!! Nothing like getting it fixed, that is satisfaction. Congrats

Marc

radrobbie
10-16-2007, 08:47 PM
I feel your joy. I just changed out my rear leaf spring bushings (or like you said, what was left of them). I absolutely cannot belive the new feeling the truck (93 rodeo) has. It made such a difference, I think the engine runs better, it's quiter, and I even think it's just a little bit cleaner.

I also didn't change the front bushings out. They seemed in good shape, were pliable, and weren't coming out anyway.

If anyont hasn't checked these bushings, they should. Now.

andrew_j
10-16-2007, 08:58 PM
agreed my trucks bushings were so shot that my rear end would move enough to where it would snap back into place when i turned the opposite direction. wreaked some havk on the tread of my tires im sure.

does anyone have the indepndent4x polyurethane ones? i was curious as to the quality of them.

Cat Fuzz
10-17-2007, 01:18 AM
This thread is well over two years old. :licka:

Add your comment to this topic!