Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Piston slap revisited

Moose is loose
05-03-2005, 10:09 PM
My '03 Silverado has developed the classic symptoms of piston slap at a ever so convenient 35,000 miles. When started in the morning it sounds like a cold 6.9 litre Ford diesel. It "ticks" continuously throughout the day. I spent the morning at the Dealership at thought I would share my experience with crowd.

The following is taken directly from the dealer work order:

C/S: Minor engine:
If you start engine cold-put in gear-engine will knock loudly after takeoff for 1-2 minutes--also knocks and ticks after warmed up all day.

(dealership): started engine cold with shop foreman--only noise heard at this time is normal cold tick/knock that goes away as engine warms up and pistons heat up--short skirted pistons cause this noise--see history on previous RO's. Customer needs to bring back if noise persists. If engine problem worsens or engine fails due to problem indicated regardless of mileage customer needs to bring back and we will work with GM to ensure repairs are covered by GM.

My previous RO's are the same problem at 20,500 miles, but went away mysteriously at 26,000.

Needless to say, I had to "work" the service manager over a bit to actually write this on the Work Order. He also stated that GM has in fact attempted to address this problem that so many of us have. Their solution? Top Engine cleaner. Even the Service manager said it doesn't do a thing to correct the problem and he himself drives a knock-machine (I heard it). My advice is to get something like this in writing from the Dealer if you are like me and have roughly 1K of warranty left, or have 10 miles on your rig, regardless.

BTW, my '02 Yukon has had Royal Purple in it since day 1. Now has 52,000 miles with no knocking or ticking to speak of. Not saying that is the solution, or has even helped, but my Silverado gets it tomorrow. Isn't GM great? A Titan is looking better every day!

BlenderWizard
05-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Jap trucks are ROLLING BLASPHEMY!

Moose is loose
05-03-2005, 11:39 PM
I know, I know it pains me to think of buying one, but in reality, a Titan is 100% U.S. made. My Silverado was made in Canada.......

BlenderWizard
05-04-2005, 06:23 AM
As far as I'm concerned, if it doesn't say Ford, Dodge, or Chevy, it's a Japanese truck.

who fan
05-04-2005, 06:02 PM
If I`m going to spend $30000+ I don`t care who makes it. I want a good truck.The American companys don`t wave the the flag for the American worker, so why should anyone wave a flag for them?

Moose is loose
05-04-2005, 06:06 PM
I most definitely agree!

Chevyman15004X4
05-04-2005, 06:10 PM
I don't think the nissan titan has been out long enough to make a real good comparison with the other trucks. I did test drive one though and they get descent fuel mileage and great acceleration. If I remember they are even cheaper than most of the chevy trucks yet have most of the fetures. I just can't get along with that wierd dash style.

BlenderWizard
05-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Well, to each his own...

Moose is loose
05-05-2005, 12:06 AM
I agree that the dash is a bit "unconventional" and that it has not been around for a long enough time to show real reliablility numbers, but if you haven't; test drive one. They are leaps and bounds ahead of the current chevy's. Hopefully GM does something with the new '07 models that will help regain my loyalty.

Add your comment to this topic!