Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

newbie looking for some answers

davvpar
05-03-2005, 10:06 PM
hello, i just go into this group from being previously in the Team swift forum group, but now i own a 1984 VW Rabbit GTI with the 1.8 and a 5 speed tranny. and the questions i have are, how much horsepower does a stock 1.8 have and will a 1.7 head fit onto a 1.8 block because i want to port and polish a 1.8 head to go with my new rabbit, but i don't want to have my car out of commission while i wait for the head, so i was wondering if i get a 1.7 head from the yunk yard will it bolt on.

boschmann
05-04-2005, 04:52 PM
As I remember they do interchange, its been a long time though.

litljenarey
05-06-2005, 01:24 AM
Hi, kinda funny, I have been a VWvortex member for a long time....just started hanging out on Team Swift :)
I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your qeustion, but I guarentee that the guys on the vortex do. check with them www.vwvortex.com or possibly http://s87762315.onlinehome.us/ (the rabbit archives) they have great info.

Hope things go well.
Jenny

termitesgraffix
05-09-2005, 10:58 AM
If I am not mistaken, the 1.8 is in the upper 90+HP (97?) The heads DO interchange. And will probly get you higher compression. BUT... you have a GTI... The stock head on the 1.8 GTI has larger ports than the 1.8 and the 1.7. So you will be killing your flow. 1.8 GTI heads are cheap and easy to find in any junkyard. Any reason why you are wanting 1.7? Why not find a 1.8 GTI head to run for the time. Another tip would be to get another junker car to drive, while you work on the other. Having only one car and that car being your toy and tuner is always asking for a hard time and rushed project. It is better to have a fun car and a car to hop in real fast in case you have to run to the store to get parts or go to work the next day. That way you can just leave the other one sit, til you are done.

stevo86
08-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Hey, Im looking into a 82 Rabbit Conv. Its 2200$ canadain. The body is mint 220,000 kms. 5spd trans. Gas. The dealership is installing a new fuel pump. Wondering what i should be looking for problems wise. Is it worth the cash? Any input would be Greatly appreciated! Thanks guys

Add your comment to this topic!