Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'91 Z34

jeffcoslacker
05-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Blundered into one at a car lot today, took it for a ride. It was in good (not perfect) condition, had about 100K miles on it.

The owner seemed interested in a straight trade for my Lumina, so I put it through the paces. Am still wondering where the extra 40 hp was. :sly: My '97 3.1 woulda not just kept up, I'da walked all over it.

Seemed to run well, just not as "punchy" as I expected. Thinking maybe the timing belt was changed and something wasn't clocked right.

Anybody know? :confused:

Gonna keep looking.

Kinda disappointed. Nice looking car. Always liked that gen of lumina better. Feel really huge on the inside, one thing I really like about them.

Anybody want to entertain a trade for one, let me know.

Carwhiz
05-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Z34's are getting harder and harder to find with low miles and in good shape. up here in minnesota they are all rusted out, beat on, and what not. Ive been looking for months for a good buy.

Carwhiz
05-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Same thing running into with Taurus SHO's, I wouldn't mind comparing a SHO and Z34 straight up.

jeffcoslacker
05-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Z34's are getting harder and harder to find with low miles and in good shape. up here in minnesota they are all rusted out, beat on, and what not. Ive been looking for months for a good buy.

There are a lot of them down here. Don't know about miles, but most look pretty good. There's a black one in the neighborhood here for sale that is really sharp. I haven't stopped and checked the price or miles, but it is somebody's baby for sure. I've had my eye on it for a couple of years now. It's always clean and waxed, etc.

Manny_boy
05-06-2005, 07:32 AM
Seemed to run well, just not as "punchy" as I expected. Thinking maybe the timing belt was changed and something wasn't clocked right.

Anybody know? :confused:

Probably the timing like you said. That will definately affect your ability to get a good neck snap.

cdavenport
06-20-2005, 08:46 PM
The Z34 can't compare to a SHO. I have owned both. The Taurus is all leather, has every option available and has a lot more power. There is no comparison, Taurus has more room inside, trunk, etc., sunroof, antitheft/alarm std....

94"Che-rolet"Z34
06-21-2005, 10:22 PM
i own on of the z's and love it... mine is the sharp black one of my town... absolutely love it... and, it is definantely my baby... and still has its snap... bought it with only 68900 miles for 2 grand, and except for a few door dings(which continue to grow in numbers, along with the various keyings...) it was a straight car in excellent condition.

jeffcoslacker
06-22-2005, 12:19 AM
The Z34 can't compare to a SHO. I have owned both. The Taurus is all leather, has every option available and has a lot more power. There is no comparison, Taurus has more room inside, trunk, etc., sunroof, antitheft/alarm std....

I haven't seen a SHO that actually ran in so long, I couldn't tell ya'. I imagine the stick makes it FEEL stronger. I think the numbers don't really show an appreciable power advantage.

I remember driving them when they came through the shop when they first came out, and my impression was that while they accelerated nicely, the ride absolutley sucked for the minimal (and I mean minimal) improvement in handling that the SHO's suspension provided.

Most of them I've seen in the last few years looked like the trunk was fulla phone books, sagging terribly. Not sure what that's about.

jeffcoslacker
06-22-2005, 12:28 AM
The SHO beats the Z34 by .1 sec in the quarter mile, 0-60 times identical, after bumping up the displacement from 3.0 originally to 3.4 in later models, the SHO was a full second SLOWER in 0-60 time and half second slower in the quarter, despite the automatic trans. What happened? :sly:

jeffcoslacker
06-22-2005, 12:31 AM
BTW, 5 hp is not "a lot more power"

NeonKnight
06-22-2005, 03:04 PM
BTW, 5 hp is not "a lot more power"

No, but 20 is :D its not alot, but it is decent. 300 hp is lots lots lots lots more!

Add your comment to this topic!