Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

AMT 62 corvette thoughts?

blubaja
05-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Hey,

Does anyone have this kit, or any renditions of it by AMT? The rims don't look that great. But it seems kindof cool. So has anyone ever built this corvette by AMT?
http://www.ertltoys.com/images/products/amt/2005/38250_lg.jpg
Thanks,
Frank X.

Layla's Keeper
05-03-2005, 06:03 PM
AMT originally released that Vette kit as an annual in 1962. The body contours are mostly accurate, but you'll have to deal with typical 1960's AMT non-Trophy Series details like chrome plated headlights, wire axle chassis with all the detail molded in, and one piece interior buckets.

It's buildable, but if you want a detailed quad-headlight solid axle Vette, the best kit is the Revell-Monogram 1958/59 Corvette kit.

I've heard some guys have tried to mate the two kits' bodies to come up with a fully detailed 1962 (1962 Vettes have a sharp edged tail that was a hint of the new Stingray styling to come) but that there are some significant dimensional differences between the AMT 1962 and the RVM 1958.

ZoomZoomMX-5
05-03-2005, 06:39 PM
It's pretty crude by today's standards. The headlights are undersized, the chrome pieces like the grille/bumpers are also crude. Lots of TLC to get it looking as it deserves. They apparently updated the model to take those huge wheel and tire combos. The older version can be built stock or as a street machine.

There is a great resin kit from Historic Racing Miniatures (Harold Bradford)to make a '62 from the excellent Revell '59, but it's not cheap (I think it's $65). He also makes a '61.

If you're not put off by diecast (I always find diecast-bodied Corvettes w/plastic chassis quite ironic), Revell offers a very decent '62 that depicts the "Route 66" TV show '62 Corvette (it's discontinued but not hard to find). It's worlds better than the AMT kit, and I think Hobby Heaven has them on sale for 9 or 10 bucks. There's an assembled version w/figures, and an unassembled version. The only cheesy item is a mandatory rear luggage rack.

blubaja
05-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Hey,

Thanks guys! Do ya'll know if there is a hard top or soft top option? I hate convertible kits that are lacking uptops. I'm not looking for a super detalied kit. Just a simple '62 vette. This will suffice:-D

Thanks again guys,
Frank X.

ZoomZoomMX-5
05-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Hey,

Thanks guys! Do ya'll know if there is a hard top or soft top option? I hate convertible kits that are lacking uptops. I'm not looking for a super detalied kit. Just a simple '62 vette. This will suffice:-D

Thanks again guys,
Frank X.

Older versions of the AMT '62 had removable uptops (hardtop-not fabric softop), so I would assume the latest one does as well.

Scale-Master
05-04-2005, 10:35 AM
The proportions on it are really off. I started to build a replica of a friends '61 with it and after comparing the basic shape with the real car, I decided he couldn't afford to have it done right. I used a Diecast... - Mark

Add your comment to this topic!