pcm

dasshue
05-03-2005, 02:46 PM
my 95, 2.2 cavalier just fired the PCM, im getting no voltage from the ignition module, and the crank sensor is good... at first we just thought it was a coil pack casue i lost 2 cylinders, after testing the pack to be good, and trying another, i got the module tested... it tested out fine. at two differnt places... now all hooked up, we have no spark. ican get a new ECU installed from the dealer for bout 300. i also found them used for bout 75. i know this year has a tendancy to lose the PCM, and was wondering if i should chance getting the used one, or get a ew one.... i also heard that if i get one, it the rest needs to be programmed by the dealer in order to work right... i need input

-dasshue

deadBird
05-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Make sure your battery & alternator aren't dead first.

dasshue
05-03-2005, 07:53 PM
alternator is still new, and the battery has a full charge

deadBird
05-03-2005, 09:10 PM
If you haven't already, I believe the ignition module is a recall part. Possibly take it to a GM dealer and see if it's already replaced. Also did you check your spark plug wires? And yes, the PCM will need to be programmed by the dealer.

dasshue
05-03-2005, 09:17 PM
the ignition mod was just replaced a few weeks ago, we got ithe new one tested several times at multiple places to make sure it was still good
we had an LED tester hooked right up to the ignition module contacts and cranked it over, like specified in several repair manuals and no voltage came out even at that level

deadBird
05-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Replace the fuses and relays?

dasshue
05-03-2005, 09:20 PM
yes, this all ahppend in stages.. i lost 2 and 3 then the next day lost 1 and 4

deadBird
05-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Well I would certainly check all my grounds for breaks and corrosion. Then I'd check for shorts/loose wiring. After that I'd go through and replace the essential relays and fuses. After that I'd conclude it to be the PCM or voltage regulator.

dasshue
05-03-2005, 09:43 PM
lol we just re- did all of the grounds too, this isnt looking to be a easy fix lol thanks for the help tho

Add your comment to this topic!