Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4WD Won't DIS-engage

CanaMark
05-03-2005, 03:57 AM
I just took my rig off road, got it baptised. I can not get it out of 4WD high. Tried all the tricks. Tried moving the stick with clutch down/up, Reversed (stopped, moving), 1st gear (stopped, moving). Can not even get it into 4WD Low. What the heck is going on here??? I have done nothing to it, no mods like lift kit.....yet, or larger tires.......yet. Its not safe driving it in 4WD high in the middle of summer, at highway speeds. But it has to be done.

HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!

Also I dented my oil pan again, getting that ticking sound that I got earlier. The crankshaft is hitting the oil pan. I did not hit any rocks, so my thought is my front leaf springs are shot causing the front axle to come up and bend my oil pan in. This would be due to large pot holes on the trail. I did not see where the dent is, but I am going by what my last oil pan looked like. And it was dented at the very front on the bottom side where it curves up to form the wall of the pan, I can not see how a rock can hit that when its up over the axle like that.

stangfreak7
05-03-2005, 09:59 AM
First of all, what year jeep do you have??? Secondly, while it isnt the best thing to run your jeep in 4 wheel high all the time, especially on hard surfaces (ex. asphault) it shouldnt hurt anything to do so. This will just help keep the front axle lubricated for the summer if you know what i mean... Get back to me with the year of your jeep and I might be able to throw some suggestions your way to help ya out...

myjeepsux420
05-03-2005, 11:29 AM
Make sure to check the fluid level in the t-case. Mine got stuck in 2wd and it wouldn't shift until I filled her up and drove a few miles.

CanaMark
05-04-2005, 02:07 AM
1993 YJ 5Spd. I6

Axle is definatly hitting the pan. Chit Chatted with a buddy of mine, says could be tie rod ends are loose, I say what about leaf springs that are shot. So I gotta drain the oil a couple times to get all the metal shavings out of the system. New oil filter, another new pan, new gasket. Then buddy says we will figure out what the deal is, hopefully weld up a skid plate.

fredjacksonsan
05-04-2005, 12:02 PM
Leaving a part time 4wd system in 4wd on hard payment is NOT recommended, and will cause undue wear on your axle and tires, and may cause damage to the axle or transfer case, so minimize your time on the road and make shallow turns.

Check the linkage on your 4wd shifter, and follow myjeepsux420's advice on checking the fluid level.

benny1300
05-11-2005, 08:37 PM
you can manually disengage the 4wd from underneath back into 2wd

CanaMark
05-11-2005, 09:51 PM
How do I do that benny?

I will be getting a 4" suspension lift by Skyjacker. They seem to be most popular. And I want to get the 3" body lift, to stuff some cheapo 35" tires. I see on most rigs they use detroit lockers on the rear, and arbs on front, why is that? What do you think about quick disconnect sway away arms? claims to give you 5" more suspension travel.

benny1300
05-12-2005, 02:54 PM
canamark, you can manually change from 2-4wd from the shift linkage on the t-case. just crawl under your rig from either the drivers side or the pass, and its right infront of the skid plate. the sway arm disconnects will help with flexing off road, depending on your rear axle just becareful with the 35's... but im sure you know this!

CanaMark
05-12-2005, 07:08 PM
You'd think wouldn't ya benny.

I KNOW NOTHING :)

LMFAO

benny1300
05-13-2005, 05:34 PM
I didnt want to insult your knowledge... let me know if I can help out in anyother way

CanaMark
05-13-2005, 11:52 PM
No worries man, just a little drunk is all

I get goofy when the juice gets in me

Anyway I see the linkage under the rig, have to take off the skid plate, those bolts are on tight, probably rusted. Broke 2 off, luckily completely off. One broke my deep socket, I will return it to mastercraft, and hopefully get another for free. I will have to wait, or just buy another one. I need leverage so I get a pipe along with my breaker bar. That will surely do the job. Just got an idea, I will buy the same deep socket but in a high impact metal (black) for air tools. Get a pipe and lever that pup out.

Add your comment to this topic!